Thread: Remove 10/22 front sight?

Remove 10/22 front sight?

I need help getting the damn front sight off my Ruger 10/22 so I can install the barrel shroud that'll come with my Archangel Marauder kit... but I CAN'T GET THE FRICKIN' THING OFF!!

using a punch and a hammer DID NOT WORK, and believe me, I went to TOWN on the damn thing... didn't even budge. just chewed up the sight really bad. (I don't want the sight itself, as the Marauder stock will have its own sights, plus I'm probably gonna get a red dot... it's basically a G36 mod.) Tried lubing it and letting it sit overnight... nothing. I'm about ready to just chop the freaking barrel down. tried heating the barrel... nothing. I've gotten to the point of FILING the ******* thing, but that's not really getting me anywhere. HELP PLEASE!?
    Last edited by ColeMD17; 08-10-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    "Molon Labe."

"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

had the same problem with the rear sight, as it's gonna probably be too obtrusive for the kit, even in the folded position. ended up breaking off the folding part and filing down the base of it til it barely protrudes off the barrel. hopefully that'll make it low enough.
    "Molon Labe."

"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    If you don't want the sight you could always just saw straight down through it. That should loosen it up before you get all the way through to the dovetail in the barrel.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Have you tried to contact Ruger at all? Perhaps they can give you a tip for getting the sight off without further damage. As others have said, you could grind or saw it off. Would that affect your Ruger warranty? (if you care about warranties, some guys don't)
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

yeah, I'll probably go with just grinding it off. And no, I don't care too much about warranties. it's just a $200 plinker, and I've probably voided it already, haha

The muzzle and crown are okay, but there are some definite superficial scratches on the end. Gonna be covered up by the barrel shroud, so I don't really care. Besides, I will eventually chop it down to no more than 16" (Don't know if I wanna register and pay a tax stamp for that yet.) and thread it for a suppressor. (I WILL go ahead and drop the money for a tax stamp on that )
    Last edited by ColeMD17; 08-10-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    "Molon Labe."

Update: I ended up taking an electric grinder and basically sawing down through the sight into its male part of the dovetail, until I ALMOST reached the barrel. Then took a pair of channel locks and pinched the two sides together, breaking it, then punched out the broken pieces.

Sometimes, that's just how you gotta roll.
    "Molon Labe."