• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sign at Salvation Army

papa bear

A while back i posted about the Salvation army posting their extra properties against carry ( the social service side). i told them what was wrong in this and that i could not support the organization for this policy
tonight i received this E-mail

We have placed a new posting on the social service entry, see Attached:

Michael Rodgers, Major.
Corps Officer
651 S. South Street
Mount Airy, NC

crimefree031.jpg

maybe not the best, but i feel it's better than what they had. what do y'all think

willigun

I am shocked, and in utter disbelief that some one believes in the 2nd amendment of the constitution. "sarcasm off"

way to go!!:monkey:monkey:banana::monkey:monkey

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That's great that you were able to get them to change the sign so that law abiding citizens can now carry. The sign is kind of silly because it would just apply to criminals who don't obey signs anyway...lol. On another note, I don't see a problem copying the sign or making a version of your own.

okboomer

That's great that you were able to get them to change the sign so that law abiding citizens can now carry. The sign is kind of silly because it would just apply to criminals who don't obey signs anyway...lol. On another note, I don't see a problem copying the sign or making a version of your own.

Actually, folks ought to seek SAs permission to use the sign, it is their intellectual property as is ... but, it would also show them recognition of their responsiveness to the 2A community.

When my grandfather was in Europe during WWII, he said the Red Cross Canteen would close up at 5pm and be gone when the majority of line troops got to town, but the SA was open and serving many of the troops their first hot meal in weeks or longer, and they always had clothes and boots for the troops to reoutfit themselves, whereas the Red Cross was often out of clothing, or would refuse to let a soldier have something that didn't fit right even if it was workable (boots a size too large could work with 2 pair of socks, an overcoat too large was still a warm overcoat.)

eye95

The Salvation Army is my charity of choice. I regularly make contributions in cash in person at the local office. I OC every time. They have never said a single word.

I think the sign is quite good. It communicates that idea that carry is welcome, but breaking the law is not--which, to me, is a near-perfect message.

jbone

Wouldn't be surprised the gun pictured wasn't belonging to the sign creator, or the person who approved the policy change.

papa bear

The Salvation Army is my charity of choice. I regularly make contributions in cash in person at the local office. I OC every time. They have never said a single word.

I think the sign is quite good. It communicates that idea that carry is welcome, but breaking the law is not--which, to me, is a near-perfect message.
original sign;
DSCN0113.jpg

i actually open carried whenever i went into the store, and when i went into the offices (which is also our fellowship hall)
NC does not legally allow carry if there is a sign prohibiting carry on the premise. you can be charge with a misdemeanor. ( and possibly endanger your CCP if you have one) there is a bit of argument about churches with schools
i know the sign is pointless . that BG aren't going to pay attention to a sign any way. i was hopping this would not prohibit legitimate carriers

Kirbinator

One time I was outside of a Salvation Army store in Birmingham, AL -- not the best neighborhood -- and heard a loud "pop" that I attributed to the presence of a police car speeding up the road with lights and siren going a few minutes earlier. I immediately reached into the car, grabbed the gun, and put it on my hip and went into high-alert. It may have been something disintegrating on the interstate, but I was ready if it wasn't.

The sign, as drawn, doesn't stop anyone.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Feel free to use and adjust as needed......

progunsign2.jpg

lawfulcarry-1.jpg

I was thrilled to see the correct use of the apostrophe in "patrons' ...", but it only brought me near neutrality since there should be no apostrophe in "its".

[/#grammarnazi]

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I was thrilled to see the correct use of the apostrophe in "patrons' ...", but it only brought me near neutrality since there should be no apostrophe in "its".

[/#grammarnazi]

Since we're being grammar nazis, the word premises is incorrectly spelled in the second one. M1, good sign overall, thanks for sharing them for everyone to use.

SFCRetired

Actually, folks ought to seek SAs permission to use the sign, it is their intellectual property as is ... but, it would also show them recognition of their responsiveness to the 2A community.

When my grandfather was in Europe during WWII, he said the Red Cross Canteen would close up at 5pm and be gone when the majority of line troops got to town, but the SA was open and serving many of the troops their first hot meal in weeks or longer, and they always had clothes and boots for the troops to reoutfit themselves, whereas the Red Cross was often out of clothing, or would refuse to let a soldier have something that didn't fit right even if it was workable (boots a size too large could work with 2 pair of socks, an overcoat too large was still a warm overcoat.)

I'll take it a little farther back than that. A gentleman of my acquaintance (now gone to answer his last formation) told me that the Salvation Army girls were known to crawl, under fire, to the front lines during WWI to take hot coffee and doughnuts to the troops in the trenches. During the years that I knew him, I never saw him fail to put something in the kettles during Christmas. He never had a whole lot, but he gave what he could.

Who was he? My father. He was Commander, at one time, of a local chapter of the Veterans of WWI and his story was backed up by many of his buddies that I talked to. None of them had anything good to say about either the Red Cross or the YMCA.