• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop Absolutely Saw Me OC'ing!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
My pardner and I went over to the range today to enjoy some shooting.
I espeically wanted to practice left hand (single hand) shooting.
Something that stuck in my craw was how awkward it was when I had to do it while qualifying for my CCW.

Anyhow, after blowing through 90 rounds of ammo, I went outside. There was a car with 4 kids inside, windows all up, and the temperature near 100 degrees. So......... I called the Aurora P.D. to report this.

Two squad cars arrived and they took control over the situation, and I know they must have seen my pistol hanging on my belt. After they wrapped up business at with the people who left their kids in the car, one of the officers drove toward me to explain they left the engine running with the AC on. He told me that if that hadn't been the case, criminal charges would have been filed. As it was, they issued a ticket to the driver. With my pistol at eye level, there is no doubt in my mind he saw it. But then again, I was OC'ing outside of a gun range. So, no terribly large deal there.

Anyhow, we enjoyed shooting, and the cops gave the owner of the car a proper dressing down, because if one had put the vehicle into gear, whether intentionally or by accident, things could have been real bad. That's why they got a ticket, I believe.

At least the parents of those kids know that somebody is looking out for their children better than they were doing.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

carsontech

Activist Member
A few guys didn't show up concealing AK-47s in their pants afterwards, did they? lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am relating your experience with the lady in Philly who called in a posse after someone gave her lip on how she shouldn't discipline her child.

In all seriousness, I think parents shouldn't leave their kids in the car alone, unless they know there kids are mature enough, and smart enough, to handle sitting in a car that is running with the AC on.

The way you explained the situation, it sounded like the kids were pretty young. I am all for staying out of other peoples' business, but when potential death may be involved, I might step in.

Also, I'm glad the cops didn't do the whole "You have to disarm when you're talking with the cops" thing.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

A few guys didn't show up concealing AK-47s in their pants afterwards, did they? lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am relating your experience with the lady in Philly who called in a posse after someone gave her lip on how she shouldn't discipline her child.

In all seriousness, I think parents shouldn't leave their kids in the car alone, unless they know there kids are mature enough, and smart enough, to handle sitting in a car that is running with the AC on.

The way you explained the situation, it sounded like the kids were pretty young. I am all for staying out of other peoples' business, but when potential death may be involved, I might step in.

Also, I'm glad the cops didn't do the whole "You have to disarm when you're talking with the cops" thing.

Howdy Amigo!
I'll need to check out the story you metion in Philly, because I haven't heard about it. Sounds interesting though.
Getting back to those kids, there were like 4 of them with the oldest being maybe 5 to 8 years of age. I couldn't tell because I didn't approach the vehicle and they were bouncing around inside. I did not know the engine was running, but still would have called five oh because it appeared to be a hazard to their safety. If I saw somebody leave a dog in the car with windows rolled up on a hot day, I'd do the same thing.

Like you, I usually stay out of other people's business without considerable concern. Here in Colorado, when the temperature is pushing 100 degrees, the inside temperature can climb to 160 degrees in 5 minutes flat. For any living thing, the car is no longer a vehicle but an oven where they can cook fairly rapidly. So I dropped a dime and the problem got handled. Even though they had the car running with the AC on, a faulty exhaust system could have caused the death of all 4 of them kids through carbon monoxide poisoning. While that is a fairly remote possibility, it does happen in America.

Anyhow, the cop sitting in his car was at eye level with my pistol and never even gave it a second glance. Maybe not a big deal, considering we were in the parking lot of a shooting range, but I'm hoping it is the general attitude of our local police to respect open carry rights. This is the closest I've come to being in direct contact with our city's finest since I started open carrying.

As the man who fell from the top of the Empire State Building said as he passed shocked witnesses looking out the window on the 52nd floor:
"So far, so good!"
I just hope it stays that way!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

You did the right thing. They never should leave young children alone in a running vehicle even if it is 35 degrees out. As to the gun and cop, not surprised. Especially at a shooting range. In the Springs, the cop probably would have asked you what you were carrying.

mahkagari

May have been a ticket for leaving the car idling. That's illegal in at least Denver. Gets particularly enforced in winter when people lock the car to go into the convenience store with their spare key/remote but leave the car and heater running.

Depending on the ages/maturity level of the kids, I'm not sure I'd have called 5-0 if I heard the engine and A/C running. If it looked like they were going to be there for an hour while mom and dad shot a box, then yeah. If they just ran in to buy a box of .22 on their way up to the mountains, that's different. As a parent, there's as much worry/hassle with cops and CPS sticking their noses in your business as OCing except you have more at risk than a $400 pistol. There was a friend of a friend who got a ticket when it was POURING down rain outside and she pulled up to a grocery store ATM. She was literally two steps from her kids in the car while she drew her cash. A cop came by and gave her a ticket for "leaving her kids unattended in a vehicle".

M-Taliesin

Depending on the ages/maturity level of the kids, I'm not sure I'd have called 5-0 if I heard the engine and A/C running. If it looked like they were going to be there for an hour while mom and dad shot a box, then yeah. If they just ran in to buy a box of .22 on their way up to the mountains, that's different.

Howdy Amigo!
The kids were real young. I wouldn't think it appropriate to leave them in a running vehicle to start with, but they were in that store for quite awhile. I had time to come out, load a pipe with my favorite tobacco, talk with one of the guys who works there, reach a decision to call 5-0, and wait the 8 to 10 minutes for them to arrive. I'm guessing they were alone in the vehicle, that I know about, for some 20 minutes.

I will agree with you that CPS tends to overstep sometimes, and often are far too invasive of parenting rights and such, but I feel clear about my decision to all in APD to check it out. I could not hear any indication of the motor running or the AC being on. It was stone quiet. I was relived to learn that they were not baking like salmon in that car, but still... it was an unsafe situation.

Thanks for your sharing your insights.
Not being a parent, I don't have that perspective.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Wonder if they got busted for not having enough of them in carseats. Around $300 fine @. Law just changed AGAIN to basically require kids up to 12 be in some sort of car seat. Of course, it would be more efficient to require car manufacturers to have height adjustable seat belts or cheaper to sell equipment for the same purpose, but now that wouldn't profit the car seat lobby, would it? Sorry, whole other legislative rant.

JamesB

Wonder if they got busted for not having enough of them in carseats. Around $300 fine @. Law just changed AGAIN to basically require kids up to 12 be in some sort of car seat. Of course, it would be more efficient to require car manufacturers to have height adjustable seat belts or cheaper to sell equipment for the same purpose, but now that wouldn't profit the car seat lobby, would it? Sorry, whole other legislative rant.

Way cheeper to ride the bus??

O yea no OC on the bus...nevermind.

mahkagari

Way cheeper to ride the bus??

O yea no OC on the bus...nevermind.

Not cheaper for me. I lost my license for a couple months due to a DMV paperwork SNAFU and had to take the bus to work. First, DW had to drive me into Longmont to even catch the bus to Boulder. Then I had to ride my bike from the bus stop to the office. Between the bus fare, extra time, DW's time away from her own productivity and gas in her car, there was no way the bus/bike was cheaper. I love to shove that story at tree-hugging Boulderites who tut-tut at me for driving.

JamesB

Not cheaper for me. I lost my license for a couple months due to a DMV paperwork SNAFU and had to take the bus to work. First, DW had to drive me into Longmont to even catch the bus to Boulder. Then I had to ride my bike from the bus stop to the office. Between the bus fare, extra time, DW's time away from her own productivity and gas in her car, there was no way the bus/bike was cheaper. I love to shove that story at tree-hugging Boulderites who tut-tut at me for driving.

For about four years I rode a little 50cc scooter. It got 100 miles/gallon and cost 100/YEAR for insurance.

Bus was WAY out of my price range, and I got there faster.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For about four years I rode a little 50cc scooter. It got 100 miles/gallon and cost 100/YEAR for insurance.

Bus was WAY out of my price range, and I got there faster.

Neither rain, snow, sleet or hail deterred you from your appointed rounds. :eek:

M-Taliesin

~

For about four years I rode a little 50cc scooter.

Howdy JamesB!
"You can't wear a jacket that says 'kiss my ass' while riding a scooter!!!!" ~ Bill Engvall, Blue Collar Comedy Tour!

Sorry, but I can't even read about a scooter without Bill Engvall's comedy bit about his wife getting him a scooter.
He wanted a motorcycle, and anticipated that's what his wife would get him.
So he got a helmet, fringed leather jacket with the words on the back:
"If you don't love America, you can kiss my ass!"

I suppose a scooter would be an economical alternative to cars or public transportation, but I'd prefer something at least 500cc.

Never been on a scooter, but I always look at them and wonder if they aren't just a little embarassed to be riding a scooter.
No offense, but I just can't imagine riding around on a scooter.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

"You can't wear a jacket that says 'kiss my ass' while riding a scooter!!!!" ~ Bill Engvall, Blue Collar Comedy Tour!

I think that was his "Aged and Confused" special. And you call yoursefl a fan. Psht.

Never been on a scooter, but I always look at them and wonder if they aren't just a little embarassed to be riding a scooter.

I had to read that a second time. I thought you were referring to the scooter itself. I.e. wonder if the scooter isn't just a little embarassed to BE a scooter.

Though, I've seen some BAMFs riding them who are just saying, "I *dare* you to say something."

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
At least they left the A/C on for them. Why are you making such a big deal about if the cop saw your gun or not? It's not a big deal around here man.

M-Taliesin

At least they left the A/C on for them. Why are you making such a big deal about if the cop saw your gun or not? It's not a big deal around here man.

Howdy Amigo!
Probably because I have only just started OC'ing fairly recently, and this is the nearest I've gotten to an LEO since I started doing so.
Like, some folks on this forum have been OC'ing for years. Decades even. But for me, I only learned of the concept in May!
Yeah, I've carried every day since, but never gotten that close to an officer before.

Even here in Colorado, we have a couple of folks that got hassled by LEOs while open carrying. One particular guy was approached by a police officer who had drawn his pistol. That was in Lakewood. Up in Loveland, another OC'er was detained for 30 minutes and questioned but he made a good complaint and got compensated by the city.

Consider, if you will, that I only recently started OC'ing, have hardly seen any police let alone had one get close, and am travelling new territory that is unfamiliar, but have reason to suspect it can result in a negative encounter. Until I have a few such encounters under my belt, I just don't know how I'll deal with the situation. I play scenarios in my head, but those usually are a poor reflection of what we might find in reality.

So, maybe I'll be more relaxed after a year or two of continual OC'ing, but right now, this is pretty new to me.

Hope that answers your question, and thanks for asking.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Why are you making such a big deal about if the cop saw your gun or not? It's not a big deal around here man.

That would be the point. Beyond the reasons M-T notes, it'll point out to newbies just how cool our state is. This would really be a quiet board if we only b***** about being hassled by LEOs. Confrontations with ignoramuses cetainly get the blood flowing, but I personally prefer the reports of good encounters, or encounters that could have been bad and were really non-issues.

And now for a break and a word from the Comittee for No the World Doesn't Suck As Badly As You Think:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19317_7-pieces-good-news-nobody-reporting.html

Gunslinger

Howdy Amigo!
Probably because I have only just started OC'ing fairly recently, and this is the nearest I've gotten to an LEO since I started doing so.
Like, some folks on this forum have been OC'ing for years. Decades even. But for me, I only learned of the concept in May!
Yeah, I've carried every day since, but never gotten that close to an officer before.

Even here in Colorado, we have a couple of folks that got hassled by LEOs while open carrying. One particular guy was approached by a police officer who had drawn his pistol. That was in Lakewood. Up in Loveland, another OC'er was detained for 30 minutes and questioned but he made a good complaint and got compensated by the city.

Consider, if you will, that I only recently started OC'ing, have hardly seen any police let alone had one get close, and am travelling new territory that is unfamiliar, but have reason to suspect it can result in a negative encounter. Until I have a few such encounters under my belt, I just don't know how I'll deal with the situation. I play scenarios in my head, but those usually are a poor reflection of what we might find in reality.

So, maybe I'll be more relaxed after a year or two of continual OC'ing, but right now, this is pretty new to me.

Hope that answers your question, and thanks for asking.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Courts in CO don't take kindly to police who violate the rights of its citizens. If you come across one while OCing--ka-ching.