Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Fire Chief arrested over storing firarms at office

  1. #1
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960

    Fire Chief arrested over storing firarms at office

    http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...8.html?abc=123

    Rich, any relation????? Couldn't resist.

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    No relation.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Shelton
    Posts
    138
    that sucks.... why would you leave stuff like that in your office???

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mitola View Post
    that sucks.... why would you leave stuff like that in your office???
    Why would you leave it in your home or car?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Shelton
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Why would you leave it in your home or car?
    I should have clarified, My wife works for the city of Ansonia and it is clearly posted in the building that the Fire Chief's office is in that there are no firearms allowed in the building. That and I guess as long as you are complying with laws regarding the storage of firearms you'd be ok but in this case he knew he was wrong.

    BTW he wasn't arrested he was placed on leave KIX there has been no indication that he will be arrested.

    The rumor however is that he was holding NRA pistol safety classes in the building against city policies.
    Last edited by Shawn Mitola; 08-10-2011 at 04:48 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mitola View Post
    I should have clarified, My wife works for the city of Ansonia and it is clearly posted in the building that the Fire Chief's office is in that there are no firearms allowed in the building. That and I guess as long as you are complying with laws regarding the storage of firearms you'd be ok but in this case he knew he was wrong.

    BTW he wasn't arrested he was placed on leave KIX there has been no indication that he will be arrested.

    The rumor however is that he was holding NRA pistol safety classes in the building against city policies.
    I refuse to make a villain out of someone who is the victim of a crime.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Shelton
    Posts
    138
    I see your point. it is crappy that his property was stolen. The thought that someone is running around with your guns doing god knows what is a horrible enough feeling.

    Unfortunately he is going to be crucified for having them in his office where they weren't supposed to be which is going to be a double whammy for him.

    I'm not making a villain out of him I'm just stating the fact that he should have known better.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    His only real mistake was not properly securing the firearms. Regardless of where you keep your guns they need to be in a safe or somewhere else secure if not on your person or under your immediate control. While I disagree with it, he very well may lose his job.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  9. #9
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    His only real mistake was not properly securing the firearms. Regardless of where you keep your guns they need to be in a safe or somewhere else secure if not on your person or under your immediate control. While I disagree with it, he very well may lose his job.
    Since we don't know the particulars, there is no point in judging this guy.

    Safes don't mean that someone couldn't still get in. For all we know there could have been safes involved.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Since we don't know the particulars, there is no point in judging this guy.

    Safes don't mean that someone couldn't still get in. For all we know there could have been safes involved.
    The article very clearly says twice that the door was forced open. I am taking this to mean that everything was secured simply by that door. If I am wrong, I will retract my statement, but I fairly sure I was correct in what I said. I already said I don't think he should lose his job. Not passing judgement, but I am stating the obvious when it comes to securing firearms.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    29
    I hate to judge the guy either, and it sucks his property was stolen, and it sucks he's going to lose his job.
    But it's a fact the building his office is in is posted no firearms. And it's a fact he was using his office to teach pistol classes. It was even posted on his website that the classes were held in the Fire Chief's office with directions there, though since this happened he's taken his website down. Pretty much every town has rules about use of town property, and using town property for personal financial gain is not something generally allowed. As the Chief, I'm sure he knew the rules. He ignored them instead of working to change them, and sadly now he's going to pay for that.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    This is great to see. It takes a lot of guts for the Mayor to do that. The rules are the rules, if you don't like them, work to change them.

    Firemen, particularly since 9/11, tend to see themselves as a bit above the law, just like cops.
    This smackdown will serve two purposes:

    1) put the fire chief in his place
    2) serve to illustrate how stupid it is to have a no weapons policy.

    Don

  13. #13
    Regular Member Ctclassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Plainfield, CT, ,
    Posts
    172
    I'll throw my .02 in....I have a problem with what the Mayor had said to a reporter, talking about the guns being stolen (paraprasing), "....my first concern is for the safety of the citizens of Ansonia". Well, what about the safety of his employees, after all the chief must have had some reason to have said firearms there in the first place. Think about it, his place was broken into. Could be he had a reason to believe someone was after him. I know it's all speculative.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    Based on what I've read, he ran pistol permit classes out of the firehouse. Your tax dollars at work.

  15. #15
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mitola View Post
    BTW he wasn't arrested he was placed on leave KIX there has been no indication that he will be arrested.
    I stand corrected. I know what I said was wrong on the arrest. I heard arrest in the lead in to the piece on TV before a commercial break. They didn't say it on the actual article, but it stuck in my head after hearing it and.... well.... you know....

    But if it was clearly posted, he goofed and should work to change it. We have to follow these idiotic rules as well, so......

    Sucks that his stuff was stolen though.

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •