• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

detroit man shoots carjacker

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Interesting story.

I'm torn between thinking he talked too much, and that in talking he said exactly the right things--feared for life, reaching as though for a weapon. I wonder, which is better: no talking, or say only the exact things that cover the elements of justified self-defense?

Of course, a gun being found on the bad guy helps.

I think not talking is probably best. Who knows whether the press will repeat your words exactly, or twist them in some way. You can always give the interview after the jury no-bills you.

Note to self: decline all press interviews until after the prosecutor publicly states it was justified self-defense or the grand jury says no true bill.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hope he doesn't get charged.

There's another thread on this but yours has the link to video ;)

This is a lose for the victim. In most counties this guy would not have a worry, however in Wayne Co. he may be charged - [stupid is as stupid does]. Mean time, this guy has lost his ride, his pistol and his security while he waits for word from the authorities on high. Let us remember this is the same prosecutor (Kym Worthy) who said she'd bring charges against anyone other than LEO's that carried more than one pistol? She also worked to strip pastor Terry Jones of his rights [even wing nuts deserve their rights] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/terry-jones-quran-burning_n_851193.html

I feel bad that a 19yr. is dead, however if you act like a animal, expect to be put down like one.

skyisfalling

Don't talk to the press

Don't talk to the press.
Reporters are like cops. You don't know, friend or foe, until its too late.

Same rules apply. Anything you say, can and will be used against you.

That man said he pulled his weapon and fired before he actually saw a gun.

When I OC, its my sidearm. Not my firearm and not my weapon.

I hope he dose not get charged, but I judge him as stupid.

kryptonian

i agree with staying quiet about it. you have nothing to gain by talking to the media about it and everything to lose. the perp got what he deserved. sends a message to other would-be robbers. this i believe is the start of a trend of more citizen involved self defense wave that will make the criminal minds take notice.

TheQ

His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.

Outdoorsman

His mistake was he kept shooting after his life was no longer in danger (when the man was driving AWAY in his car). At that point he was attempting to defend property, not his own life.

I agree. I wish it was otherwise, but our laws are against this guy. The carjacker got what he deserved, but unfortunately the victim will probably also pay the price.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

where did you see that? according to the victim's own words he shot when they perp reached down for what he thought was a gun (and it turned out to be so). the perp then drove away.

Onnie

where did you see that? according to the victim's own words he shot when they perp reached down for what he thought was a gun (and it turned out to be so). the perp then drove away.

I heard he shot after the car drove away, but that was from a report on WWJ news in the interview he has a different version than what was originally reported by local radio news media

maybe because of his version is why Mz worthy let him leave LEO custody and that the news medias were reporting it wrong?????

Last edited:

eastmeyers

I am also wondering, because according to the story provided, only one shot was fired.

stainless1911

Banned
This i believe is the start of a trend of more citizen involved self defense wave that will make the criminal minds take notice.

Only if the trial results in him being found not guilty.

If he's found guilty, that sends a powerful message to would be thugs as well. Make it look like the other guys fault.

The most powerful enablers of the criminal element in this country is the justice system itself.

One reason to change the laws here, is because the victims life and now the lives and safety of his family would be in danger if the perp had gotten away with it. Theres likely his name address and keys in the vehicle. Even an address book left in the car puts his friends and contacts at risk of either retaliation, or further crime. The criminals know that the person who has a Cadillac, probably has friends who drive Cadillacs.

Last edited:

jt59

Wayne County prosecutor not withstanding, according to what I read here, he should be fine.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kp...=on&highlight=use AND of AND deadly AND force

I wonder if his empty holster is because the police have confiscated it until a determination is made or because he was didn't want to wear it for the interview. Having said he never leaves home without his credit card or firearm, I am hoping he at least has a BUG.

I agree with some of the comments made here....there is simply no value in talking to the press....none, nada. That said, he presented himself (and armed citizens everywhere in MI, well).....thugs beware!

He appears to make all the correct statements describing his decision to shoot. "immediate fear for his life" in the commision of the crime.

The fact that the LEA released him so quickly bodes well IMHO.

Haman J.T.

Don't talk to the press.
Reporters are like cops. You don't know, friend or foe, until its too late.

Same rules apply. Anything you say, can and will be used against you.

That man said he pulled his weapon and fired before he actually saw a gun.

When I OC, its my sidearm. Not my firearm and not my weapon.

I hope he dose not get charged, but I judge him as stupid.
The words "anything you say, can and will be used", must be changed to "anything you say,WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU",due to current laws and societal ignorance!