• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is carrying a gun on a college campus a crime?

nuc65

Activist Member
Channel 13 posted a story in regards to last weeks extreme police response at Va. Tech. when a MWAG call came in.

Weapons on College Campuses--Legal or Not?
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 5:55 PM EST

http://www.wset.com/story/15219266/legalities-of-weapons-on-college-campuses

{(I've highlighted some comments that I found interesting)}

Reporter: David Tate

Blacksburg, VA - Classes resumed at Virginia Tech today, but the scare of a possible gunman on campus Thursday is still bringing up a lot of questions about the legality of weapons on college campuses.

Campus police didn't want to take any chances and called in plenty of backup Thursday [highlight]even though someone carrying a weapon may not even be breaking the law.[/highlight]

It [highlight]isn't a black and white issue[/highlight]{HUH?}, and considering Virginia Tech's history, school administrators say it was the expected response.

As law enforcement scoured Virginia Tech's campus, put out alerts, hustled kids from one safe place to another, and basically shut down the campus all together , [highlight]administrators knew they were in a gray area of sorts because what set off the alarm may not have been against the law.[/highlight]

"As long as you're legal age and you are out in the open, you can legally carry. These are public sidewalks, those are public streets," said Larry Hincker, the university spokesman.

That means[highlight] anyone who can legally carry a weapon while visiting campus can have it on them[/highlight]. Virginia Tech's weapons policy only covers certain things and certain people.

"On a college campus the buildings are going to be restricted, and also we restrict our own employees and our own students. So that's when you all of a sudden start getting into the nuances," said Hincker.

It's those nuances that sound the alarm as security makes sure everything related to that weapon checks out, whether it's legal or not.

"It has to do with what is that person doing? Why are they on a college campus? Are they brandishing? Are they here to do something? But in the state of Virginia it is legal as long as it is in the open," added Hincker."The reality is, whether it's open carry or not, anybody with a weapon on a college campus is going to set off alarm."

The bottom line is that[highlight] if you visit the Virginia Tech campus and feel the need to carry your weapon, expect to be on the receiving end of a quick response if it's seen.[/highlight]

{Nuances my ass!}

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You're preachin to the choir Nuc.

I kinda hope we don't have any OC incidents on campus this year because they WILL solicit a huge show of force and despite what some think, there isn't much chance of a successful lawsuit if they violate a few civil rights in the process.

VCDL will be concentrating on schools this year in the General Assembly. Less bad press during that time is always better.
Just my opinion.:uhoh: