• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Washington county

chadman

hello,

i just have a question on OC in oregon

so i am 17 now but i am planning ahead to open carry in my county that i live in. but i am really confused on it. so can i open carry a pistol at the age of 18. and is there anyway i can oc in stores and other Public places.

chadman

okay thank you i am reading up on stories and such. so from what i am seeing i can carry in stores and such. But i can not technically if there is a sign saying no
firearms allowed or go in empty holster?

chadman

okay thank you for the helpful info i will also contact the county sheriffs office and see what they say to about oc in the county i know about all about the
Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence OC but i barely ever go to thoose towns the farthest i go is hillsboro but i stay in hillsboro,cornelius and forest grove.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
Because Oregon allows counties and cities to restrict/regulate loaded firearms in public, you need to look at the city ordinances where you will be open carrying. If there are none, then you should be good to go. But because you don't have a permit, be mindful of the 1000 foot rule when it comes to schools. And as always, if someone asks you to leave their private property, do so, or you may be trespassed.

chadman

yes this is true and does the 1000 foot rule count even if driving by for say going home? and forest grove and Cornelius have no city ordinances against OC

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
does the 1000 foot rule count even if driving by for say going home?

It does. It applies always unless you have a CHL or are on private property. Luckily, it is a federal law that was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court once, but the Congress, in all their infinite lack of wisdom, passed the same law again but telling the court that they did indeed have the authority to regulate firearms near schools (it's under the interstate commerce clause obviously supreme court justices! I mean, how did you guys miss that one? Never mind the fact that you guys specifically addressed how it exceeded the bounds of the interstate commerce clause). Basically unless you're selling drugs while carrying a gun within 1000' from a school, you most likely won't be bothered.

bigtoe416

well thats great then lol.... have to unload it once i hit the school boundary and then load again after it.

Actually, if you intend to comply with the federal law regarding school zones, you must lock up the firearm before you enter the school zone.

18 USC 922(q)(1) Federal Gun-Free School Zones

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm--

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is--

(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

We-the-People

The first thing you need to do is what TeddeBearFromHell said and go READ. Someone else provided the links.

I would suggest you START with Oregon Revised Statutes 166.170 through at least 166.390. These are the the state laws that you need to know the most about and deal specifically with firearms. They will tell you WHO, WHERE, HOW, and everything else about carrying lawfully within the state. Without an understanding of those basic laws, you won't be ready to lawfully carry and stay out of legal trouble.

rlacsamana1989

well thats great then lol.... have to unload it once i hit the school boundary and then load again after it.

Correct me if I am wrong, As I do not live where you are, but it is unlawful for someone without a consealed pistol license to carry a gun loaded in any vechicle?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Teddybearfrmhell

It would be illegal within 1000 ft. of a GFSZ w/o a permit issued by the state in which the school is located.

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

i wasnt making any assumptions about how near he was to a school....

just that here in oregon a loaded, unconcealed pistol in a car is not illegal....

your milage may vary if you are in one of the few cities that have statutes prohibiting, but in oregon state law, in general, for non felons its leagal without a permit.

i hope i covered all contingencies

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
there are
i wasnt making any assumptions about how near he was to a school....

just that here in oregon a loaded, unconcealed pistol in a car is not illegal....

your milage may vary if you are in one of the few cities that have statutes prohibiting, but in oregon state law, in general, for non felons its leagal without a permit.

i hope i covered all contingencies

I wasn't making assumptions either - just forewarning him and any other readers that there are other laws and applications which will need to be considered.

A simple yes or no answer will not suffice and could put the reader(s) in bad legal position.

bigtoe416

It's hard to cover ALL the contingencies. You can't have a loaded firearm while driving through Salem, Newport, Portland, and several other cities without a CHL. You can't drive into a publicly owned building without a CHL (like a publicly owned parking structure perhaps?). There are probably other weird things that you could get busted for as well.

Teddybearfrmhell

It's hard to cover ALL the contingencies. You can't have a loaded firearm while driving through Salem, Newport, Portland, and several other cities without a CHL. You can't drive into a publicly owned building without a CHL (like a publicly owned parking structure perhaps?). There are probably other weird things that you could get busted for as well.

true, if you try to cover them all, where does it stop?