Thread: open carry in a bank

open carry in a bank

I was wondering if someone could help me out and give me info on whether I can open carry in a bank ( Commerce Bank, Moberly,MO). I know the laws and city ordinances, but the both seem to be contradicting each other. Bank says no, its a state law. But banks aren't federally owned, to me that says that I can legally carry in a bank. But I would like some input before I go ahead and do it, for reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by rishov11 View Post
    I was wondering if someone could help me out and give me info on whether I can open carry in a bank ( Commerce Bank, Moberly,MO). I know the laws and city ordinances, but the both seem to be contradicting each other. Bank says no, its a state law. But banks aren't federally owned, to me that says that I can legally carry in a bank. But I would like some input before I go ahead and do it, for reassurance.
    Banks are private property. They can restrict carry as they wish, just like any other business.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Banks are private property. They can restrict carry as they wish, just like any other business.
    Correct. There is no state law that makes it a criminal offense to openly carry in a bank, nor is there any that makes it a criminal offense for a CCW endorsement holder to carry a concealed firearm in the bank. Any local ordinance that restricts open carry will HAVE to be observed. Above and beyond that, the only consideration is the policy of the bank itself (the Commerce bank branches in the STL area used to all be posted - not sure if they still are).

Quote Originally Posted by rishov11 View Post
    Yep, check out this story of a bank in Texas that got robbed 4 times. They sent a new manager who change the gun policy and they have not been robbed since. They have also increase the amount of customers.

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2575375/posts

www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/101201774.html

I have open carried many times going into my bank in Lees Summit, Bank of the West. I usually use the drive thru, but when I go in, I have open carried, with no problems or questions, but I have done business there for years and the tellers all know me.........which could make a difference....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Accomplished Advocate

I think you need to find another bank sir!

Commerce Bank has NO RESPECT WHAT SO EVER for your rights and contributed SIGNIFICANTLY to fight you on CCW in the state of Missouri.

Commerce Bank of Kansas City
    PO Box 13686
    Kansas City, MO 64199

$10,000

Commerce Bank of St. Louis
    8000 Forsyth Blvd.
    St. Louis, MO 63105

$10,000

Drop em like a **** and tell em WHY!
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

I have had Commerce for years. Every branch I have used has an anti sign. i will be dropping them as soon as I get my direct deposit moved and I will tell them why.

The surprising thing is that Bank of America, at least on 350 Hwy in Raytown, is ok with OC. I carry there every time I go and the people there are great. If you go there, tell them why.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

I dropped Commerce Bank along time ago when I seen the sign put up. I drove right across the street to Bank of America and have been there every since. I'm talking about the one on 24 Hiway in Independence.