Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *how* to open carry

*how* to open carry

I read through all of the stickys, and couldn't find it, but I thought there was a step by step guide somewhere on HOW to open carry. Something to do with getting out of your car, removing the gun case from the car completely, taking out the gun, etc. I think there were some nuances in how exactly to get the gun from the car into your holster, and vice versa when you get ready to leave?

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    all of these depending on state law and the state you live in can be tricky. i cant find this thread either but i know that here in maine, a few people have been charged with concealing for loading while in the car, while a few officers have taken a crack at "brandishing" for loading, chambering and holstering outside of a vehicle. what i would advise is to contact a gun-friendly lawyer in your given state, and ask him what the best way to do it pertaining to your local and state laws would be. :-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    all of these depending on state law and the state you live in can be tricky. i cant find this thread either but i know that here in maine, a few people have been charged with concealing for loading while in the car, while a few officers have taken a crack at "brandishing" for loading, chambering and holstering outside of a vehicle. what i would advise is to contact a gun-friendly lawyer in your given state, and ask him what the best way to do it pertaining to your local and state laws would be. :-)
    Well, since this is the Wisconsin subforum...

You can have your unloaded handgun in its case on your seat, or if you want to go an extra step, your trunk. Step out of the vehicle, grab your case, put the case on the ground, load up, then place handgun in its holster. If you want someone to carry with, check out this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer
    Last edited by protias; 08-11-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Well, since this is the Wisconsin subforum...

You can have your unloaded handgun in its case on your seat, or if you want to go an extra step, your trunk. Step out of the vehicle, grab your case, put it on the ground, trunk, roof, etc, load up, then place handgun in its holster. If you want someone to carry with, check out this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer
    Not until 11/1. Today, not in or ON the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Not until 11/1. Today, not in or ON the vehicle.
    That's right. Correction made.../sigh

I am not with it anymore. My memory is going...
    Last edited by protias; 08-11-2011 at 10:05 PM.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

In the New to OC in WI thread HERE or listed in my Signature, scroll down the FAQ and a description is listed there.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Welcome aboard.

Here's the info from the link/thread he mentions above:
    How to load\unload in parking lot:
    Exit vehicle, activate recorder, remove encased firearm from vehicle, remove firearm from case and load, place firearm in holster, replace case into vehicle (without firearm entering vehicle). Upon returning to vehicle - remove empty case from vehicle (without firearm entering vehicle), unload firearm, place unloaded firearm in case with mags etc., place encased unloaded firearm in vehicle.
    Can't wait to get that updated.

And here's another thread newcomers should browse, with educational videos:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...LEO-Encounters

Expecially watch the first 2, titled "don't talk to cops".
    They're long, & the first one (by a lawyer) is done at about warp 3.
    Spend the time. Very valuable information.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 08-12-2011 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

McX
    if anyone could find them, the links to the legendary Doug videos might help.

All good information...

As far as what I do.... well, er, uhm.... on second thought...nevermind....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

As far as 167.31 compliance, this is what I used to do.

Turn on audio recorder.
    Visual check area around my vehicle.
    Open the door and step out.
    Grab my gun rug off the dash.
    Hold it with my left hadn and Unzip it with my right hand.
    Remove firearm with my right hand and toss the gun rug back onto the dach wiith my left.
    Grab a full magazine from my mag holder with my left hand and insert in the firearm.
    Put one in the chamber and holster it.
    I can do this fairly fast.

I got away from using a hardcase because a gunrug works alot better to do the dance.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 08-13-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    I got away from using a hardcase because a gunrug works alot better to do the dance.
    Gander used to have them for around $6 in a variety of colors and sizes; I stocked up.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    if anyone could find them, the links to the legendary Doug videos might help.
    I have his Doug's vid linked on Here also. Scroll down to the vid section and there it is.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    In the New to OC in WI thread HERE or listed in my Signature, scroll down the FAQ and a description is listed there.
    My apologies! I read the sticky but must have missed that part in the FAQ.

I'm going to try my first open carry today, at fleet farm in west bend. I need to go check some ammo prices, so thought I'd give it a try. Also maybe trying carrying when we go for an evening walk tonight in my neighborhood. I understand you can't currenly OC in a state park, but county or local city parks are ok right?

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Here's the info from the link/thread he mentions above:

Can't wait to get that updated.

And here's another thread newcomers should browse, with educational videos:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...LEO-Encounters

Expecially watch the first 2, titled "don't talk to cops".
    They're long, & the first one (by a lawyer) is done at about warp 3.
    Spend the time. Very valuable information.
    Yep I have watched many of those. Very helpful, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwguy11 View Post
    My apologies! I read the sticky but must have missed that part in the FAQ.

I'm going to try my first open carry today, at fleet farm in west bend. I need to go check some ammo prices, so thought I'd give it a try. Also maybe trying carrying when we go for an evening walk tonight in my neighborhood. I understand you can't currenly OC in a state park, but county or local city parks are ok right?
    If your town has a ban on carrying, it is unenforceable, so yes, you can carry in your town's parks.

If your town has a ban on carrying, it is unenforceable, so yes, you can carry in your town's parks.
    I assume because of preemption?

I assume because of preemption?
    That is correct.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    You may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. So long as it is on the books, a LEO can write a citation for it. Before November 1st there is a State Park Ban. After that you may carry with a permit. Municipalities will argue that a County/City/Town park ban is similar and no more stringent than a ban in a State Park.

bmwguy...One thing for OC in any state.. Do not act nervous. Act like you are doing nothing more than putting on your shoes or a coat or watch.

Once you are wearing this new accessory (your weapon), do not check it any more than you would a new pair of shoes. Use your elbow if necessary to calm the flutters, another reason for a high retention holster... No, you weapon will not jump out of it's holster and fall on the floor and try to run away... (if you have a good holster).

I did it no problem! Not so much as a stare. Acted like normal. Didn't even think about it after 10 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    You may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. So long as it is on the books, a LEO can write a citation for it. Before November 1st there is a State Park Ban. After that you may carry with a permit. Municipalities will argue that a County/City/Town park ban is similar and no more stringent than a ban in a State Park.
    bmwguy11, Do not forget to have an audio redocder on you and recording. If you take a ride for carrying in a County/City/Town park, we have a prime lawsuit.

IK- Yes, that will be thier arguement, provided to them by none other than the League of Municipalities, and it is flawed.

Now I am no lawyer, but as I understand it, the State will no longet have any "ban" in it's parks after Nov. 1st. If this is true, any local park bans would also have to go away.
    Or did I miss some other angle?

I did it no problem! Not so much as a stare. Acted like normal. Didn't even think about it after 10 minutes or so.
    I forgot to welcome you to the forum!
    Congrats on your choice to protect yourself.
    I have to be honest, I miss that first month I started to carry. Never knew what to expect, thought everyone was watching me... It's funny for me to look back now...

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    I read through all of the stickys, and couldn't find it, but I thought there was a step by step guide somewhere on HOW to open carry. Something to do with getting out of your car, removing the gun case from the car completely, taking out the gun, etc. I think there were some nuances in how exactly to get the gun from the car into your holster, and vice versa when you get ready to leave?
    Hi and welcome to the forum! I believe we've pretty much answered your original question, but without knowing your experience level with firearms, maybe we should have started at the beginning:

You certainly want to be able to positively avoid a situation like this in your life:
    Waukesha - The attorney for the Town of Delafield man who has been charged for accidently shooting his 10-year-old son in March will be seeking to have the charge dismissed.
    http://www.livinglakecountry.com/ket...127447973.html

Read the article and see if you can spot the mistakes and outright lies. I especially like where the attorney for the defense tries to BLAME IT ON THE GUN!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast