• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visting KY from CA - knife law question

dirtykoala

Hey, as the title says, ill be visiting KY soon from CA. I plan on bringing my gun and keeping it in the car, (anything special i should know about this? loaded ok? need to be locked up? in trunk? etc..) but i will hopefully be carrying a pocket knife everywhere i go unless there is some reason not to.

just wondering if there are any special knife laws i need to know about. ill be bringing my benchmade griptillian with me.

Thanks in advance!

also - are butterfly knives legal out there?

CharleyCherokee

Butterfly knives are LEGAL. You can have your firearm loaded and in your glovebox or any regularly installed compartment of your vehicle. You can wear it on your hip, or have it on your passenger seat if you want. :D You won't be able to keep a butterfly knife in your pocket without a concealed weapons permit, but a pocket knife will be alright. I'm fairly certain that there aren't any state laws governing knives other than needing a permit to conceal if the blade is over a certain length. You can even have a switchblade if you wanted! If it's under 2 inches you can take it back to California with you. ;) Might find travel with it a bit illegal in some states, but I digress. You won't have much to worry about here when it comes to carrying, really.

dirtykoala

Thanks!

how is OC in KY? do you expect to get stopped by cops or is it pretty normal?

Packer fan

I do not live in KY but have sisters there and I have found KY OC friendly. I walked into a Hardee's (I believe) in Princeton, Ky while OC in front of two a State Troopers not a word said between the three of us. I have OC in Hopkinsville also and nobody cared as far as I know.

Again, I don't live there but that is just my experiences from visiting.

Yes, my firearm was fully loaded. 10+1

CharleyCherokee

Yep. It's very oc friendly here. I've only ever had positive/neutral comments on my firearm in "normal" everyday carry. And I feel I should clarify about knives a bit. There is no statewide preemption for them so there could very well be local laws prohibiting them in some way. I've researched a relatively small percentage of local laws around Kentucky and have yet to find any such ordinance against knives specifically except to bar them from parks and such. These laws "include" firearms as well and are unenforceable in that respect. I highly doubt you'll have any problems because you're carrying a knife especially if you're wearing a firearm on your hip. :D If you have a permit to conceal you'll be ok to keep a knife in your pocket if it is other than a pocket knife or hunting knife. If it is either of those you won't need a permit to keep it in your pocket.

Statute of interest:

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/500-00/080.PDF

Last edited:

dirtykoala

Sounds like you guys have it pretty good over there! Are there any restrictions to open carry that I should know about? Gun free school zones or anything like that? What laws can I read pertaining to OC there?

Here in CA we have to be unloaded, I carry multiple voice recorders to record law enforcement encounters, I have money aside for legal defense, we can't carry within 1000ft of a k-12 school, and it's legal for cops to stop us just to inspect our gun and make sure it's unloaded.