• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in a bank

rishov11

I was wondering if someone could help me out and give me info on whether I can open carry in a bank ( Commerce Bank, Moberly,MO). I know the laws and city ordinances, but the both seem to be contradicting each other. Bank says no, its a state law. But banks aren't federally owned, to me that says that I can legally carry in a bank. But I would like some input before I go ahead and do it, for reassurance.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I was wondering if someone could help me out and give me info on whether I can open carry in a bank ( Commerce Bank, Moberly,MO). I know the laws and city ordinances, but the both seem to be contradicting each other. Bank says no, its a state law. But banks aren't federally owned, to me that says that I can legally carry in a bank. But I would like some input before I go ahead and do it, for reassurance.

Banks are private property. They can restrict carry as they wish, just like any other business.

cshoff

Banks are private property. They can restrict carry as they wish, just like any other business.

Correct. There is no state law that makes it a criminal offense to openly carry in a bank, nor is there any that makes it a criminal offense for a CCW endorsement holder to carry a concealed firearm in the bank. Any local ordinance that restricts open carry will HAVE to be observed. Above and beyond that, the only consideration is the policy of the bank itself (the Commerce bank branches in the STL area used to all be posted - not sure if they still are).

DocWalker

Yep, check out this story of a bank in Texas that got robbed 4 times. They sent a new manager who change the gun policy and they have not been robbed since. They have also increase the amount of customers.

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2575375/posts

www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/101201774.html

Richieg150

I have open carried many times going into my bank in Lees Summit, Bank of the West. I usually use the drive thru, but when I go in, I have open carried, with no problems or questions, but I have done business there for years and the tellers all know me.........which could make a difference....

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I think you need to find another bank sir!

Commerce Bank has NO RESPECT WHAT SO EVER for your rights and contributed SIGNIFICANTLY to fight you on CCW in the state of Missouri.

Commerce Bank of Kansas City
PO Box 13686
Kansas City, MO 64199

$10,000

Commerce Bank of St. Louis
8000 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105

$10,000

Drop em like a turd and tell em WHY!

peterarthur

I have had Commerce for years. Every branch I have used has an anti sign. i will be dropping them as soon as I get my direct deposit moved and I will tell them why.

The surprising thing is that Bank of America, at least on 350 Hwy in Raytown, is ok with OC. I carry there every time I go and the people there are great. If you go there, tell them why.

Jim40Cal

I dropped Commerce Bank along time ago when I seen the sign put up. I drove right across the street to Bank of America and have been there every since. I'm talking about the one on 24 Hiway in Independence.