• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

detroit carjacker shot,crashes car and dies.

Phxbluesman

Don't shoot for property

Shooting as the BG is leaving and no longer presenting an immediate threat seems like a tactic to avoid. IMNAL Each state has its own interpretation n of laws regarding the use of deadly force to stop a fleeing felon but I believe MI allows its use. . Although he may be off the hook criminally he may be on the hook for a civil suit . Either way the cost of a lawyer plus the time spent in custody and dealing with the aftermath especially if the BG dies is not worth it!

My motto is don't shoot for property

Aknazer

There's plenty of situations to shoot a fleeing suspect. Would need more info on if the suspect was still somehow a threat and just how was he a threat.

okboomer

Very thin on details about the carjacking and the criminal history of the actors ... could have been a drug deal gone bad ... too many unknown details.

What was funny was reading the comments ... evidently one of the relatives of the dead carjacker was posting for a while :lol:

Superlite27

Stephens said the man was taken into police custody. Detroit Police will submit an investigative report of the incident to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, which would determine if charges will be filed against the man.

So the CCW holder was taken into custody....and they're going to determine whether charges will be filed.

So.....under what charge was he arrested?

Packer fan

Shooting as the BG is leaving and no longer presenting an immediate threat seems like a tactic to avoid. IMNAL Each state has its own interpretation n of laws regarding the use of deadly force to stop a fleeing felon but I believe MI allows its use. . Although he may be off the hook criminally he may be on the hook for a civil suit . Either way the cost of a lawyer plus the time spent in custody and dealing with the aftermath especially if the BG dies is not worth it!

My motto is don't shoot for property

This is what I believe is wrong with our judicial system. We are more afraid of a prosecutor then a criminal.
This is on the same line of thinking that has gotten so many killed, just cooperate and give them what they want it's not worth it, then the victim is dead.
So, we stand ideally by while someone takes your property, let the cops take care of it. Really, they can't even control the gang problems. Why do gangs do what they do, because we fear going to jail more than they do; why, because it's easier in this PC world for a prosecutor to prosecute the victim than the perpetrator.

We've been brain washed thinking we can reason with bullies; have them over for supper and ask why they are bullying me rather than standing up to them and stopping them. We throw people in jail with the notion of rehabilitating them into society only to give them an education on how to commit more crimes. In the process of stopping a current crime we are also trying to prevent a future crime. I feared for the lives that maybe affected by this individual (it's only an example).

I don't know about you but my property, my hard work to obtain the property , and the possibility of the perps harming someone else for his/her property is well worth trying to stop a theft. We've become a nation of "Paper Tigers".

This is only MHO, I'm not advocating vigilanteism. I don't know the whole story and there is an on going investigation so I can't play arm chair quarterback.

I understand that each situation is different but I would feel bad knowing that someone took my property and committed yet another crime with it knowing I could have stopped it.

This is not to be taken as a personal attack against anyone.

Last edited:

hermannr

This is the reason you need to really know your state law, different states have different answers for if what was done was legal or not.

What they don't tell us if there was someone else in the vehicle? (a wife/child/friend) if there was some very important physical material in the vehicle that could warrent such action in view of public safety? (say a cased full auto in the trunk?) They are not saying, so we wait.

I would hope that he will not be charged with anything. In my state, he would be ok...but MI? I don't know if you can use deadly force to protect property in MI or not?

craigm

I could have sworn there was some law about necessary force during the commission of a felony... Anyone? Maybe that was citizen's arrest.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

ColeMD17

In Idaho, homicide is justifiable when "committed by any person... when resisting any attempt to murder any person, or to commit a felony, or to do some great bodily injury upon any person... [or] committed in defense of habitation, property, or person, against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony, or against one who manifestly intends and endeavors, in a violent, riotous or tumultuous manner to enter the habitation of another for the purpose of offering violence to any person therein..."

underlined: Our right to self-defense, note that there is no duty to retreat.
Italicised Our defense of property and defense of others law
bolded Our Castle Doctrine

We should really change the state motto to "Don't try anything funny!" and the state nickname to the "Don't **** with me" state. It's a terrible place to be a violent criminal-as evidenced by our relatively low crime rates :lol:

We-the-People

So why the comment (by reporter) "if his story checks out" vice the proper "police question and released the victim".

And why the snippet of the dufus looking dude talking about protecting property versus self being cut in the way it was.

The major thing I noticed however was that this citizens firearm was not in it's holster. I'm sure the government confiscated his property "as evidence". Good justification to the spouse for a second carry weapon!

VW_Factor

We throw people in jail with the notion of rehabilitating them into society only to give them an education on how to commit more crimes.

I really don't think our society tossed criminals in jail with the notion of rehabilitating them. They do it to take their freedom away for committing crimes. It is supposed to be a deterrent, not a treatment.

We-the-People

I really don't think our society tossed criminals in jail with the notion of rehabilitating them. They do it to take their freedom away for committing crimes. It is supposed to be a deterrent, not a treatment.

Oh you should see the crap we're working with in this weeks "social problems" class. Angela Davis, 1970's terrorist (or at least criminal) provided firearms to a 17 y/o who then went into a courthouse and armed Davis's boyfriend and two other defendants, kidnapped the judge, prosecutor, and a juror....then got all of them killed in a shootout with police. Davis was indicted and ran, making the FBI 10 most wanted list, spent over a year in jail/prison, WALKED due to "public outcry". Member (high up) in the Communist Party USA and now a break away group of that organization, Marxist activist, radical feminist activist, member of the Black Panther party....

She is now a "distinguised scholar" (cough choke gag) advocating for "the abolition of prisons" because they are "institutions of slavery" and that we should be educating rather than imprisoning these people. Because so many blacks are criminals (and therefore in prison) she also states that our prison system is racist and an institutional method of destroying the blacks.

According to these academics, we need to help these poor victims of society instead of caging them like animals and that taking away their freedom is just slavery under an unjust criminal justice system.

ARRRGH

VW_Factor

Oh you should see the crap we're working with in this weeks "social problems" class. Angela Davis, 1970's terrorist (or at least criminal) provided firearms to a 17 y/o who then went into a courthouse and armed Davis's boyfriend and two other defendants, kidnapped the judge, prosecutor, and a juror....then got all of them killed in a shootout with police. Davis was indicted and ran, making the FBI 10 most wanted list, spent over a year in jail/prison, WALKED due to "public outcry". Member (high up) in the Communist Party USA and now a break away group of that organization, Marxist activist, radical feminist activist, member of the Black Panther party....

She is now a "distinguised scholar" (cough choke gag) advocating for "the abolition of prisons" because they are "institutions of slavery" and that we should be educating rather than imprisoning these people. Because so many blacks are criminals (and therefore in prison) she also states that our prison system is racist and an institutional method of destroying the blacks.

According to these academics, we need to help these poor victims of society instead of caging them like animals and that taking away their freedom is just slavery under an unjust criminal justice system.

ARRRGH

Its not our fault that certain people don't understand the consequences of losing ones freedom. /facepalm

We-the-People

Its not our fault that certain people don't understand the consequences of losing ones freedom. /facepalm

I neglected the OC connection in my previous post. It is connected to OC because, if radical activists like Davis get their way, the need to open carry (or at least CC) will vastly escalate.