• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you OC at Sky Harbor

Phxbluesman

The answer is yes!!

This topic came up in the First-time-flying-with-firearm thread, and after some searching I came across an archive of the original post from the old OCDO that was lost in the switch to the new forum. It is a good read with posts from a Phoenix police LT assigned to Sky Harbor and a TSA agent.

WAYBACK MACHINE
http://web.archive.org/web/20090414071815/http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum10/11155-1.html

If the goal is normalizing the sight of a person OCing , the airport certainly is a very public place to encounter lots of sheeple. I have already advised my wife I will be OCing the next time we go to pick or drop someone off.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Sky harbor is unposted as far as I know at this moment. However... during my past visits I've asked the dudes in the Info booths and the Airport Security weenies 'bout 'carrying guns' which resulted in the same reaction as announcing you have leprosy. Don't count on airport 'authorities' to actually know anything.

mzbk2l

Did either of you read the OP or the link? He's not asking the question, he's preserving an old thread from here in which the question was answered convincingly.

SR, that was one of the first threads you ever posted on here... don't tell me you've had so much fun since then that you've forgotten! :)

Sonora Rebel

Did either of you read the OP or the link? He's not asking the question, he's preserving an old thread from here in which the question was answered convincingly.

SR, that was one of the first threads you ever posted on here... don't tell me you've had so much fun since then that you've forgotten! :)

I dunno how convincing the answer was... but the people who work Sky Harbor inside the terminal seem to have remained terminally clueless. I won't be the guinea pig that carries a sidearm past the doors there for that reason. Phoenix is a long way from home.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I open carried at Sky Harbor before 9/11

I dunno how convincing the answer was... but the people who work Sky Harbor inside the terminal seem to have remained terminally clueless. I won't be the guinea pig that carries a sidearm past the doors there for that reason. Phoenix is a long way from home.

I have open carried at Sky Harbor before 9/11, but not since then. If we are going to do it, the way to do it would be in a group, looking good, and spending money outside the secure area. I am trying to remember what restaurants are available outside the secure area.

We also would want to make it a very public event, with reporters notified beforehand, preferably ones that we have a better opinion of.

With enough prior planning, we could pull this off, especially in the summer when news is low. I could try to bring up a couple people from Yuma. I think a Saturday would be best.

I have open carried at Sky Harbor before 9/11, but not since then. If we are going to do it, the way to do it would be in a group, looking good, and spending money outside the secure area. I am trying to remember what restaurants are available outside the secure area.

We also would want to make it a very public event, with reporters notified beforehand, preferably ones that we have a better opinion of.

With enough prior planning, we could pull this off, especially in the summer when news is low. I could try to bring up a couple people from Yuma. I think a Saturday would be best.

I open carry every time I go to Sky Harbor. Haven't had a real problem yet. The last time was this past spring.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

We also would want to make it a very public event, with reporters notified beforehand, preferably ones that we have a better opinion of. With enough prior planning, we could pull this off, especially in the summer when news is low. I could try to bring up a couple people from Yuma. I think a Saturday would be best.
Be careful what you wish for...

A couple of years ago we (AzCDL) were able to kill a bill that would have extended the "secure" area of the airport to anywhere the airport authority (Phoenix owns it I believe) wants it to go. It was so poorly worded they could have theoretically made the secure area the entire city of Phoenix.

An organized group carrying in the terminal to prove a point most likely will have unintended consequences in the legislature. Republicans control the legislature and like to be seen as pro "law and order." It was Republicans that gave us the Patriot Act, Homeland Security and TSA.

I would be willing to bet that a group of well-dressed and behaved open carriers at the Phoenix airport will result in legislation being introduced, passed and signed into law that would ban guns in the non-secure areas, especailly if it happens during or close to a legsiatlive session.

Please think it through gentlemen. Proving a point about exercising our right to bear arms may not have the impact you are looking for.

Fred

ccwinstructor

Centurion
It reads as though we do not need to, as per post #7.

Be careful what you wish for...

A couple of years ago we (AzCDL) were able to kill a bill that would have extended the "secure" area of the airport to anywhere the airport authority (Phoenix owns it I believe) wants it to go. It was so poorly worded they could have theoretically made the secure area the entire city of Phoenix.

An organized group carrying in the terminal to prove a point most likely will have unintended consequences in the legislature. Republicans control the legislature and like to be seen as pro "law and order." It was Republicans that gave us the Patriot Act, Homeland Security and TSA.

I would be willing to bet that a group of well-dressed and behaved open carriers at the Phoenix airport will result in legislation being introduced, passed and signed into law that would ban guns in the non-secure areas, especailly if it happens during or close to a legsiatlive session.

Please think it through gentlemen. Proving a point about exercising our right to bear arms may not have the impact you are looking for.

Fred

As read in post seven, it appears that we do not need to prove a point. Thanks for your insight. Conserving resources and picking the right fights are important parts of strategy.

Phxbluesman

I thought the original post answered the question but just in case, Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV confirmed he has ODed at Sky Harbor multiple times with no issues.

If I am reading AZCDLfred right, since the AzCDL was able to kill the bill that would have extended the secure area, that they support OCing in Sky Harbor?

azcdlfred

If I am reading AZCDLfred right, since the AzCDL was able to kill the bill that would have extended the secure area, that they support OCing in Sky Harbor?
We support, and work toward preserving and restoring, the right to bear arms for the law abiding in Arizona. That includes the non-federally controlled areas of an airport.

AzCDL can't accomplish diddly squat unless we have a growing and active membership. I assume most of you are members? You are either on the steam roller or part of the road.

Fred

Last edited:

MITCH

We support, and work toward preserving and restoring, the right to bear arms for the law abiding in Arizona. That includes the non-federally controlled areas of an airport.

AzCDL can't accomplish diddly squat unless we have a growing and active membership. I assume most of you are members? You are either on the steam roller or part of the road.

Fred

Fred: Like the "steam roller" statement. Remember, you may "prove the point" and in so doing, may blunt the weapon. AzCDL has, and is, doing a great job and deserves the support of all, gun owners and citizens alike.
Mitch

Phxbluesman

I agree that the airport is not the wisest choice to have an OC meetup and although I started (revived) this thread, for the record I never once considered trying to prove a point there. That is why I asked if the AzCDL supported OC at Sky Harbor at all as I did not want to "blunt the weapon" just by OCing there when I pick up my lady there tomorrow. Just because I can doesn't always mean I should. The AzCDL has done alot of great things for 2A rights in AZ and I would hate to see anything detract from that. If we were going to gather as a group to make a point we should do it somewhere where it is actually needed, not at a place where we already have established our rights.

I thought the original post answered the question but just in case, Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV confirmed he has ODed at Sky Harbor multiple times with no issues.

OD'ed? Has somebody been slipping drugs into my coffee again? :)

Last edited:

Phxbluesman

Follow up

The past 2 times I went to PU up my lady from SH I did OC (not OD..lol) but since I didn't have the extra time to park then meet her at the check point let alone want to pay for parking I just picked her up curbside . I did get a hard stare from a skycap. We have to pick the daughter in law, her hubby and 2 kids in Nov and we probably will meet them at the gate then.