• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I alone on this?

Marc

Just wondering if anyone else has the same experiences. Have you ever went thru the junk drawer or dug thru boxes of junk you packed long ago and found stray bullets of a caliber that you cant even remember owning the gun that accepts them? I have found several over the years, and never owned guns of that caliber. Anyone else have that experience?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Does finding a box of ammo in a caliber you have nothing to fit it into count? 'Cause I've got two boxes on my shelf right now that fit that category.

I "think" I bought them because somebody I know was looking for the caliber and said they could not find any, or could not find any at a reasonable price. Now if I could just remember who it was, so I could show them they were wrong.*

stay safe.

*It is not OK to contact this poster with inquiries about what caliber or how much he might want to sell them for.

jeeper1

Sure. In fact I gave a partial box (24rds) of 32acp and one round of 32s&w long in it to an acquaintance recently. I know I have a box of 38s&w somewhere around here I've never had a gun for either.

hermannr

Yes, I have a couple rounds of 25-20 I have no idea where they came from, and some 38-44. Don't even know if they black powder of smokeless. Don't remember either myself, or my dad owning anything in those calibers. There are a few others too..all "oddballs"

SovereignAxe

Yes. When I got my first gun, a Ruger Blackhawk .357, I was 18 and didn't know much about different calibers at the time. I asked someone to get me some .38s before we went to the range, as the state of TN does not allow one to buy handgun ammo if under the age of 21 (but you can buy .22LR, .30 Carbine, both of which I've fired in a pistol-go figure).

Well, unfortunately he didn't know much about different calibers either, and ended up getting me a box of .38 S&W. Oops-a $21.95 mistake (the price is written on the box).

I'm currently 26 and still have that box lol. NOBODY I know has a .38 S&W revolver.

Ruby

To Soverign Axe

I have an S & W .38 snubby, stainless steel revolver. I just bought it last year. It's their model 60, which was S & W's first revolver. I like that little gun and planned to use it as a BAG. My carry gun is a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander and I love that gun.

Many, many years ago I lived in Johnson City Tennessee. Also in Greenville, S.C. I was not into guns at the time. Very pretty part of the country.

Marc

ok well its good to know that im not alone and i also do not have enuff of one caliber to buy the gun to fit it, and as these rounds are old and of unknown origin i sure aint got the desire to fire them lol. I like my hand intact.

We-the-People

ok well its good to know that im not alone and i also do not have enuff of one caliber to buy the gun to fit it, and as these rounds are old and of unknown origin i sure aint got the desire to fire them lol. I like my hand intact.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. When my father passed I brought home a bunch of 38 special, including some 38 S&W special. A large quantity of the rounds were semi wadcutters reloaded for when my father shot on the California Highway Patrol pistol team (he had a TON of "Master" trophies). That was back when I was 8 or 9, 10 at the oldest when he stopped competitive shooting (because there was no competition in it for him) and I just had my 50th.

Every one of them that's been fired functioned just fine, even the couple of boxes of factory ammo he had.

SovereignAxe

ROFL I just thought of something.

If there ever was a thread full of first world problems, this is it

Ruby: yes it is. I will have a hard time ever moving from this part of the country

JoeSparky

Centurion
My variation on this was NOT finding stray rounds of a size I don't own; but, Finding IN the bottom of my ammo locker a full sealed 1000 round case of .40 S&W fmj.... and I didn't even own a .40 cal!

My solution, I went out an bought a .40 cal!!!!!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have found a few rounds of various ammunition over the years. My theory is they got into my bag at the range somehow. I am always picking out casings of all different sizes from my bag. Who knows?