• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mayor Of Olivette's Response About Open Carry Ban

xdmcompact

Mr. Wayant,

Thank you for your concerns and comments. However, I am NOT in agreement with your assertions; nor are my fellow Council Members or our citizens.

We are NOT infringing on second amendment rights with the passage of this ordinance. We ARE answering the cries of our citizens who are overwhelmingly apposed to allowed openly carrying weapons in our community.

It is in keeping with the democratic practiced that we legislate to the will of the people we serve. And that is what we will do. We do not take matters lightly in arriving at decisions. Olivette is NOT interested in returning to the days when everyone walks our streets armed. It is not in keep with our population and/or principles.

Nor do we see or experience crime at every turn. We have hired and have faith in our very professional police force. As professionals, our police have served us well. And we expect that to continue.

I make these comments as a law abiding citizen; as a public official; and as a gun owner. I might add that I have family members that have Conceal & Carry permits.

For our community, there's just no reason for people to exercise such behavior in our community. Nor does the data support an argument that open carry deters crime.

I appreciate you taking an interest in Olivette's position on this matter. Regardless of other communities, the legislation submitted reflects the desire and direction of Olivette. We're just not on that bandwagon.

Respectfully,

Jean Antoine, Mayor
The City of Olivette

DocWalker

Mr. Wayant,

Thank you for your concerns and comments. However, I am NOT in agreement with your assertions; nor are my fellow Council Members or our citizens.

We are NOT infringing on second amendment rights with the passage of this ordinance. We ARE answering the cries of our citizens who are overwhelmingly apposed to allowed openly carrying weapons in our community.

It is in keeping with the democratic practiced that we legislate to the will of the people we serve. And that is what we will do. We do not take matters lightly in arriving at decisions. Olivette is NOT interested in returning to the days when everyone walks our streets armed. It is not in keep with our population and/or principles.

Nor do we see or experience crime at every turn. We have hired and have faith in our very professional police force. As professionals, our police have served us well. And we expect that to continue.

I make these comments as a law abiding citizen; as a public official; and as a gun owner. I might add that I have family members that have Conceal & Carry permits.

For our community, there's just no reason for people to exercise such behavior in our community. Nor does the data support an argument that open carry deters crime.

I appreciate you taking an interest in Olivette's position on this matter. Regardless of other communities, the legislation submitted reflects the desire and direction of Olivette. We're just not on that bandwagon.

Respectfully,

Jean Antoine, Mayor
The City of Olivette

THIS JUST IN>>>>>>>>>>Mayer Jean Antoine "Gives you a 100% guarentee nothing will happen to you or your family in Olivette, that crime has been irraticated from the town"........More news a 10:00 o'clock.........

I love her sarcastic remark about "We're just not on the bandwagon" at the end of her statement.

I wonder if she will fight a lawsuit if someone files after getting raped, mugged, and beaten.....bet she will say its not her fault or responsablilty...

It would be funny to see the story about someone breaking into her house, her calling 911, and the cops saying we will be there in 15 minutes...hang tight.

Data does prove that people that are openly armed are less likely to be mugged, killed, raped. Criminals have even told me that they go after soft marks and avoid people with guns as they are not stupid....I also find this amusing.

carry for myself

if i were you guys. i would file a very LARGE lawsuit against the city council , and the mayor herself. ntm file a criminal complaint against the council for violation of your constitutional rights. see how tough she acts infront of a federal court judge and see if her cocky tone rings loud and clear in his chambers too ;-) then file a motion to impeach said elected official and call for a replacement

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
if i were you guys. i would file a very LARGE lawsuit against the city council

Nothing is outside the box sir, and such things are best not discussed when planned.

One must also remember, when dealing with the chronically stupid, you must remain resolved to continue the fight.

DWCook

Activist Member
That response letter was very unprofessional I must say. The fact she was throwing her opinions "Cry of the people", I bet she's bluffing about being a gun owner herself. The fact she stated some of her family members have CCL permits also makes me think she is just a anti-firearm at heart. If she's not a firearm hater I bet all she's done is shoot a few shotguns and not even hit a target.

mspgunner

if i were you guys. i would file a very LARGE lawsuit against the city council , and the mayor herself. ntm file a criminal complaint against the council for violation of your constitutional rights. see how tough she acts infront of a federal court judge and see if her cocky tone rings loud and clear in his chambers too ;-) then file a motion to impeach said elected official and call for a replacement

If you have the bucks, feel free..... maybe $50,000 to start!
I'll wish you success!

xdmcompact

8BWB9qEECeKZ8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Mayor Jean Antoine of Olivette not a she.
Tried to post a pic but it did not show up.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
LMGDAO

whoooops

I guess madam Mayor on my letter ain't gonna sell too well then.

LOL

kylemoul

well i dont like tomatoes. so lets ban them all.

stupid.

apparently article 1 section 23 is not clear enough to some people. state preemption for oc i can only hope will pass one day.

papa bear

i thought this statement by the mayor was telling " several citizens were alarmed and frightened .....when several citizens chose to enter(PB..you mean they weren't already there?)the city with their weapons exposed". that seems to tell how the mayor thinks
i noticed they are going to have another hearing on Sept. 13, they are probably hoping that you will forget about it by then. and i am willing to bet if you do pack the meeting then it will have to be continued at a further date. so please try to get as many supporters as you can to show up.
i would like to ask the mayor why he would like to return to the days of not respecting constitutional rights and liberties

Last edited:

Tony4310

If a few citizens were alarmed as he states. Why did the police not show up and why has it taken so long for them to act? Just doesn't add up,but that is just how I see it.