• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Verizon Union on strike?

Gunslinger

It has been proven beyond any doubt that strikers never make back the money they lose in a prolonged strike with a new contract and 'higher' wages. Strikes benefit only the union bosses who are dirtbag parasites, not the suckers walking in the picket lines.

cyras21

I noticed. Not to mention that I already knew that unions can and do spend dues money supporting causes I loathe.

I was hoping that the poster in denial of this fact would be forced to acknowledge his lack of knowledge on the subject without my having to specifically accuse him of ignorance.

I'm looking it up, but my understanding that since I belong to a Federal Employees Union, our dues could not be used for lobby that it had to come from the PAC. I know there are different rules for Federal Union, I just thought the PAC applied to all.

Shovelhead

Welcome to the real world, the world of the other ~80% of workers who seem to be getting along as best they can. Buying cars, TVs, food, clothes, paying for college, going on vacations when they can, posting on gun related forums, all without union representation. Union thugs do not get to set the agenda for all workers in this country.

Do you get strike pay?
$200 week after 15 days out
If you get strike pay, what is the percentage compared to your regular pay?
Chump Change

How does any strike pay compare to any potential pay from a different employer?
Chump Change, but that's why I have a JICSH cushion in the bank.

Can you work for someone else until the strike is over? Are you permitted under union rules to work elsewhere?
I can as long as it's not in the same career field.

My employer showed profits of $106 BILLION last year and now says ALL 'productive' employees should take what amounts to a $20,000 per person pay cut.
I have 30+ years invested. I came in when we were still Ma Bell under AT&T.
I can sit this one out for a while, the younger/less senior folks notsomuch, but it's THEIR benefits and retiree's pensions and health care we're fighting to save.

It has been proven beyond any doubt that strikers never make back the money they lose in a prolonged strike with a new contract and 'higher' wages. Strikes benefit only the union bosses who are dirtbag parasites, not the suckers walking in the picket lines.

I call BS on that one.
When we get back, there will be a huge backlog of work to be done.
There always is...... not to mention fixing all the stuff the managers screwed up "trying" to do our jobs.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

... Snip

I call BS on that one.
There always is...... not to mention fixing all the stuff the managers screwed up "trying" to do our jobs.

Here here. Did you see this one?

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/08/08/verizon-strike-service-vs-smiles-and-duct-tape/

Didn't even bother to try to get it done. Coulda taken their ladder out and been done in 2 hour... Or sinece it's a STEPPED POLE they could have done it in 1.. Bucket truck my balls.

And here I thought the company was training all the managers for this kind of work? /sarcasm

Sent using tapatalk

eye95

I'm looking it up, but my understanding that since I belong to a Federal Employees Union, our dues could not be used for lobby that it had to come from the PAC. I know there are different rules for Federal Union, I just thought the PAC applied to all.

I cannot speak to law specifically targeted at federal employee unions. Unions, in general, can and do vile things with the dues they collect against the wishes of the members from whom they force the payment of such.

Unions are a government-endorsed "protection" scheme--with the possible exception of highly regulated federal employee unions.

That would be ironic, though: not allowing unions with whom they have to deal to do to them and their members what they force private companies and private employees to suffer!

Gunslinger

$200 week after 15 days out

I call BS on that one.

IF you make $3000 a month are out for 4 months and get a 4% (typical) raise, you make $120 more a month, after losing $12,000 in salary. See how that works out in a future value calculation. It takes 8.3 years to break even, and with inflation hit dollars. I don't care how big a backlog there is, you don't make the money back in anything but a couple of week strike.

Baked on Grease

IF you make $3000 a month are out for 4 months and get a 4% (typical) raise, you make $120 more a month, after losing $12,000 in salary. See how that works out in a future value calculation. It takes 8.3 years to break even, and with inflation hit dollars. I don't care how big a backlog there is, you don't make the money back in anything but a couple of week strike.

One word: Overtime. Verizon employees will get a ton of overtime by catching up on the repair workload that builds up during this strike.

Sent using tapatalk

2a4all

One word: Overtime. Verizon employees will get a ton of overtime by catching up on the repair workload that builds up during this strike.

Sent using tapatalk
Collective bargaining can be the working man's leverage in the free enterprise market. But it only works if all the workers with that job skill honor each other's efforts. Otherwise, labor competition is an individual thing, where several applicants compete for a given job. The one with the best resume` usually gets selected. As for advancement, unions tend to stifle initiative thru rigid seniority rules.

In general, by (federal) law, overtime pay (e.g. time & 1/2) only applies to wages below a certain amount. (IIRC, last time I encountered this, the hourly rate was about $27.00). Below that amount, one needs the OT to make a decent living. Employees who make more are exempt. Employment contracts can and do override this.

I understand that Verizon is hiring to replace striking workers in some areas. If true, this will enable Verizon to extend the strike indefintely and could cost the strikers their jobs. It wouldn't be the 1st time that an employer reclassified employee positions, i.e. relabels a position from electrician to technician. I wouldn't bet my financial future on someone else having control of my ability to earn.

Shovelhead

verizon-1.jpg

This is very typical of the stuff we have to repair (again) when we return.
This is what the managers and the "replacements" (scabs) are passing off as "Quality".

Apparently Gunslinger has never heard of that overtime stuff.
The norm is we end up working 12 -14 hour days after we return to cover the backlog.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

verizon-1.jpg

This is very typical of the stuff we have to repair (again) when we return.
This is what the managers and the "replacements" (scabs) are passing off as "Quality".

Apparently Gunslinger has never heard of that overtime stuff.
The norm is we end up working 12 -14 hour days after we return to cover the backlog.

As I don't know how much o/t you would normally work, I'm discounting it. Also, how 'long' would you be working that level of o/t if they hire replacement--admittedly not as good, workers? A lot of variables in play.

Shovelhead

Usually, the longer the 'replacements' are out there, the more we have to do when we get back...... ;)

After a 'time and a half' threshold is reached, hours worked turns into 'double time'.

Last edited:

Shovelhead

To Add:
Employees of V ,
Be careful what you post anywhere online.
V has folks searching the 'net and termination notices are to be sent to folks that post disparaging remarks about V on message boards and especially facebook pages.
They're using "Violation of the Code Of Conduct" rules as a "reason".

Last edited:

sk8erord

Why would you want to continue working for an employer who tries to "screw" you constantly? Why would you want to work for management that is constantly hostile to you because of the union? I'd much rather (and do) work for an employer who respects me and I respect in turn. Why would you trust someone else to negotiate with your employer about your value (and thus your compensation)? I'd rather negotiate for myself with a company that is responsive to its employees. Find a new employer...

Sent from my Flashback 7.1 using Tapatalk

eye95

To Add:
Employees of V ,
Be careful what you post anywhere online.
V has folks searching the 'net and termination notices are to be sent to folks that post disparaging remarks about V on message boards and especially facebook pages.
They're using "Violation of the Code Of Conduct" rules as a "reason".

Cite? Or is this a union tactic to discredit the company in the eyes of the general pubic?

Shovelhead

Cite? Or is this a union tactic to discredit the company in the eyes of the general pubic?

There is no cite you will find in print.
I believe this threat is predominantly aimed at the NY and NJ unions.
They have a reputation of being more 'radical' with their picketing.

This is just another company tactic used to 'try' to bust the union.
I feel most if not all of the 'terminations' will be overturned on grievances.

Last edited:

Shovelhead

Why would you want to continue working for an employer who tries to "screw" you constantly? Why would you want to work for management that is constantly hostile to you because of the union? I'd much rather (and do) work for an employer who respects me and I respect in turn. Why would you trust someone else to negotiate with your employer about your value (and thus your compensation)? I'd rather negotiate for myself with a company that is responsive to its employees. Find a new employer...

I have 30 years invested, and a pension at stake.
In 30 years, we have never seen these tactics employed.
The new CEO (as of August 1, 2011) has set the new direction.

Last edited:

eye95

There is no cite you will find in print.
I believe this threat is predominantly aimed at the NY and NJ unions.
They have a reputation of being more 'radical' with their picketing.

This is just another company tactic used to 'try' to bust the union.
I feel most if not all of the 'terminations' will be overturned on grievances.

I will assume that it is the latter.

the_hustleman

We all know it isn't that simple at all!

Jobs are scarce, I support the union guys, they're just fighting immorality.

Now the extreme examples I dont agree with AT ALL because yes, there are some thuggish techniques being used, but for the most part the union is just looking out for their members.

And when you reach a certain age, trying to build a retirement, you can't just "find a new employer" who knows if you can do 30 more years at the new place? The employer may start off great, then decide to get silly, then what?

A GOOD union is a thing of beauty and all companies should have one. Unfortunately I can't think of any good unions in georgia. Here they are all a piece of crap and they focus on seniority, not performance, but in other states I've learned that jobs that pay minimum wage here pays almost double.

Theres good and bad in everything, you'd be an idiot to just up and quit though until you have something better

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Gunslinger

We all know it isn't that simple at all!

Jobs are scarce, I support the union guys, they're just fighting immorality.

Now the extreme examples I dont agree with AT ALL because yes, there are some thuggish techniques being used, but for the most part the union is just looking out for their members.

And when you reach a certain age, trying to build a retirement, you can't just "find a new employer" who knows if you can do 30 more years at the new place? The employer may start off great, then decide to get silly, then what?

A GOOD union is a thing of beauty and all companies should have one. Unfortunately I can't think of any good unions in georgia. Here they are all a piece of crap and they focus on seniority, not performance, but in other states I've learned that jobs that pay minimum wage here pays almost double.

Theres good and bad in everything, you'd be an idiot to just up and quit though until you have something better

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

How are they fighting "immorality"? You lost me on that one.

cyras21

I cannot speak to law specifically targeted at federal employee unions. Unions, in general, can and do vile things with the dues they collect against the wishes of the members from whom they force the payment of such.

Unions are a government-endorsed "protection" scheme--with the possible exception of highly regulated federal employee unions.

That would be ironic, though: not allowing unions with whom they have to deal to do to them and their members what they force private companies and private employees to suffer!

one thing I can agree with you on...