• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joined the Citizen's Academy!

GuidoZ

Went through something very similar held by a local city police. Very good experience, not to mention fun. Got me interested in digital forensics all over again, which I'm currently pursuing. (Did it a lot about a decade ago. So much has changed!)

--
Peace. ~G

Badger Johnson

Sounds like an excellent idea and something I'd do if it were offered here.

Bear in mind those who decry bad actions of some LEOs are NOT against law and order. Quite the contrary. Applied correctly and legally and not treating citizens like predators, it's a good thing.

Thanks for the report.

M-Taliesin

Sounds like an excellent idea and something I'd do if it were offered here.

Bear in mind those who decry bad actions of some LEOs are NOT against law and order. Quite the contrary. Applied correctly and legally and not treating citizens like predators, it's a good thing.

Thanks for the report.

Howdy Badger!
I think I've learned a great deal in taking Citizen's Academy from the Sheriff's Office. The city also has Citizens Academy, in both Denver and Aurora. I'm pretty sure other jurisdictions in the area also have something similar.

Since joining the Citizen's Academy, we've gone on a crime scene investigation, watched a police K-9 unit demonstration (oh, how I wanted to get into the bite suit and experience what its like to have one of those dogs come at ya...), learned about traffic stops and the motorcycle cops, got a class with Search and Rescue replete with demonstrations of gear they have to find lost folks, got a demonstration of bloodhounds and their ability to track down an individual by our explorer post, and will soon be visiting the county detention center. I'm really looking forward to our coming opportunity to drive a "skid car", and a visit with SWAT and Bomb Squad. Still on deck is a class with Riot Squad too. Lots of great stuff, and much of it "hands on" style learning experience. We also did a simulation of building search following a tornado, and search for survivors with Search and Rescue. Much of our class is lecture, but the hands on stuff is really terrific.

You might try your local sheriff's office, or local police department, to see if they have a citizen's academy class they offer. If you can find one, it is an excellent experience and one I'm really enjoying myself. Do I agree with everything I've heard in class? Heck no! But most of it is a real insight into our sheriff's department and their operations.

Skidmark mentioned COPS in another thread. We had a detective who spoke to our class, and he says that within about 15 minutes of watching that show, he'll see a dozen violations of both citizen's rights and police procedure. That goes double for most cop shows that air on televion. I was impressed that he'd be so forthright about that particular observation, but then again, he's been a detective for like 36 years! I figure he can spot violations about as well as anybody.

I am both impressed with the things we are learning, and proud of our local sheriff's department for giving an average citizen this opportunity. We have a terrific sheriff, and his department is recognized across the nation as a great LEA. I've really come to appreciate their dedication and service to our community in a new and unique way.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran

Excellent point, and one of the principle reasons as to why the Constitutional Amendment protecting free speech is at the top. When citizens can speak up and out about what's wrong, it's the final check on government. Well, that and voting a bum out of office.

...oh, how I wanted to get into the bite suit and experience what its like to have one of those dogs come at ya...

Me, too! I'll bet it's with a good deal more force than I imagine.

Skidmark mentioned COPS in another thread. We had a detective who spoke to our class, and he says that within about 15 minutes of watching that show, he'll see a dozen violations of both citizen's rights and police procedure. That goes double for most cop shows that air on televion. I was impressed that he'd be so forthright about that particular observation, but then again, he's been a detective for like 36 years! I figure he can spot violations about as well as anybody.

I'd think a good PD would hold competitions to see who can spot the most TV faux pas. Winner each week gets his bar/meal tab paid for by the others.

Last edited: