• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

talking to little kids

jt59

Just looking for some others perspective...

I OC around and with my grandson (5/6) all the time and he is used to it, but lately I've been approached by little kids in that age range either out at a store or recently at one of my rental houses when some of the neighbor kids were hanging around. These are kids that I don't know at all, asking, "hey mister, why do you have a gun?"

The standard answers you may engage an adult stranger that is generally curious really don't fit.......but it remains a "teachable" moment as these kids aren't afraid, just inquisitive..........Any thoughts or share your experience?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Kids are very smart, and tend to be a lot less "complicated" than adults.

I would just give a "kid version" of the same thing I would give an adult.

For example, instead of "2nd Amendment says I can", I might say, "because sometimes good people have to defend themselves."

For kids this might work, "Because adults have a responsibility to protect kids as well as themselves."

Just keep it a level that does not need 12 years of mis-education to understand. Keep the politics out of it. Just keep it really down to earth. Kids will get it.

sandy

To keep my kids safe

I get asked that by kids a lot, and I'm usually around those other kids because my own kids are there with me.

I say "To keep me and my kids safe."

sudden valley gunner

I talk to kids all the time, we seem to get along well, maybe it's because I refuse to "grow up"....lol.

Like Citizen said kids are very bright and have a lot more understanding than many give them credit for. I change what I say all the time for the situation and the how the kid approaches the question. I find it an awesome opportunity to head off future misconceptions, so that they will remember the guy they met that wasn't a "bad guy" or a cop who carried a gun.

I was six when I saw my first OC'er, and my mom made nasty comments about it, I was determined at that age that I was going to do "that" some day. Took me about 30 years.....but I had never gave up on that thought and desire exercise that right.

amlevin

My very first lessons on gun safety came from a friend of the family when I was about 7. He was a County Coroner and former Marine. His words were along the line of "I see lots of people that ignore the safety rules for handling guns".

I've raised two children and have 5 grand's that have all been around guns. As soon as they were able to hold a basic conversation they learned about guns, why I carry one, and what their choices would be when they grew up.

If only more adults and parents had taken the time earlier, we wouldn't have so many in society that view guns as the #1 Evil in society.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Kids are naturally curious, so don't try to pretend they don't exist and hide them. My kids 14/17 are now so accustomed to me having guns they no longer care at all. My son loves to shoot (always clearing when picking up), my daughter doesn't care for them (but I gave her mace for xmas). They both understand that guns can kill, and don't mess with them when not appropriate. The chance of my kids messing with my guns is about good as them eating beets.

Hammer

A short time ago I was eating in a restaurant. A 5-6 YO kid was looking at me- a lot. Then he'd whisper to his momma. After a while, she said to me, he's curious about your gun. So I looked at him and said, What do you want to know about it? He seemed to relax right away, and never asked about the sidearm, just started telling me about this and that. I take it he was initially uncomfortable, but once I talked to him, and he understood I was not a threat, it was all OK.
We could say "too much TV" but there might be a lot of reasons for a child to fear a firearm. If I can make one child more comfortable that it is the user, not the weapon, that makes it a danger, I'd gladly do it.
My grandkids all know there are guns in the house. We review what to do if they find a gun or ammo on a regular basis. They're not scared, just smart.

amzbrady

A short time ago I was eating in a restaurant. A 5-6 YO kid was looking at me- a lot. Then he'd whisper to his momma. After a while, she said to me, he's curious about your gun. So I looked at him and said, What do you want to know about it? He seemed to relax right away, and never asked about the sidearm, just started telling me about this and that. I take it he was initially uncomfortable, but once I talked to him, and he understood I was not a threat, it was all OK.
We could say "too much TV" but there might be a lot of reasons for a child to fear a firearm. If I can make one child more comfortable that it is the user, not the weapon, that makes it a danger, I'd gladly do it.
My grandkids all know there are guns in the house. We review what to do if they find a gun or ammo on a regular basis. They're not scared, just smart.

I think most of the reason is there are too many libtard Americans who are willing to just give up their rights. They preach that guns are bad and neglect their duties as Americans, but they sure like their freedoms here and would rather not live in a different country. Unfortunatly, those very people are the ones making it possible for our government to turn this country into one of THOSE COUNTRIES.

TechnoWeenie

I've had a few situations where I've been tugged on (shirt tail) or poked, with questions regarding my gun...

I've had a few parents apologize, a few answer the questions for their kids, and a few ask me for their kids....

Most have been polite.

nonverbal communication is important, I'll usually look at them first, nod, they nod back (or not) in a nonverbal acknowledgement that it's OK.

A few times I've stooped down to talk to them, and explained that it was up to their parents to tell them.

I had one guy say 'Good guys aren't always cops, and the good guys carry too'

Just depends on the situation.

We're all ambassadors here, so it's up to us to be open to public communication, even if it's inconvenient.

Trigger Dr

If you are going to talk with a child, it is much more effective if you get down to their level....face to face, and smile a lot.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I was asked the other day by a 3 year old grandson if he could see my gun. It was holstered strong side at the time. I told him first I had to make it safe. So I went to a comfortable chair and sat down. Unholstered the .45 cal Kimber as I was telling him that we always keep the muzzle pointed at a safe direction. I dropped the magazine and unchambered the one in the pipe.
Then, I showed and told him how to tell if it was unloaded, with the slide locked back and the magazine well empty. At this point I told him that if he ever saw a gun that had been left by someone that he was to go get an adult.
Finally, I took the slide off the receiver and put both major parts in his hands so he could see, feel, and explore them under my supervision--- and keep reminding him to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Haven't told his mother, my daughter, yet but He has never seen me without a firearm holstered on my hip in his life!

FireFighterchen

Activist Member
Happened today!

I was out getting some groceries. I was standing in front of the milk when I heard a lady say, "ok go get some milk." I looked to my right and saw a child about 6 years old coming running, ramming speed!, until he was about 5 feet from me. He looked up and noticed my sidearm and stopped and stared at me for a good 5 seconds. I smiled and stepped to the side and said, go ahead you can get your milk. He smiled back, grabbed his milk, and walked away. It was a great encounter in my book.