Thread: A Few of Many Reasons I Open Carry!

A Few of Many Reasons I Open Carry!

Howdy Folks!
    How I wish I could really explain this to citizens who ask "Why are you carrying a gun?"
    My reasons are so many, it just wouldn't be practical to run them all down!

For starters, my home was burglarized twice. So I wanted the ability to defend our home.
    I've been robbed at gunpoint while at work. That's an experience I would be happy to never repeat.
    I've been threatened on the streets by n'er-do-wells who tried to intimidate.
    And because of my metal detecting hobby. That provides me with plenty of reasons.

Open carrying sends a visible message to n'er-do-wells that I am not the man with whom to truck.
    And it gives a visible sign to others who may be casing the homestead that other houses would be safer targets.
    It shows a would-be robber that I am prepared to fend for myself.
    But one of the strongest reasons is because of metal detecting.

When I am out detecting, I am carrying a machine that is very expensive. On my person will likely be a fair clutch of gold or silver. Sometimes I find rare relics. One thin Barber dime I found is a keydate minted out of New Orleans in 1895. The value of that one dime, all by itself, is over $400 dollars!

Here is a video of things I typically find while detecting. You'll also see a photo of me with my Mossburg Maverick 88 12ga.

Too bad I can't show this video to everybody who asks that question we started with.
    "Why are you carrying that gun?"

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Those are some great finds!

Alright, fess up. Who got him started????

J/k. Makes me want to take up the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Alright, fess up. Who got him started????
    Howdy Pard!
    To answer your question, I believe it was Citizen!!!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Great Post! That looks like a very lucrative hobby, makes one want to take up metal detecting themselves. It is definitely a great reason to carry, any thief would love to get their hands on your findings.

I like the new AV pic as well.
    "The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."

"How can you thank a man for giving you what's already yours? How then can you thank him for giving you only part of what is yours?"
    Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by TheLittleMan View Post
    Great Post! That looks like a very lucrative hobby, makes one want to take up metal detecting themselves. It is definitely a great reason to carry, any thief would love to get their hands on your findings.

I like the new AV pic as well.
    Especially with gold hitting another new all time high last night. Hell 250 higher than when we met for dinner in belmar just 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Especially with gold hitting another new all time high last night. Hell 250 higher than when we met for dinner in belmar just 3 weeks ago.
    IMO, if it's hit the all time high, it's too late to start on it. I'm fixin' to sell a bunch of mine if it gets much higher. It's overpriced for its inflation adjusted value.

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    IMO, if it's hit the all time high, it's too late to start on it. I'm fixin' to sell a bunch of mine if it gets much higher. It's overpriced for its inflation adjusted value.
    Howdy Mahkagari!
    Yeah... but when I get gold for free, I'm pretty happy with whatever price I can get for selling it! The more, the merrier!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Yeah... but when I get gold for free, I'm pretty happy with whatever price I can get for selling it! The more, the merrier!
    I'd argue labor and equipment ROI but it's a hobby for you so you're hopeless.