• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheyenne Mall Posted No Guns

AB

You are dead wrong about this having anything to do with any new gun law. Trespassing has been against the law for a long time. The new concealed carry without a permit did not change anything about trespassing. You have made a wild and incorrect accusation!!

Spot on -- Sadly some individuals would rather continue to stir the pot with their "wild and incorrect accusations" as if they were the gun-grabbing politicians themselves..

Last edited:

MatieA

The Cheyenne Mall has been posted "No Firearms" forever but it was in small print on an obscure sign, and noone ever enforced it. After the way the media presented the new bill, the mall posted no firearms in HUGE signs at the entrances. I know from personal experience that they are really enforcing it as well. The security guard was very polite, but insisted that I had to take my sidearm outside the building. My money and I have gone shopping elsewhere, which is too bad because I liked the personnel at the mall's Boot Barn. I also took the time to write corporate HQ for the mall, and most of the stores that I could remember being inside. I received zero responses, but that is kind of what I figured I would get.

Cetera

To be clear, state statute prohibits CONCEALED carry into governmental meetings. There is no such prohibition on open carry.

Correct. A local, current county judge here in Laramie visits concealed carry and handgun training courses upon request to discuss legal ramifications of carrying firearms. According to him, you cannot concealed carry to a meeting with any government official in the state, and that includes your local librarian. If you invite your librarian to a meeting on private property, you cannot concealed carry at that meeting.

However, open carry is completely unrestricted, everywhere, on public and private land, in Wyoming. Open carry cannot be denied in any public facility. The local hospital posts "No Weapons" signs with images of guns and knives with the red circle/line around/through them. According to the judge, that is PR only. You can openly or concealed carry (with permit) on the hospital property without interference, and because it is a county hospital and therefore public property, you cannot be asked to leave for doing so. You can openly carry into any local or state facility, onto any college campus, into any school, etc. The only restrictions in Wyoming for carrying apply to concealed carry only.

The judge also told us that "no guns" signs on private property also have no force of law behind them, mean nothing, and can be completely ignored. However, if you are asked to leave private property, then you must do so, immediately, no questions asked. Failure to comply with a request to vacate the premises can then result in trespassing issues, which you do not want.

MatieA

Correct. A local, current county judge here in Laramie visits concealed carry and handgun training courses upon request to discuss legal ramifications of carrying firearms. According to him, you cannot concealed carry to a meeting with any government official in the state, and that includes your local librarian. If you invite your librarian to a meeting on private property, you cannot concealed carry at that meeting.

However, open carry is completely unrestricted, everywhere, on public and private land, in Wyoming. Open carry cannot be denied in any public facility. The local hospital posts "No Weapons" signs with images of guns and knives with the red circle/line around/through them. According to the judge, that is PR only. You can openly or concealed carry (with permit) on the hospital property without interference, and because it is a county hospital and therefore public property, you cannot be asked to leave for doing so. You can openly carry into any local or state facility, onto any college campus, into any school, etc. The only restrictions in Wyoming for carrying apply to concealed carry only.

The judge also told us that "no guns" signs on private property also have no force of law behind them, mean nothing, and can be completely ignored. However, if you are asked to leave private property, then you must do so, immediately, no questions asked. Failure to comply with a request to vacate the premises can then result in trespassing issues, which you do not want.

The only problem that I see with what you are putting here is that while Laramie's local hospital may still be "public-owned" the one in Cheyenne is not. It is owned by a private Corporation that Unfortunately can ban guns on the premises. And since when is a public librarian a government official? That would make the library a government building which it is not.

Mjolnir

The only problem that I see with what you are putting here is that while Laramie's local hospital may still be "public-owned" the one in Cheyenne is not. It is owned by a private Corporation that Unfortunately can ban guns on the premises. And since when is a public librarian a government official? That would make the library a government building which it is not.

Actually you are wrong, if you dig deep enough into CRMC you will find out what they don't want you to know...it's a public/county hospital.....

ANd I'd like to know that judge's name & how to contact him cuz some of what he is quoted as saying goes against state law from what I've been told by a district attorney....