Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: detroit man shoots carjacker

  1. #1
    Regular Member kryptonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    248

    detroit man shoots carjacker

    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110809-wpms

    saw the story on the news. didn't say OC but showed his empty serpa holster. sounds pretty clear cut self defense to me.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Interesting story.

    I'm torn between thinking he talked too much, and that in talking he said exactly the right things--feared for life, reaching as though for a weapon. I wonder, which is better: no talking, or say only the exact things that cover the elements of justified self-defense?

    Of course, a gun being found on the bad guy helps.

    I think not talking is probably best. Who knows whether the press will repeat your words exactly, or twist them in some way. You can always give the interview after the jury no-bills you.

    Note to self: decline all press interviews until after the prosecutor publicly states it was justified self-defense or the grand jury says no true bill.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Should be telling this to his attorney, nobody else.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047

    Unhappy Hope he doesn't get charged.

    There's another thread on this but yours has the link to video

    This is a lose for the victim. In most counties this guy would not have a worry, however in Wayne Co. he may be charged - [stupid is as stupid does]. Mean time, this guy has lost his ride, his pistol and his security while he waits for word from the authorities on high. Let us remember this is the same prosecutor (Kym Worthy) who said she'd bring charges against anyone other than LEO's that carried more than one pistol? She also worked to strip pastor Terry Jones of his rights [even wing nuts deserve their rights] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_851193.html

    I feel bad that a 19yr. is dead, however if you act like a animal, expect to be put down like one.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

    “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

  5. #5
    Regular Member skyisfalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    birch bay , washington
    Posts
    140

    Don't talk to the press

    Don't talk to the press.
    Reporters are like cops. You don't know, friend or foe, until its too late.

    Same rules apply. Anything you say, can and will be used against you.

    That man said he pulled his weapon and fired before he actually saw a gun.

    When I OC, its my sidearm. Not my firearm and not my weapon.

    I hope he dose not get charged, but I judge him as stupid.

  6. #6
    Regular Member kryptonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    248
    i agree with staying quiet about it. you have nothing to gain by talking to the media about it and everything to lose. the perp got what he deserved. sends a message to other would-be robbers. this i believe is the start of a trend of more citizen involved self defense wave that will make the criminal minds take notice.

  7. #7
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.
    I agree. I wish it was otherwise, but our laws are against this guy. The carjacker got what he deserved, but unfortunately the victim will probably also pay the price.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.
    where did you see that? according to the victim's own words he shot when they perp reached down for what he thought was a gun (and it turned out to be so). the perp then drove away.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  10. #10
    Regular Member pmcqueen37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    246

    Don't talk to the press or the police

    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

  11. #11
    Regular Member Onnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybee, Michigan
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    where did you see that? according to the victim's own words he shot when they perp reached down for what he thought was a gun (and it turned out to be so). the perp then drove away.
    I heard he shot after the car drove away, but that was from a report on WWJ news in the interview he has a different version than what was originally reported by local radio news media

    maybe because of his version is why Mz worthy let him leave LEO custody and that the news medias were reporting it wrong?????
    Last edited by Onnie; 08-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

    Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

  12. #12
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    where did you see that? according to the victim's own words he shot when they perp reached down for what he thought was a gun (and it turned out to be so). the perp then drove away.
    I am also wondering, because according to the story provided, only one shot was fired.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    This i believe is the start of a trend of more citizen involved self defense wave that will make the criminal minds take notice.

    Only if the trial results in him being found not guilty.

    If he's found guilty, that sends a powerful message to would be thugs as well. Make it look like the other guys fault.

    The most powerful enablers of the criminal element in this country is the justice system itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.
    One reason to change the laws here, is because the victims life and now the lives and safety of his family would be in danger if the perp had gotten away with it. Theres likely his name address and keys in the vehicle. Even an address book left in the car puts his friends and contacts at risk of either retaliation, or further crime. The criminals know that the person who has a Cadillac, probably has friends who drive Cadillacs.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 08-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    where did you see that? according to the victim's own words he shot when they perp reached down for what he thought was a gun (and it turned out to be so). the perp then drove away.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93799
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  15. #15
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Wayne County prosecutor not withstanding, according to what I read here, he should be fine.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kpt...%20AND%20force

    I wonder if his empty holster is because the police have confiscated it until a determination is made or because he was didn't want to wear it for the interview. Having said he never leaves home without his credit card or firearm, I am hoping he at least has a BUG.

    I agree with some of the comments made here....there is simply no value in talking to the press....none, nada. That said, he presented himself (and armed citizens everywhere in MI, well).....thugs beware!

    He appears to make all the correct statements describing his decision to shoot. "immediate fear for his life" in the commision of the crime.

    The fact that the LEA released him so quickly bodes well IMHO.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    My guess is the police stole it. Absent of due process according to the 5th amendment, they had no right to take it. Such an irresponsible thing to do, seeing that retaliation is likely after such an event.

  17. #17
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by skyisfalling View Post
    Don't talk to the press.
    Reporters are like cops. You don't know, friend or foe, until its too late.

    Same rules apply. Anything you say, can and will be used against you.

    That man said he pulled his weapon and fired before he actually saw a gun.

    When I OC, its my sidearm. Not my firearm and not my weapon.

    I hope he dose not get charged, but I judge him as stupid.
    The words "anything you say, can and will be used", must be changed to "anything you say,WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU",due to current laws and societal ignorance!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •