• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this gun legal?

tedwitt

If anyone knows of a website where we can check the numbers on a weapon to see if it's on the hot sheet or not, please let me know.

For instance, I'm at a gun show and an individual has a weapon for sale, I would like to check the numbers, I want a clean weapon.

Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why the paranoia? The odds of finding Sumdood renting a table at a gun show to move his hot guns are pretty small. And if you confine you purchases from private sellers (are you even allowed to do that in Taxas?) to locations that generally do not involve open trunk lids* you should be OK.

stay safe.

*There was this time I sold multiple guns to a friend and we exchanged cash with all the cases piled on the tailgate. Took place in public in a parking lot of the place we had met for breakfast before the sale was completed. With cops standing around watching us. And nobody fainted, nobody drew down on anybody else, and nobody got arrested. And yes, I've got witnesses (they all wanted to fingerfiddle the goodies).

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
What skid and navy said. I have bought several used guns over the internet through Gunbroker. Several have come from pawn shops. Nobody has been banging on my door demanding to see my guns. I think your chances of buying a stolen gun are slim. Even slimmer if the gun has serial numbers on it. Don't a lot of criminals grind them off?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't think criminals are stealing guns in order to sell them to honest citizens. If they don't keep the gun for their own criminal activities, I'll bet they have a better market in selling guns to other criminals who themselves are unable to buy.

There may be a stolen gun here or there on legitimate channels, but I'm betting they're pretty rare.

Anybody got stats or studies on this?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Anybody got stats or studies on this?

I could post some Brady Campaign "stats and studies" about evil gun show loopholes and the enormous amount of illegal guns sold at gun shows.....somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for. :)

CommonMan101

Yes we can do private sales here in TX. That is the "gun show loophole" to anti-gunners. This is the big deception they do in calling it a "gun show loophole". Sneaky bastards! What they are trying to "close" is unregulated private sales. @%$#*&!!

Fact is you don't need to be anywhere in particular to trade guns here but you are more likely to find a buyer if you go to a gun show.

What the OP asks for is a legit concern around here. If you don't know the seller you will lose your gun if you check with the police to see if it's hot afterwards and find out it is - you better have that guys name and info at that point. But the gun is gone if it's hot. You're out the money too.

Plenty of hot guns that haven't had their numbers filed so I wouldn't use that as a determiner.

Anything bought over the net and shipped to you through ffls is going to be clean or at least traceble to who had it before you and you have a documented record of how it came to be in your possession which covers your *ss.

I do remember seeing a site one time you could check serial numbers of reported stolen arms but it was not anything official or complete.

If we are going to be held liable there should be a clearinghouse for stolen gun numbers. We have no tool for this problem yet.

Last edited:

Clu

A check with your local law enforcment office may give you the information you're looking for. For instance, if the firearm you're inquiring about has been reported stolen, or how to obtain more information on determining the status of your firearm.

You might even be able to request a trace from the ATF directly using the form below, but if you have serious doubts about your firearms status, you may want to have your local law enforcement submit it on your behalf.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3312-1.pdf

Clu

Ah, well then it looks like contacting your local law enforcement agency is your only option.