• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SHTF Alertness Level

mahkagari

Saw this as a rational plan to figure out just how much SHTF is imminent.

SHTF 5: Normal preparedness. Attentive watchfulness but no immediate expectation of problems. Preparation activities include normal training plans and building of stockpiles as appropriate. Normal levels of crime.

SHTF 4: Increased preparedness. Real possibility of SHTF in the near future (say 2-3 weeks). Active stockpiling of consumables (water, food, medicine). Increased preparations, such as one last trip to the firing range. Sporadic shortages of staples. Elevated crime, requiring active precautions (e.g. travel in pairs, be home by nightfall, etc.).

SHTF 3: Disaster likely. Hurricane watch. Possibly of SHTF in next 2-3 days. Preparations are over at this phase; now it’s time to act. Preppers weighing options to bug out or shelter in place (SIP). Bug out vehicles prepped, loaded, and ready. Frequent shortages of staples. Some rioting in other areas, but not nearby.

SHTF 2: An immediate expectation of disaster. Hurricane warning. Very high probability of bug-out or SIP in next 24 hours. Last-minute supply gathering only. Early preparations for disaster taking place (e.g. boarding of windows). Lawlessness in some areas. Rioting in nearby areas.

SHTF 1: Disaster. You have bugged out or SIP’d. Full security measures in place. No expectation of resupply or rescue. Complete breakdown of law and order. Widespread rioting and lawlessness.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
I think you missed a step. The one where you grab some TP and start cleaing up the mess!
That would be post-SHTF.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
While helping me pack for my recent move, my folks remarked I had accumulated a lot of canned goods. I noted their cupboards were three times the size of mine, so the two of them had at least twice as much as I did, but it probably looked like less...

I have a go bag with enough food to last two weeks, and enough food in my apartment to last a month. I also have containers which I can fill with a total of more than 50 gal of water, which is enough to last two months. If things look like they're really hitting the fan, I know precisely what to buy from the store that'll increase that to a 6 month supply, and I can be at the checkout counters just 15 minutes from now.

SIP is my preference, although I've no problems bugging out to one of several friends/family's homes in the area, if not a more rural area (half-way to Kansas) if that would increase the liklihood of our mutual survival. I figure even in the dead of winter I can survive for six months in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't really have a SHTF plan for rioting and all that.... just guns...

since9

Campaign Veteran
I don't really have a SHTF plan for rioting and all that.... just guns...

Here's a simple 6th-column recipe:

1. DEFENSE: Several guns, lots of ammo, lots of practice. Knife or two.

2. WATER: Potable water for a week, purification for a month, ability to create fire and boil water forever.

3. FOOD: Non-perishable food for a month.

4. SHELTER: Portable shelter for all weather (includes clothes and tent).

5. TOOLS: Basic tools for building/repairing things.

6. KNOWLEDGE: Survival skills - as much as you can learn, practice, and retain.

I'd try to come up with some sort of mnemonic, but I'm tired and can't remember any good ones...