• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling from va to pa

Starrman

I,ll be visiting north of the burgh this weekend. My only question is: being from out of state can i oc in pa. or is residency required.

mrjam2jab

Residency is not required for OC in PA. However, keep in mind there is no OC in a vehicle in PA. As long as you have a permit to carry from any state you will be ok while driving around.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Residency is not required for OC in PA. However, keep in mind there is no OC in a vehicle in PA. As long as you have a permit to carry from any state you will be ok while driving around.

Cite(s), please. Forum Rule #5:
(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I,ll be visiting north of the burgh this weekend. My only question is: being from out of state can i oc in pa. or is residency required.

Mind the federal Safe Passage law requirements while traveling through Maryland. We have a very few reports that Maryland state police look for reasons to pull over VA license plates for an easy gun bust.

mrjam2jab

Open carry is not mention in statute so there is no cite on that one.

For the vehicle carry:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

{snip}

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Starrman

Thanks for the response. I do have a permit and recognize marylands gun issues. once again thanks

USNA69

Recording Conversations - PA Law

I am a Virginia resident; I will be visiting PA this weekend.
I have reviewed PA gun laws regarding OC and CC and know that PA is very gun-friendly and recognizes my VA Concealed Handgun Permit.
As a rule, when carrying at any time in VA, I also carry a digital voice recorder (DVR) and have it actively recording. In VA, a conversation may be legally recorded, if at least one party to the conversation is aware of the recording. That is always me.
The DVR is insurance against selective amnesia by witnesses (or LEOs) after an encounter.

What are the laws regarding the recording of conversations in PA?

Thanks in advance ...​

Starrman

Did my weekend in pittsburgh and open carried with no issue. I went to the strip and was walking up a side street from where I parked the truck, a cop was sitting there as I walked by, looked and drove off. No issue not sure about recording but if they are like this guy you won't need one.