• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting ready to open carry for the first time...any tips?

NCtrueconservative

Hey guys, long time looker, and first time poster. Im 18 and a half and am getting ready to be open carrying in public for the first time. Believe me, I HAVE research this very well, informed myself with all the laws and where and when I can and cant carry. I've been around guns all my life and have hunted since I was 6. I know about gun safety, and have 2 handguns of my own, a 45 semi auto and a 44 magnum for deer hunting and the occasional Dirty Harry reference ;) Do you guys have any tips about open carrying for the first time? I will probably be going in Walmart in the near future. also, can you tell me how your first open carry went? I'm up here in Watauga County which is full of and surrounded by good ole boys who love guns and respect them, but also has the liberal palace known s Appalachian State nearby. Thanks

M

mattwestm

I'm getting ready to go to Ashe county this weekend. I love that part of the state!

Anyways... when I first started open carrying, I was really nervous unless I was with someone else or a group of people. It doesn't even phase me anymore. Once you realize that no one really cares, all is good. Just make sure you stay polite and know the law. I'd suggest a WalMart run as your first OC trip.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here are some general tips. Be confident about yourself. If you look uncomfortable, people are going to notice. Know the laws, know the laws, know the laws,if you are the slightest bit unsure carry them with you. If the police stop you and you are in the right, stand your ground. Carry a recorder with you if legal, make sure it is on whenever you carry. Be ready to answer people's question if you want. The big three will be "is it real", "is it loaded", and "is it legal." Carry an extra magazine just in case. I think you will find most people will not notice that you are carrying. If they do notice they will mostly be okay or neutral about it. In four years of OCing I have only had one random person tell me I shouldn't carry. I wish you the best of luck.

papa bear

welcome NCTC, let us know how it is over in Boone. i have been there a few times but never had anybody notice. since i was only dealing with places i knew. i know Boone is very liberal, but also the university has a big influence. i have carried a lot in the Wilkesboros. never had an issue. Duncans is a good gun store

hope to meet you at a get together

Last edited:

chiefjason

Relax.

Act like you belong there.

Know the law, know the law, know the law!!!!!

My only issue in several years was a Walmart Mgr. That got taken care of though. Good luck.

If it helps I did not get kicked out of the McDonalds in Jefferson. Spent about an hour in there OC'ing and had my girls with me. One of them got car sick on the way up.

NCtrueconservative

Yes the Jeffersons and most of Ashe county are VERY gun friendly. Wilkes County kills more deer than any other mountain/foothills county and they don't mind guns at all. Watauga is just like Ashe for the most part, believe me it actually has a majority of conservative people. The problem is the campus area in Boone. But not to worry. I need to go in to Walmart to buy some arrows for bow season anyway. Will be carrying! Thanks for all the tips.