• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Few of Many Reasons I Open Carry!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
How I wish I could really explain this to citizens who ask "Why are you carrying a gun?"
My reasons are so many, it just wouldn't be practical to run them all down!

For starters, my home was burglarized twice. So I wanted the ability to defend our home.
I've been robbed at gunpoint while at work. That's an experience I would be happy to never repeat.
I've been threatened on the streets by n'er-do-wells who tried to intimidate.
And because of my metal detecting hobby. That provides me with plenty of reasons.

Open carrying sends a visible message to n'er-do-wells that I am not the man with whom to truck.
And it gives a visible sign to others who may be casing the homestead that other houses would be safer targets.
It shows a would-be robber that I am prepared to fend for myself.
But one of the strongest reasons is because of metal detecting.

When I am out detecting, I am carrying a machine that is very expensive. On my person will likely be a fair clutch of gold or silver. Sometimes I find rare relics. One thin Barber dime I found is a keydate minted out of New Orleans in 1895. The value of that one dime, all by itself, is over $400 dollars!

Here is a video of things I typically find while detecting. You'll also see a photo of me with my Mossburg Maverick 88 12ga.

[video=youtube;9bP-g4Nojnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bP-g4Nojnc[/video]

Too bad I can't show this video to everybody who asks that question we started with.
"Why are you carrying that gun?"

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Alright, fess up. Who got him started????

J/k. Makes me want to take up the hobby.

TheLittleMan

Great Post! That looks like a very lucrative hobby, makes one want to take up metal detecting themselves. It is definitely a great reason to carry, any thief would love to get their hands on your findings.

I like the new AV pic as well.

JamesB

Great Post! That looks like a very lucrative hobby, makes one want to take up metal detecting themselves. It is definitely a great reason to carry, any thief would love to get their hands on your findings.

I like the new AV pic as well.

Especially with gold hitting another new all time high last night. Hell 250 higher than when we met for dinner in belmar just 3 weeks ago.

mahkagari

Especially with gold hitting another new all time high last night. Hell 250 higher than when we met for dinner in belmar just 3 weeks ago.

IMO, if it's hit the all time high, it's too late to start on it. I'm fixin' to sell a bunch of mine if it gets much higher. It's overpriced for its inflation adjusted value.

M-Taliesin

IMO, if it's hit the all time high, it's too late to start on it. I'm fixin' to sell a bunch of mine if it gets much higher. It's overpriced for its inflation adjusted value.

Howdy Mahkagari!
Yeah... but when I get gold for free, I'm pretty happy with whatever price I can get for selling it! The more, the merrier!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin