• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bedford man arrested in deadly shooting...

Thndr

I know this is not OC related but defense related possibly anyhow I found this interesting as I feel there is something left out.

Here is a link http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-bed...ss-shooting-incident-20110812,0,2935357.story

BEDFORD COUNTY, Va.—

The Bedford County sheriff's office is investigating a murder.

Twenty-nine-year-old Michael Thomas Loboschefski of Huddleston was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, aggravated malicious wounding and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

The shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. Thursday on Johnson Mountain Road. Investigators believe the shootings was the result of an altercation that occurred in Amherst County around 4 p.m. Thursday between a person who lives at Loboschefski's house and another person.

Investigators say shots were fired from a green Mustang. As the Mustang stopped in the road, deputies say Loboschefski returned fire with a .22 caliber rifle. The Mustang then took off.

Around 12 a.m., two people showed up at the emergency room at Lynchburg General Hospital. Audrey Michelle Bryan, 25, of Amherst County died at Lychburg General Hospital from a gunshot wound. Josh Hughes, 27, also of Amherst County, suffered a gunshot wound to the leg but is expected to be okay.

-------------------

The Bedford County sheriff's office will hold a 11 a.m. news conference to discuss a shooting incident that occurred in the county Thursday evening.

The sheriff's office says no further information will be released until the news conference.

Stay with NEWS7 and WDBJ7.com for the latest.

I know that the line is blurred if you instantiate/instigate the issue but this seems that one member dropped the issue and returned fire in defense, It leaves me asking what is missing.

Thoughts comments?

78 Camaro

That's messed up.... Pull up in front of his house and shoot at him.. He returns fire and he's charged with murder?

Even if he was involved in the previous altercation. That was over and done with many hours ago. This is a new altercation where they sought him out and tried to kill him.

Thndr

That is how I feel with the information given. I am being a little reserved as I feel there is more to the story than what has been released.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Wow don't check the local news in the morning and see what happens. This does seem to be a strange story with details missing. I would expect the Bedford Sheriff's office to be fair regarding the use of firearms in self defense based one what I've read and heard.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another vote for saying that there is a lot of information missing. Therefore I'm just guessing that the Powers That Be are applying the felony murder rule (the 2nd one articulated here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule ).

Even what might otherwise seem like clear-cut self defense is not always clean and clear-cut. It's not even clear that the young lady was an absolutely innocent bystander.

And for the record, my frustration level is increasing due to the almost certainty that the press will not fill in the missing details even after the trial.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dear sweet shivering shiva, my head hurts from trying to read the comments!

I think I'm fairly well into the (l)ibertarian column, but I'm beginning to consider requiring a rule to keep those who are functionally illiterate from posting anywhere without the assistance of a proofreader/editor.

As mentioned by just about everybody, there is/was much more than a simple "guy shooting in self defense at folks performing a drive-by shooting at his house" gets nailed for what probably is a "felony murder" charge. But is it too much to expect any of the folks taking sides to be able to construct a simple sentence, let alone one spelled correctly? I pity the judge and jury that will have to sit through hours of this and try to sort out what information they intend to convey, let alone determine what the truth is/was.

stay safe.

wylde007

I think I'm fairly well into the (l)ibertarian column, but I'm beginning to consider requiring a rule to keep those who are functionally illiterate from posting anywhere without the assistance of a proofreader/editor.
While you and I have buried the proverbial hatchet on our initially adversarial relationship I would be hard-pressed indeed to find a statement from just about any source (reputable or otherwise) with which I could find less argument.

It is my firm belief that most people today have access to far more technology than their feeble brains can functionally comprehend - and that just makes it possible for more people to say stupid things much faster and to a larger audience.

TFred

While you and I have buried the proverbial hatchet on our initially adversarial relationship I would be hard-pressed indeed to find a statement from just about any source (reputable or otherwise) with which I could find less argument.

It is my firm belief that most people today have access to far more technology than their feeble brains can functionally comprehend - and that just makes it possible for more people to say stupid things much faster and to a larger audience.
Well, we don't grant people access to operate transportation technology before they can demonstrate their ability to do so it safely. Most jobs that require the use of dangerous chemicals and/or tools also have some sort of a training/apprentice system. Same for barbers and hairdressers... I don't think Skid's point is all that terrible. Of course, he is jesting, being a Bill of Rights guy, he would never actually desire to see some sort of a government imposed test before one might exercise their First Amendment rights*... but... Wow. yeah, some people really need to go back to the 4th grade.

*I don't wish to actually claim to speak for Skidmark, just supposing...

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, we don't grant people access to operate transportation technology before they can demonstrate their ability to do so it safely. Most jobs that require the use of dangerous chemicals and/or tools also have some sort of a training/apprentice system. Same for barbers and hairdressers... I don't think Skid's point is all that terrible. Of course, he is jesting, being a Bill of Rights guy, he would never actually desire to see some sort of a government imposed test before one might exercise their First Amendment rights*... but... Wow. yeah, some people really need to go back to the 4th grade.

*I don't wish to actually claim to speak for Skidmark, just supposing...

TFred

Which grade? :D

There might be something useful in John 8:7. Just sayin'. :D

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Consider yourself lucky. You don't find many posts from me with typos. ;) That's what happens when you post moments before the start of a new episode of Leverage! :D

TFred

Oh, I see. I didn't realize misusing ellipses and a run-on sentence were typos. I unnerstand better now. :D

TFred

Oh, I see. I didn't realize misusing ellipses and a run-on sentence were typos. I unnerstand better now. :D
Ha ha yep... well those were not typos. That's my writing style, which treats posts here as a sort of casual combination of writing and talking. That you will find many examples of.

It's astounding that you can understand a word I say! ;)

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Ha ha yep... well those were not typos. That's my writing style, which treats posts here as a sort of casual combination of writing and talking. That you will find many examples of.

It's astounding that you can understand a word I say! ;)

TFred

Are you suggesting I cannot read? :p:D

I can understand you. Its Grapeshot who sometimes gives me headaches with his--um--unique constructions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are you suggesting I cannot read? :p:D

I can understand you. Its Grapeshot who sometimes gives me headaches with his--um--unique constructions.

Take 2 Midol and call me in the morning; be sure to bring your Style Book. :lol: