• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My student just submitted her app for a PP to Windsor, without references.

KIX

Please let me know.

I set up forums on www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - not to be a discussion board per se, but as a vehicle to allow the public to document their issues.

Direct link to the forum is: http://ctpistolpermitissues.com/phpbb/index.php

If a town doesn't give a hassle to people not submitting this information, I'd like to honestly reflect that in the data I'm collecting on all our little "fiefdoms".

Jonathan

dcmdon

Apparently thing have not changed much since bucketdude got his pistol permit.

My student got a call about a week ago re her temporary permit. It was about 2 weeks.

But wait, there is more reasonableness.
I forgot to put the student's name in my signed NRA cert that she had completed training.

So I got a call from Windsor PD Captain Tom Lepore. He asked me to confirm that she did complete my course. I told him that she had passed. He asked me to mail him a copy. I instead suggested that I email him something that would serve as a certificate. He thought that was great and was happy to receive my email in lieu of a signed certificate. He had already cross referenced my email address with that given on nrainstructors.org.

So in the end, the process was cordial, quick and efficient. I thanked Captain LePore for his professionalism. Appended below is a copy of the email I sent in case any other instructors run into the same thing.

Don

Dear Officer Lepore,

Please accept this email as certification that V***** ******e of ****Street, Windsor, CT , did successfully complete my NRA Basic
Pistol Shooting Course and met the standards required by the CGS and
DPS to apply for a temporary permit to carry pistols and revolvers.

As a certified NRA Instructor, number 158.314.789, this email should
satisfy the statutory requirements for training. Since the statute
(529.28b) is silent on what the Applicant needs to use to show
training.

Thank you again for your professionalism in this matter. If you have
any further questions regarding Ms. ******* or any future student of
mine please do not hesitate to ask.
Best regards,

Donald ****
MCS Precision
*****, CT
860-304-*****

NRA 158.***.***
FFL 4H-0****

Last edited:

brk913

If only all locals were as easy as Windsor there would be no issues with the permit process. They should be commended for the way they treat applicants and expedite the permit process. Now in comparison, I had a student from Southington, they held him up 18 weeks complaining of a delay in receiving background checks back, seems to be a blatant lie if Windsor can get them within 2 weeks!!!!

dcmdon

I actually think windsor got the check back in a couple of days. I can't remember specifics but I remember that he didn't want to submit the check until he was sure the app was complete. I believe she wrote back to me she had received a call telling her it was ready within 2 or 3 days of my email to Captain Lepore.

The following is pure speculation: I wonder if the ability of PDs to electronically transmit fingerprints speeds things up. My town (via a resident troopers office and a constabulary) still does paper fingerprints only.
I know some towns have electronic machines that allow them to submit the prints directly to the feds.

Don

KIX

If only all locals were as easy as Windsor there would be no issues with the permit process. They should be commended for the way they treat applicants and expedite the permit process. Now in comparison, I had a student from Southington, they held him up 18 weeks complaining of a delay in receiving background checks back, seems to be a blatant lie if Windsor can get them within 2 weeks!!!!

Sadly, it usualy is a lie. The student can file the appeal after 8 weeks. Often, when the local PD receives appeal paperwork from the board, miraculously, the federal background checks seem to speed up!

Jonathan