• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know the facts of this old case?

paramedic70002

Well there you have it, OCing will just get your gun stolen. We should outlaw OC. Good thing there aren't any car crashes, we'd have to outlaw cars. Or armed robberies, we'd have to outlaw weapons. Or drownings, we'd have to outlaw swimming.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

TFred

I fully realize that most of us are "choir", but for those who are sitting in the back, or who may be dropping by for a visit, here are the "facts" of this case:

A gun used as a self-defense tools is not a magic wand that makes crime and criminals go away. It is exactly that, a tool.

If it were a magic wand, then no LEOs would ever be killed in the line of duty. No legally carrying, law-abiding citizens would ever need to use their gun in actual self-defense.

Unfortunately, the evil ones in the world we live (which dictates that we need these tools for our self-defense) sometimes prevail no matter what we do. Does that mean we should just stop trying? Of course not.

The simple fact in this case is that the victim was not maintaining sufficient situational awareness. He likely would have been just as robbed if he had been carrying concealed, so that certainly isn't the solution. If he had been walking along with a fully armed police officer who was not paying any more attention than he was, then they would have both been robbed.

Case in point, just a few years back, we had a police officer killed in an ambush here in Fredericksburg. Not only was he open carrying, he was looking for the bad guy. If a LEO on the hunt can sometimes lose to a bad guy, you certainly can't make any sort of generic policy decisions for the general populations about OC vs. CC.

TFred

Badger Johnson

To extend or FredT's excellent summary:

In any physical endeavor, people keep thinking that the way to win is by being big, tough, strong, knowing a 'secret', or having 'gear' or a weapon.

The real answer is:
1. Training method. You must have an effective training method to use your skill or tool, be it a physical tool or a skill (tool). Your training must be "alive" (resistance, timing, footwork and unrehearsed (force-on-force, plus).
2. Your ability to 'fight' with the 'weapon' (or skill). People with a gun who do not know how to fight with that gun will not be (as) effective.
3. Your mental approach - can you do it, can you react
4. Moral highground - If you are a somewhat moral person and you enter into a 'fight'/confrontation and you are not sure if you have the moral highground, you will not be able to fully react and fully engage.
5. Functionalizing your skill. You may know 20 ways to throw, shoot or armbar an opponent but unless you can bring that to bear during a fully resisting opponent, you will not have functionalized your skill. You will not 'remember it' under the stress of combat. You can teach a person who is not a fighter how to jab, cross and uppercut on the bag, but put him/her in the ring and they slap wildly at the opponent when being hit at the same time.
...and so forth. Attributes only mean so much. A big strong Arnold, with training, STILL could not swing a sword effectively in the first Conan movie.

$.02

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My thoughts,

He should have had a back up gun. ( If he had a CHP )

I am seriously having a difficult time understanding how the presence of a back-up gun would have changed the outcome of the incident. I ask that you explain to me how having a back-up gun would have changed the outcome - except that possibly two guns would have been stolen instead of only one.

Thanks in advance.

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

I am seriously having a difficult time understanding how the presence of a back-up gun would have changed the outcome of the incident. I ask that you explain to me how having a back-up gun would have changed the outcome - except that possibly two guns would have been stolen instead of only one.

Thanks in advance.

stay safe.

with CHP back up gun is hiden, he could have stopped them when they turned around and walked off. He was then was defenseless.

2a4all

Thanks in advance.

stay safe.

with CHP back up gun is hiden, he could have stopped them when they turned around and walked off. He was then was defenseless.
So he pulls his BUG (and points it at them) after they turn their backs and start to walk away?

Now he's the threat, and could be shot with his own weapon as they act in self defense. Not good.

2a4all