Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 103

Thread: Olivette Mo To Ban Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member xdmcompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Louis City
    Posts
    289

    Olivette Mo To Ban Open Carry

    Posted on Opencarry In Missouri on facebook "Mike D#&*^y posted"
    Not sure if you were aware but a friend of mine attended a city council meeting in Olivette last evening. They plan to vote to ban open carry.

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Will look into it and see about confirming.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Confirmed, got the minutes.

    7. Bill #2679 – An Ordinance to Amend Section 215.340 (D) of the Code of Ordinances of
    the City of Olivette so as to Repeal the Portion of Said Subsection which Relates to the
    Open Carrying of Firearms or Any Other Weapon Readily Capable of Lethal Use – First
    Reading
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    OK,

    Olivette is one of the with a CCW localities and paragraph "D" exclusions

    They had a first read, police chief Knox asked for it, the city atty has supposedly drafted the new version, it was seconded and then a vote was cast, it was 100% for, the police chief offered that by having open carry persons could openly carry a firearm into schools etc and referred to the ban as a "no brainer" which I tend to agree with, you cant have a brain and still support the ban.

    it is section 215.340 of the Olivette code available on sullivan publications.

    FYI for the olivette minutes you are going to have to wait, however the audio of the meeting has been released.

    http://www.olivettemo.com/aam/counci...il_minutes.htm will get you there.


    Have a bit more research to do, however this should be a high priority for everyone and we have a great group here in the Stl Market, now the question is, WILL YOU COME?

    Five showed to the Maplewood call, we have had as many as 32 come eat dinner, I have no issue speaking publicly about it, nor do the others working for change. You do not have to speak but do you think we can put some bodies standing behind us this time?

    We will be going with or without you and we will do our best, but if we do not have a show of support like we were able to rally in Troy, we will have an up hill battle.

    Did you eat mexican food for the last several weeks just because you like it, or are you willing to stand with us and support the effort? Only you can make tht call.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  5. #5
    Regular Member xdmcompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Louis City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    however this should be a high priority for everyone and we have a great group here in the Stl Market, now the question is, WILL YOU COME?
    Keep me posted Rich I will be there with you just like in Maplewood.

  6. #6
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Confirmed, got the minutes.

    7. Bill #2679 – An Ordinance to Amend Section 215.340 (D) of the Code of Ordinances of
    the City of Olivette so as to Repeal the Portion of Said Subsection which Relates to the
    Open Carrying of Firearms or Any Other Weapon Readily Capable of Lethal Use – First
    Reading
    Dam this will be the safest place on earth, nobody will have knifes (hope there is no steak house in town), no cars (we wouldn't want someone killed from getting hit by a car), and definitly NO and I mean NO chewing gum ( I have seen people killed by choking on gum more than once).

  7. #7
    Regular Member mspgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellisville, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,966

    Ollivette

    The next City council meeting is August 23rd @ 7:00PM.
    That's all i can find for now.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmcompact View Post
    Keep me posted Rich I will be there with you just like in Maplewood.
    Know you will. Not sure if you have gotten your copy of the news letter but it was indeed noted in it that you were there but were not in the photo of the event.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  9. #9
    Regular Member xdmcompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Louis City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Know you will. Not sure if you have gotten your copy of the news letter but it was indeed noted in it that you were there but were not in the photo of the event.
    Yeah have read it already, keep up the good work on it. Now the next pic in Olivette needs to have alot more people in it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    474
    I'll attend so count me in. Will it do any good? Probably not because they are being ran by bogus fear and ignorance. We need to gather as many facts as possible related to OC as in stats and so forth to present.

    A side note. How does OC allow us to carry in schools? Schools have a no weapons policy. His argument is void right there.
    Last edited by Tony4310; 08-10-2011 at 07:25 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member mspgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellisville, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,966

    OC ban

    I spoke with the good folks at City Hall.
    The open carry ban will "NOT be covered at the Aug 23rd City Council meeting, they will vote on it Sept. 13th.
    There is a public input session, a person may speak for 3 minutes.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    I spoke with the good folks at City Hall.
    The open carry ban will "NOT be covered at the Aug 23rd City Council meeting, they will vote on it Sept. 13th.
    There is a public input session, a person may speak for 3 minutes.
    Will the public input session be at the september meeting or aug?
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  13. #13
    Regular Member mspgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellisville, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Will the public input session be at the september meeting or aug?
    September 13, the meeting starts @7:00PM
    The vote is the same night.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Robertsville
    Posts
    112
    I will try and be there I work up that way. I don't want to speak but I will try and go for support. I'm too quiet and shy to do public speaking.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    south central MO, USA
    Posts
    95

    Lmtd

    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Will the public input session be at the september meeting or aug?
    Check your PM, please.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Five showed to the Maplewood call, we have had as many as 32 come eat dinner, I have no issue speaking publicly about it, nor do the others working for change. You do not have to speak but do you think we can put some bodies standing behind us this time?

    We will be going with or without you and we will do our best, but if we do not have a show of support like we were able to rally in Troy, we will have an up hill battle.
    One person showed representing Missouri Open Carry in Troy, MO. It was a last minute appeal, and even the one was very much appreciated.
    But I don't want anyone to think there was some big rally for Open Carry at the Troy City Council meeting...The work of success was done prior to the meeting by two citizens who don't even open carry...just sayin'

  17. #17
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    I'm not from Missouri, but here's some talking points (which we can modify or add to given the three minute time limit).

    1. Gun free zones are crime magnets;
    2. A properly holstered HG is no danger to anyone;
    3. Would you deny your 60 year old grandmother the right and ability to defend herself if she's out alone (and is properly trained)?;
    4. Almost all gun enabled locations have lower crime (quote statistics?);
    5. Criminals NEVER carry their guns openly in a visible, proper holster;
    6. There is no reason to try to defeat the 2A - trained permitted citizens and trained non-permitted citizens alike are responsible almost to the person when carrying HGs and are actually MORE polite and calm than the average person;
    7. When people say 'think of the children' it's not meaningful. Children do not fear properly carried holstered guns, but only get upset if a parent or adult gets unreasonably upset. If your child was in a McDonald's restaurant and a random criminal shooter came in to gun down everyone wouldn't you want at least one person to have a handgun? If one or two people carried there openly the gunner might flee before firing a shot; (cite the case where the woman left her gun in the car and her parents were gunned down;
    8. Open carriers have saved at least one restaurant (Waffle House/give cite) by eating there;
    9. Churches are now targets and have been held up by criminals;
    10. If everyone open carried and nobody got alarmed, there'd be almost no crime in that area. Criminals seek out soft targets. Concealed carry, while fine is no visible deterrent;
    11. Modern handguns are extremely safe and will not discharged if dropped, and modern holsters have secure retention aspects.
    HTH, and Good luck;
    12. It's never been shown that a number of open carriers being in a store would result in a hail of bullets if a bad guy came in, and again, open carry would deter one from going ahead with a robbery;
    13. "A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter."
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 08-11-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post
    But I don't want anyone to think there was some big rally for Open Carry at the Troy City Council meeting...The work of success was done prior to the meeting by two citizens who don't even open carry...just sayin'
    You are incorrect sir. There was indeed a very large rally for Troy it happened before the meeting between 11:30 pm and 6 the next day. I am not going to go into details on the internet but I can assure you a very effective rally took place.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924

    Do not freak out over the post disgrace article!!!!!!!!!!!!

    As usual,

    they got it WRONG. They did NOT pass it, it was the first reading and I have already communicated with the city manager about the issue about an hour ago and will be submitting him information later this evening when I get home.

    THIS IS NOT OVER, it is not even close and we actually have a high probability of defeating the proposed change.

    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  21. #21
    Regular Member Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    474
    I just wanted to share it with you all lol. I wrote STL today and told them they got it wrong.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Does MO not have preemption?

  23. #23
    Regular Member Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    474
    No, it does not. Only for ccw,but not for OC

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    You are incorrect sir. There was indeed a very large rally for Troy it happened before the meeting between 11:30 pm and 6 the next day. I am not going to go into details on the internet but I can assure you a very effective rally took place.
    You're request was for a "show of bodies" at Olivette was followed by your statement about a "rally" at Troy "linking" the two thoughts together. There was one, welcomed, "body" representing Missouri Open Carry at that Troy meeting.

    While I appreciate any, and all, efforts "behind the scenes", if that is what you're referring to,
    the decision to trash the amendment was made the Friday prior to the meeting after two local citizens met with public officials as well as the Troy Police Chief and County Sheriff, just so you know.
    The point is that it was a win for the 2nd Amendment and not a personal victory for anyone.

    Regards...

  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post
    You're request was for a "show of bodies" at Olivette was followed by your statement about a "rally" at Troy "linking" the two thoughts together. There was one, welcomed, "body" representing Missouri Open Carry at that Troy meeting.

    While I appreciate any, and all, efforts "behind the scenes", if that is what you're referring to,
    the decision to trash the amendment was made the Friday prior to the meeting after two local citizens met with public officials as well as the Troy Police Chief and County Sheriff, just so you know.
    The point is that it was a win for the 2nd Amendment and not a personal victory for anyone.

    Regards...
    You are welcome to believe whatever you like sir, I know what was done and I know the person who did it seeks anonymity so I grant him that without regard to other theories.

    You made your post and I saw it at approximately 11:00pm the night before the meeting, I know this because I called Doc and was concerned he would be in bed.

    Beyond that it can remain a mystery as far as public discussion on the internet and you are welcome to whatever it is you want to think happened.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •