Thread: Mayor Of Olivette's Response About Open Carry Ban

Mayor Of Olivette's Response About Open Carry Ban

Mr. Wayant,

Thank you for your concerns and comments. However, I am NOT in agreement with your assertions; nor are my fellow Council Members or our citizens.

We are NOT infringing on second amendment rights with the passage of this ordinance. We ARE answering the cries of our citizens who are overwhelmingly apposed to allowed openly carrying weapons in our community.

It is in keeping with the democratic practiced that we legislate to the will of the people we serve. And that is what we will do. We do not take matters lightly in arriving at decisions. Olivette is NOT interested in returning to the days when everyone walks our streets armed. It is not in keep with our population and/or principles.

Nor do we see or experience crime at every turn. We have hired and have faith in our very professional police force. As professionals, our police have served us well. And we expect that to continue.

I make these comments as a law abiding citizen; as a public official; and as a gun owner. I might add that I have family members that have Conceal & Carry permits.

For our community, there's just no reason for people to exercise such behavior in our community. Nor does the data support an argument that open carry deters crime.

I appreciate you taking an interest in Olivette's position on this matter. Regardless of other communities, the legislation submitted reflects the desire and direction of Olivette. We're just not on that bandwagon.

Respectfully,

Jean Antoine, Mayor
    The City of Olivette

Quote Originally Posted by xdmcompact View Post
    Mr. Wayant,

Thank you for your concerns and comments. However, I am NOT in agreement with your assertions; nor are my fellow Council Members or our citizens.

We are NOT infringing on second amendment rights with the passage of this ordinance. We ARE answering the cries of our citizens who are overwhelmingly apposed to allowed openly carrying weapons in our community.

It is in keeping with the democratic practiced that we legislate to the will of the people we serve. And that is what we will do. We do not take matters lightly in arriving at decisions. Olivette is NOT interested in returning to the days when everyone walks our streets armed. It is not in keep with our population and/or principles.

Nor do we see or experience crime at every turn. We have hired and have faith in our very professional police force. As professionals, our police have served us well. And we expect that to continue.

I make these comments as a law abiding citizen; as a public official; and as a gun owner. I might add that I have family members that have Conceal & Carry permits.

For our community, there's just no reason for people to exercise such behavior in our community. Nor does the data support an argument that open carry deters crime.

I appreciate you taking an interest in Olivette's position on this matter. Regardless of other communities, the legislation submitted reflects the desire and direction of Olivette. We're just not on that bandwagon.

Respectfully,

Jean Antoine, Mayor
    The City of Olivette
    THIS JUST IN>>>>>>>>>>Mayer Jean Antoine "Gives you a 100% guarentee nothing will happen to you or your family in Olivette, that crime has been irraticated from the town"........More news a 10:00 o'clock.........

I love her sarcastic remark about "We're just not on the bandwagon" at the end of her statement.

I wonder if she will fight a lawsuit if someone files after getting raped, mugged, and beaten.....bet she will say its not her fault or responsablilty...

It would be funny to see the story about someone breaking into her house, her calling 911, and the cops saying we will be there in 15 minutes...hang tight.

Data does prove that people that are openly armed are less likely to be mugged, killed, raped. Criminals have even told me that they go after soft marks and avoid people with guns as they are not stupid....I also find this amusing.

These are the sort of findings we need to take to the city hall for the meeting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmcompact View Post
    We are NOT infringing on second amendment rights with the passage of this ordinance.
    Yes you are.

OC Ban

Here is the lattest from stltoday.com

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...9bb30f31a.html
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    if i were you guys. i would file a very LARGE lawsuit against the city council , and the mayor herself. ntm file a criminal complaint against the council for violation of your constitutional rights. see how tough she acts infront of a federal court judge and see if her cocky tone rings loud and clear in his chambers too ;-) then file a motion to impeach said elected official and call for a replacement
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    if i were you guys. i would file a very LARGE lawsuit against the city council

Nothing is outside the box sir, and such things are best not discussed when planned.

One must also remember, when dealing with the chronically stupid, you must remain resolved to continue the fight.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Activist Member
    That response letter was very unprofessional I must say. The fact she was throwing her opinions "Cry of the people", I bet she's bluffing about being a gun owner herself. The fact she stated some of her family members have CCL permits also makes me think she is just a anti-firearm at heart. If she's not a firearm hater I bet all she's done is shoot a few shotguns and not even hit a target.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    if i were you guys. i would file a very LARGE lawsuit against the city council , and the mayor herself. ntm file a criminal complaint against the council for violation of your constitutional rights. see how tough she acts infront of a federal court judge and see if her cocky tone rings loud and clear in his chambers too ;-) then file a motion to impeach said elected official and call for a replacement
    If you have the bucks, feel free..... maybe $50,000 to start!
    I'll wish you success!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Mayor Jean Antoine of Olivette not a she.
    Tried to post a pic but it did not show up.
    Last edited by xdmcompact; 08-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Accomplished Advocate
    LMGDAO

whoooops

I guess madam Mayor on my letter ain't gonna sell too well then.

LOL
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

I have read the letter several times.

It looks like the Mayor needs to take a English and writing course.

Jim
    TX CCL

State preemption .. you needs it!
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
    It looks like the Mayor needs to take a English and writing course.

Jim
    TX CCL
    You did that on purpose, I hope... lol
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

well i dont like tomatoes. so lets ban them all.

stupid.

apparently article 1 section 23 is not clear enough to some people. state preemption for oc i can only hope will pass one day.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

i thought this statement by the mayor was telling " several citizens were alarmed and frightened .....when several citizens chose to enter(PB..you mean they weren't already there?)the city with their weapons exposed". that seems to tell how the mayor thinks
    i noticed they are going to have another hearing on Sept. 13, they are probably hoping that you will forget about it by then. and i am willing to bet if you do pack the meeting then it will have to be continued at a further date. so please try to get as many supporters as you can to show up.
    i would like to ask the mayor why he would like to return to the days of not respecting constitutional rights and liberties
    Last edited by papa bear; 08-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    LMGDAO

whoooops

I guess madam Mayor on my letter ain't gonna sell too well then.

LOL
    If the name fits lmao. Sorry had to do it.

If a few citizens were alarmed as he states. Why did the police not show up and why has it taken so long for them to act? Just doesn't add up,but that is just how I see it.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

I think this says it all

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    Call Terminix Olivette City Hall is full of cockroaches.

XDM,

Send that tard of a public official a response including these facts:

The law that allows for the regulation of open carry in Missouri was enacted in 1984.
    In 1984, concealed carry was still unConstitutional by Missouri's State Constitution.
    Concealed carry was not enacted for almost 20 years after that 1984 law.
    That makes that 1984 law a clear 2nd Amendment violation.
    The rights of the people they represent are only rights until they infringe upon the rights of others.
    The 2nd Amendment DOES NOT infringe upon any other person's rights when exercised.
    A right not exercised is a right swiftly taken away by the government, their decision clearly illustrates that.
    The rights you take away within the confines of your municipality have an effect upon EVERY individual person within the State of Missouri should they need to or find themselves passing through your municipality.
    Your LEOs carry openly every day, disarm them or force them to abide by the same rules you're applying to the citizenry.