• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on school grounds

Gohogs1

I know you can carry in your car on school grounds but with a Miss frearms permit can you carry on your person outside your vehicle if the school is private and not public?

bigun220

According to 97-37-17, you can carry a firearm in your vehicle, with or w/o permit, provided that you: Are not a student, keep the firearm within the vehicle, and don't brandish the firearm.
There is a very good discussion about HB 506 and its effect on school carry on the MSGunowners Forum. You'll need to register to be a member and view the forum. www.msgunowners.com

Gohogs1

I guess what I'm asking public schools are on state or county property and private schools are on private property, does the original statute of no carry on school grounds still apply to private schools on private property?

bigun220

I guess what I'm asking public schools are on state or county property and private schools are on private property, does the original statute of no carry on school grounds still apply to private schools on private property?
97-37-17 defines educational property as "any public or private school building or bus, public or private school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used or operated by any local school board, school, college or university board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution or during a school-related activity, and shall include the facilities and property of the Oakley and Columbia juvenile training schools operated by the Department of Human Services; provided, however, that the term "educational property" shall not include any sixteenth section school land or lieu land on which is not located a school building, school campus, recreational area or athletic field."
This statute does not apply to "Home Schools as defined in the compulsory school attendance law, Section 37-13-91."
It is my opinion that 97-37-17 does apply to private schools on private property, but not home schools. I am not a lawyer. Hope this helps.

Daylen

since the MS permit does not expressly allow carry in a school zone, it does not qualify under the GFSZ act.

MKEgal

Daylen said:
since the MS permit does not expressly allow carry in a school zone, it does not qualify under the GFSZ act.
At first I thought you were serious about this, then I glanced at your SIG.
Nowhere on any of my permits does it say I'm allowed to carry in a school zone.
Despite that lack, I know that in at least one of those states I would be allowed to walk INTO a school, armed, while children were present, & there would be no legal hassle.
And under the federal law, with a permit I can be anywhere up to the edge of the 'grounds' of the school.

The federal "GF"SZ act merely requires that a person be licensed by the state in which the school is located.
About halfway down the page: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html
(q)(2)(b)(ii)
if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located... and the law of the State... requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State... verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license

And it sounds like under the new law that just went into effect, carry will be allowed in a whole lot more places, including in schools. Good for you guys!
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf

Last edited:

bigun220

At first I thought you were serious about this, then I glanced at your SIG.
Nowhere on any of my permits does it say I'm allowed to carry in a school zone.
Despite that lack, I know that in at least one of those states I would be allowed to walk INTO a school, armed, while children were present, & there would be no legal hassle.
And under the federal law, with a permit I can be anywhere up to the edge of the 'grounds' of the school.

The federal "GF"SZ act merely requires that a person be licensed by the state in which the school is located.
About halfway down the page: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

And it sounds like under the new law that just went into effect, carry will be allowed in a whole lot more places, including in schools. Good for you guys!
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf
The campus carry issue is still in the works. The AG's office believes it is legal under the new law, but the AG has not yet issued an opinion. MS is well known for its vague and muddy laws. http://nems360.com/view/full_story/14893742/article-AG--Guns-now-legal-on-college-campuses?