• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MS State Police

unixfg

It's not a very dramatic story, but I'm registering to at least get a feel for the normalcy of the situation.

I typically open carry (Blackhawk Serpa) when I'm on a road trip. It's more comfortable and easier to reach in the car. I wear an IWB holster all other times. I also thought I was pretty well versed in the laws of all the states surrounding Memphis, but all I knew about MS was that 1) it's constitutional open carry and 2) they honor my TN permit for concealed carry. I didn't know anything about the whole "partial concealment" retardation.

On my way back from Louisiana we stopped at the Chevron off I-55 and Highway 84. I had just come out with some delicious coffee and two state troopers had pulled up to pumps near my car.

Sitting in the car, engine running, about to leave, one of the troopers walks up to my window and just kinda stands there about 5 feet away. I had hoped if I just ignored him he'd go away, but that never seems to work ;) I rolled my window down about half way (at $3.999/gal, I'm not gonna air condition him any more than I need to) and gave him what was probably a "why are you standing there?" look and here's, to the best of my recollection, the 'conversation':

Officer Derp: I saw you have a gun on you.
Me: Yes.
Officer Derp: Are you a police officer or something?
Me: No.
Officer Derp: Well, how are you carrying it?
Me: What?
Officer Derp: How are you carrying it? Like, do you have a permit?
Me: I have a Tennessee carry permit.
Officer Derp: Oh, I didn't realize you were from out of state. Well, you're open carrying, and in Mississippi we have concealed carry, concealed as in 'concealed'
Me: Oh, ok.

At that point I don't remember any more specifics, and I'm not 100% sure whether the condescension came before or after he realized I wasn't a Mississippian, but basically he got back in his car and I continued on my way. I was a little irked that he was harassing people with his ignorance but mostly happy I wasn't in Louisiana anymore.

georg jetson

It's not a very dramatic story, but I'm registering to at least get a feel for the normalcy of the situation.

I typically open carry (Blackhawk Serpa) when I'm on a road trip. It's more comfortable and easier to reach in the car. I wear an IWB holster all other times. I also thought I was pretty well versed in the laws of all the states surrounding Memphis, but all I knew about MS was that 1) it's constitutional open carry and 2) they honor my TN permit for concealed carry. I didn't know anything about the whole "partial concealment" retardation.

On my way back from Louisiana we stopped at the Chevron off I-55 and Highway 84. I had just come out with some delicious coffee and two state troopers had pulled up to pumps near my car.

Sitting in the car, engine running, about to leave, one of the troopers walks up to my window and just kinda stands there about 5 feet away. I had hoped if I just ignored him he'd go away, but that never seems to work ;) I rolled my window down about half way (at $3.999/gal, I'm not gonna air condition him any more than I need to) and gave him what was probably a "why are you standing there?" look and here's, to the best of my recollection, the 'conversation':

Officer Derp: I saw you have a gun on you.
Me: Yes.
Officer Derp: Are you a police officer or something?
Me: No.
Officer Derp: Well, how are you carrying it?
Me: What?
Officer Derp: How are you carrying it? Like, do you have a permit?
Me: I have a Tennessee carry permit.
Officer Derp: Oh, I didn't realize you were from out of state. Well, you're open carrying, and in Mississippi we have concealed carry, concealed as in 'concealed'
Me: Oh, ok.

At that point I don't remember any more specifics, and I'm not 100% sure whether the condescension came before or after he realized I wasn't a Mississippian, but basically he got back in his car and I continued on my way. I was a little irked that he was harassing people with his ignorance but mostly happy I wasn't in Louisiana anymore.

Hey!! What's wrong with Louisiana???

bigun220

Sounds like a decent LEO encounter to me. At least the officer didn't attempt to arrest you for disturbing the peace. By the way, the officer was wrong about "concealed" carry. We do have partial concealment too.