• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*how* to open carry

BROKENSPROKET

You may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. So long as it is on the books, a LEO can write a citation for it. Before November 1st there is a State Park Ban. After that you may carry with a permit. Municipalities will argue that a County/City/Town park ban is similar and no more stringent than a ban in a State Park.

bmwguy11, Do not forget to have an audio redocder on you and recording. If you take a ride for carrying in a County/City/Town park, we have a prime lawsuit.

BROKENSPROKET

You may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. So long as it is on the books, a LEO can write a citation for it. Before November 1st there is a State Park Ban. After that you may carry with a permit. Municipalities will argue that a County/City/Town park ban is similar and no more stringent than a ban in a State Park.

IK- Yes, that will be thier arguement, provided to them by none other than the League of Municipalities, and it is flawed.

AaronS

Now I am no lawyer, but as I understand it, the State will no longet have any "ban" in it's parks after Nov. 1st. If this is true, any local park bans would also have to go away.
Or did I miss some other angle?

AaronS

I did it no problem! Not so much as a stare. Acted like normal. Didn't even think about it after 10 minutes or so.

I forgot to welcome you to the forum!
Congrats on your choice to protect yourself.
I have to be honest, I miss that first month I started to carry. Never knew what to expect, thought everyone was watching me... It's funny for me to look back now...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I read through all of the stickys, and couldn't find it, but I thought there was a step by step guide somewhere on HOW to open carry. Something to do with getting out of your car, removing the gun case from the car completely, taking out the gun, etc. I think there were some nuances in how exactly to get the gun from the car into your holster, and vice versa when you get ready to leave?
Hi and welcome to the forum! I believe we've pretty much answered your original question, but without knowing your experience level with firearms, maybe we should have started at the beginning:

vopt0w.jpg

You certainly want to be able to positively avoid a situation like this in your life:
Waukesha - The attorney for the Town of Delafield man who has been charged for accidently shooting his 10-year-old son in March will be seeking to have the charge dismissed.
http://www.livinglakecountry.com/kettlemoraineindex/policeandcourts/127447973.html

Read the article and see if you can spot the mistakes and outright lies. I especially like where the attorney for the defense tries to BLAME IT ON THE GUN!

bmwguy11

No problem, I appreciate the info. I've actually been through a basic pistol safety course, and completed the UT permit course.

Also have thousands of rounds downrange. My wife is a better shot. :/