Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: .32 Rimfire Ammunition??

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    .32 Rimfire Ammunition??

    I have an old H&R Bulldog revolver chambered in .32 Rimfire. It functions very well mechanically so I would love to fire it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any ammunition for it. Does anyone know of a reliable source or any places I could check? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) but it would be fun to shoot. Thanks.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    Found this...http://www.rtgammo.com/obsolamm.html Be prepaired for sticker shock!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    Found this...http://www.rtgammo.com/obsolamm.html Be prepaired for sticker shock!
    Thanks, I was expecting a ridiculous price. Anybody else find anything?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Box of 50 .32 RF for $99 Old Western Scrounger

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Thanks, I was expecting a ridiculous price. Anybody else find anything?
    Old Western Scrounger has a fair ammount of rare ammo. This in newly manufactured stuff, but it costs $2 a round!



    http://ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=219

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    You might be able to make a few rounds using .22 blanks for primers

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Thanks, I was expecting a ridiculous price. Anybody else find anything?

    You would have to make up special cases to allow the firing pin to strike the rim of the .22 case. I have thought of the possiblity, and it would give you some reloadable cases.

    Of course, for all the trouble, you could buy a nice centerfire .32 revolver and ammo.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Thanks for the responses, guys, I really appreciate the help. I just want to shoot it a couple times for the historical value. I don't mind paying for the opportunity, not planning on shooting often.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first, just to be sure. Old guns that you don't have full history on can be problematic--and revolvers have to have cylinder to forcing cone alignment or you could get a face full of powder or lead. Wear tends to push this alignment off. Nice collector piece to have.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first, just to be sure. Old guns that you don't have full history on can be problematic--and revolvers have to have cylinder to forcing cone alignment or you could get a face full of powder or lead. Wear tends to push this alignment off. Nice collector piece to have.
    Thanks for the tip. I was planning on having this done. Wanted to make sure the ammunition was even obtainable before taking that step. I paid $35.00 for it. Either way, like you said, a nice collector piece. :-)
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    184
    You also might try checking prices for custom made ammo from different gunsmiths. I know you can contact Cor-Don ammo and they can custom make ammo for any gun, also Red Jacket might be willing to make some for a price. Just a suggestion and u might even have shops locally with the ability to make custom ammo.


    and if u shoot me a pm I can provide the contact info for both Cor-Don and Red Jacket.
    Last edited by Marc; 08-16-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: additional info

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You also might try checking prices for custom made ammo from different gunsmiths. I know you can contact Cor-Don ammo and they can custom make ammo for any gun, also Red Jacket might be willing to make some for a price. Just a suggestion and u might even have shops locally with the ability to make custom ammo.


    and if u shoot me a pm I can provide the contact info for both Cor-Don and Red Jacket.
    Presume you mean Corbon/Cor-Bon ammunition.
    http://www.corbon.com/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Presume you mean Corbon/Cor-Bon ammunition.
    http://www.corbon.com/
    Yep my bad didnt mean for the typo, thanks for the correction. Its late and im tired but cant sleep.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Topeka
    Posts
    1

    .32 rimfire ammo

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I have an old H&R Bulldog revolver chambered in .32 Rimfire. It functions very well mechanically so I would love to fire it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any ammunition for it. Does anyone know of a reliable source or any places I could check? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) but it would be fun to shoot. Thanks.
    I always get mine at Cabela's. Yesterday they had 4 different types. Two of them were .32 Magnum, not sure if the H&R will fire those or not.

    Mastersgt

  13. #13
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I have an old H&R Bulldog revolver chambered in .32 Rimfire. It functions very well mechanically so I would love to fire it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any ammunition for it. Does anyone know of a reliable source or any places I could check? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) but it would be fun to shoot. Thanks.
    Do you know more about your revolver? I recently picked one up, also in .32 cal. Haven't fired it yet. It came with ammunition that was center fire. Are they all center fire or rim fire?

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I have an old H&R Bulldog revolver chambered in .32 Rimfire. It functions very well mechanically so I would love to fire it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any ammunition for it. Does anyone know of a reliable source or any places I could check? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) but it would be fun to shoot. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastersgt View Post
    I always get mine at Cabela's. Yesterday they had 4 different types. Two of them were .32 Magnum, not sure if the H&R will fire those or not.

    Mastersgt
    .32 rim fire hasn't been made in a loong time and no .32 mag will not work.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_rimfire

    .32 magnum is a center fire round. Info fro 2005 shows which of these will interchange.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/19...-32-s-w-l.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Very old guns are a part of history. By attempting to shoot the gun you are chancing damaging history and yourself. I like shooting old guns also, but within reason. IMO you should put it up and save it for your heirs. If you wish to shoot a 32, there are still some 32-20 out there for a reasonable price. I paid $150 for mine, it was a old colt police positive. It is safe to shoot with loads below 16,000 cup. Do a little reloading and ammo is cheap.

    The other option to shoot a piece of history safely is black powder revolvers. Even the old originals, if you can find one, are safe with BP. New ones are made with modern steel, and can be shot with smokeless using cartridge conversions.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Do you know more about your revolver? I recently picked one up, also in .32 cal. Haven't fired it yet. It came with ammunition that was center fire. Are they all center fire or rim fire?
    No they are not the same, rimfires are very old, and a working rimfire would be rare and I would think worth some money. 32 caliber centerfire revolvers were very common and popular in the late 19th, and early 20th century.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    No they are not the same, rimfires are very old, and a working rimfire would be rare and I would think worth some money. 32 caliber centerfire revolvers were very common and popular in the late 19th, and early 20th century.
    I would put the gun into a cabinet for show ... $2/rd is expensive? Think about a trip to the ER ...

    If insistent about shooting .. use a lanyard and vise for a few test rds and stand well back.

    Be neat it if worked well.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    No they are not the same, rimfires are very old, and a working rimfire would be rare and I would think worth some money. 32 caliber centerfire revolvers were very common and popular in the late 19th, and early 20th century.
    Thanks for the info. I do have a centerfire one from the late 19th. It's actually in great shape, haven't decided if I want to shoot it. Right now it's just a show piece/ training gun.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Y'all might want to bookmark this

    SAMMI data on what ammo is/is not compatable. http://www.saami.org/specifications_...mbinations.pdf

    A must read. Do not think about trying something in your firearm just because the numbers seem to be the same.

    ETA - SAMMI says .32Short & .32Long should not be used in a firearm marked .32S&W.

    stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 11-13-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •