• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I open carry?

SE7EN

Hello members of OpenCarry.org,

I am an avid member of the NRA and also have multiple memberships to gun ranges around Ohio. I'm wondering if I can open carry? What are the restrictions here and what type of holster is required?

The gun I'd be open carrying would be a Ruger SR9C.

23 years old

Never been to jail, had a few minor speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents.

No mental illness :) Completely sane.

College student and IT worker.

Always pay my taxes :)

So am I able to open carry in the state of Ohio?:question:

SE7EN

Thank Ya Sir

Thank You very much Sir. I will advise after I have checked out the link you've provided!

SE7EN

Start your quest here and follow the links.
http://www.opencarry.org/oh.html

Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

So basically I can open carry around my home, but as soon as I step foot into a vehicle I break the law.. Gotcha, so to rectify this I would need to pursue the concealed carry? Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I know they have probably been answered before but I want to make sure I do this the right way.

Thanks

Brian D.

In Ohio, because of the vehicle carry restriction you mention, many OC advocates (perhaps grudgingly) go ahead and get their concealed carry license.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
As you have already determined, open carry is legal, but you may find yourself to be the recipient of threatened (or actual) charges of disorderly conduct or inducing panic, or lengthy "investigative stops". On the other hand, you may simply find that people are inquisitive about your carrying.

Be prepared to fully handle either eventuality.