• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olivette Mo To Ban Open Carry

xdmcompact

Posted on Opencarry In Missouri on facebook "Mike D#&*^y posted"
Not sure if you were aware but a friend of mine attended a city council meeting in Olivette last evening. They plan to vote to ban open carry.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Confirmed, got the minutes.

7. Bill #2679 – An Ordinance to Amend Section 215.340 (D) of the Code of Ordinances of
the City of Olivette so as to Repeal the Portion of Said Subsection which Relates to the
Open Carrying of Firearms or Any Other Weapon Readily Capable of Lethal Use – First
Reading

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
OK,

Olivette is one of the with a CCW localities and paragraph "D" exclusions

They had a first read, police chief Knox asked for it, the city atty has supposedly drafted the new version, it was seconded and then a vote was cast, it was 100% for, the police chief offered that by having open carry persons could openly carry a firearm into schools etc and referred to the ban as a "no brainer" which I tend to agree with, you cant have a brain and still support the ban.

it is section 215.340 of the Olivette code available on sullivan publications.

FYI for the olivette minutes you are going to have to wait, however the audio of the meeting has been released.

http://www.olivettemo.com/aam/council_minutes/council_minutes.htm will get you there.

Have a bit more research to do, however this should be a high priority for everyone and we have a great group here in the Stl Market, now the question is, WILL YOU COME?

Five showed to the Maplewood call, we have had as many as 32 come eat dinner, I have no issue speaking publicly about it, nor do the others working for change. You do not have to speak but do you think we can put some bodies standing behind us this time?

We will be going with or without you and we will do our best, but if we do not have a show of support like we were able to rally in Troy, we will have an up hill battle.

Did you eat mexican food for the last several weeks just because you like it, or are you willing to stand with us and support the effort? Only you can make tht call.

DocWalker

Confirmed, got the minutes.

7. Bill #2679 – An Ordinance to Amend Section 215.340 (D) of the Code of Ordinances of
the City of Olivette so as to Repeal the Portion of Said Subsection which Relates to the
Open Carrying of Firearms or Any Other Weapon Readily Capable of Lethal Use – First
Reading

Dam this will be the safest place on earth, nobody will have knifes (hope there is no steak house in town), no cars (we wouldn't want someone killed from getting hit by a car), and definitly NO and I mean NO chewing gum ( I have seen people killed by choking on gum more than once).

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Keep me posted Rich I will be there with you just like in Maplewood.

Know you will. Not sure if you have gotten your copy of the news letter but it was indeed noted in it that you were there but were not in the photo of the event.

xdmcompact

Know you will. Not sure if you have gotten your copy of the news letter but it was indeed noted in it that you were there but were not in the photo of the event.

Yeah have read it already, keep up the good work on it. Now the next pic in Olivette needs to have alot more people in it.

Tony4310

I'll attend so count me in. Will it do any good? Probably not because they are being ran by bogus fear and ignorance. We need to gather as many facts as possible related to OC as in stats and so forth to present.

A side note. How does OC allow us to carry in schools? Schools have a no weapons policy. His argument is void right there.

Last edited:

mspgunner

OC ban

I spoke with the good folks at City Hall.
The open carry ban will "NOT be covered at the Aug 23rd City Council meeting, they will vote on it Sept. 13th.
There is a public input session, a person may speak for 3 minutes.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I spoke with the good folks at City Hall.
The open carry ban will "NOT be covered at the Aug 23rd City Council meeting, they will vote on it Sept. 13th.
There is a public input session, a person may speak for 3 minutes.

Will the public input session be at the september meeting or aug?

repomasterstl

I will try and be there I work up that way. I don't want to speak but I will try and go for support. I'm too quiet and shy to do public speaking.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

lincomores

Five showed to the Maplewood call, we have had as many as 32 come eat dinner, I have no issue speaking publicly about it, nor do the others working for change. You do not have to speak but do you think we can put some bodies standing behind us this time?

We will be going with or without you and we will do our best, but if we do not have a show of support like we were able to rally in Troy, we will have an up hill battle.

One person showed representing Missouri Open Carry in Troy, MO. It was a last minute appeal, and even the one was very much appreciated.
But I don't want anyone to think there was some big rally for Open Carry at the Troy City Council meeting...The work of success was done prior to the meeting by two citizens who don't even open carry...just sayin'

Badger Johnson

I'm not from Missouri, but here's some talking points (which we can modify or add to given the three minute time limit).

1. Gun free zones are crime magnets;
2. A properly holstered HG is no danger to anyone;
3. Would you deny your 60 year old grandmother the right and ability to defend herself if she's out alone (and is properly trained)?;
4. Almost all gun enabled locations have lower crime (quote statistics?);
5. Criminals NEVER carry their guns openly in a visible, proper holster;
6. There is no reason to try to defeat the 2A - trained permitted citizens and trained non-permitted citizens alike are responsible almost to the person when carrying HGs and are actually MORE polite and calm than the average person;
7. When people say 'think of the children' it's not meaningful. Children do not fear properly carried holstered guns, but only get upset if a parent or adult gets unreasonably upset. If your child was in a McDonald's restaurant and a random criminal shooter came in to gun down everyone wouldn't you want at least one person to have a handgun? If one or two people carried there openly the gunner might flee before firing a shot; (cite the case where the woman left her gun in the car and her parents were gunned down;
8. Open carriers have saved at least one restaurant (Waffle House/give cite) by eating there;
9. Churches are now targets and have been held up by criminals;
10. If everyone open carried and nobody got alarmed, there'd be almost no crime in that area. Criminals seek out soft targets. Concealed carry, while fine is no visible deterrent;
11. Modern handguns are extremely safe and will not discharged if dropped, and modern holsters have secure retention aspects.
HTH, and Good luck;
12. It's never been shown that a number of open carriers being in a store would result in a hail of bullets if a bad guy came in, and again, open carry would deter one from going ahead with a robbery;
13. "A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter."

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
But I don't want anyone to think there was some big rally for Open Carry at the Troy City Council meeting...The work of success was done prior to the meeting by two citizens who don't even open carry...just sayin'

You are incorrect sir. There was indeed a very large rally for Troy it happened before the meeting between 11:30 pm and 6 the next day. I am not going to go into details on the internet but I can assure you a very effective rally took place.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Do not freak out over the post disgrace article!!!!!!!!!!!!

As usual,

they got it WRONG. They did NOT pass it, it was the first reading and I have already communicated with the city manager about the issue about an hour ago and will be submitting him information later this evening when I get home.

THIS IS NOT OVER, it is not even close and we actually have a high probability of defeating the proposed change.

:)