• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

kylemoul

Windly Hill Farm Supply on Hwy B in Cedar Hill. Go there frequently. They are always nice and willing to help.

Couldn't find any online information of OC in Cedar Hill. Anyone gotta link?

Do not take this 100%, but my folks live out in Cedar Hill. Either they do not have their ordinances published, or they are CDP/unincorporated and follow the county's (Jefferson) laws.

CGregory

New Member here

Please feel free to carry in either of my 2 businesses in Warrensburg, GNC or The Donut Cafe.

I have a cc permit, but of late would rather oc to promote that it is leagal. I am amazed by how few people know that it is legal to OC. Probably because the media won't talk about it.

Wbinsk

Carried around Richland again today. Ran into Evans supermarket for bread. As I was checking out the lady reached across to help me with the credit card scanner and she got a good look at my glock without a blink. After the store ran in to get my hair cut, know the barber but had never carried there before and she didn't have a problem with it either.

osmanobma

can police officers confiscate/take away your gun during either a traffic stop or a stop while walking down the street? for example during if a cop pulls you over for speeding and he finds out you have a gun either by you telling him or him seeing it, does he have the right to take it from you during the duration of the stop?

HighFlyingA380

can police officers confiscate/take away your gun during either a traffic stop or a stop while walking down the street? for example during if a cop pulls you over for speeding and he finds out you have a gun either by you telling him or him seeing it, does he have the right to take it from you during the duration of the stop?
No, the 4th amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects us from unreasonable searches and seizures. Unless that firearm was used or is suspected of being used to commit a crime, or if you become arrested/detained, then they have no reason to do so.

BOOMcat12B

Got stopped yesterday for a MWG call... Posted about that in another thread... But today I carried to the gym and Walgreens as well as Kroger here in Rolla with no problems.

bp231986

Was my first time OCing, with that said i was kinda nervous to. Went to walmart here in columbia and did my shopping that took about an hour, no problems. After walmart i ran to the gas station filled up my tank and no problems there either. Ran to pay my rent and no problems there either. Got some looks from people that noticed it but it was more of a "i wonder if his a LEO type of look" No one yelled gun or called the LPD :) For it being my first time i was glad that there were no problems.

Wbinsk

Returning on road trip from Texas couldn't OC in tx or ok yet but as soon as we crossed Missouri state line we retrieved reloaded and reholstered our fire arms. Stopped at joplin mo Phillips 66 for gas, as I prepayed the gentle man behind the counter asked if I was a cop I responded with no he asked if I just carried and I said yes. As I was filling up he came out with a question about OC. Seemed very comfortable with OC'ers at the station

FYI gas was $3.18 if anyone is goin through

bp231986

Welcome bp231986: It get's easier as you continue to do it. We all got the jitters at first..

Thanks Jim! You are correct sir it has been easier to OC. Yesturday i ran to walmart for a few things i needed for a BBQ and encounterd no problems at all. I Will be now OCing were ever its legal to do so.

kylemoul

Not sure if other people have experienced my mindset, but a while back I was too worried about getting kicked out of XYZ company or worried about what other people think or what happens if some loud/crazy civilian dislikes me exercising my rights.

Then one day I just said to myself... Fuc it.

I now THINK in my mind; it is my right, it is my life to protect, and i can give 2 sh!ts less if i "offend" somebody and have no problem ignoring/walking away from them, even a LEO.

Now how i would SPEAK to LEO and wild citizens would be kind and calm (if any casual conversation even takes place), but absolute to stand up for myself and stand up for my rights, and the rights of others even if they choose not to exercise them.

I guess the point is you will get used to it, and maybe later on have a different view on it. Look out for your life and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. It is the most important thing to have. And without it...well your dead.

lrsmithwhaley

Please feel free to carry in either of my 2 businesses in Warrensburg, GNC or The Donut Cafe.

I have a cc permit, but of late would rather oc to promote that it is leagal. I am amazed by how few people know that it is legal to OC. Probably because the media won't talk about it.

CGregory, what are the laws for around here in Warrensburg? I'm new to the site, and looking to get my first handgun soon, and will be open carrying as soon as I do (legally of course).

HighFlyingA380

CGregory, what are the laws for around here in Warrensburg? I'm new to the site, and looking to get my first handgun soon, and will be open carrying as soon as I do (legally of course).
Basically, strap it on and go about your normal business. According to MO, to be OC, the firearm has to be easily identified as such. I take this to mean no "flap" style holster, that covers the gun.

Watch out when you're walking along, and if you're on UCM property or not. (They own some of the sidewalks along public roads.) Although it's not against the law to carry on campus, if you're a student, you will be expelled without question. Along the lines of schools, remember you must be at least 1,000' from any primary/secondary (elementary, middle, and high) school property. (Unless you get a MO CCW permit, or you're in your vehicle.)

The 'Burg is great with OCing. I've had noting but good encounters with LEOs and the public. I can tell you that New China Buffet is super OC friendly. She loves us there.

Here are the MO firearm laws and the Warrensburg firearm laws.

lrsmithwhaley

Thanks for the info. Now to start learning where the schools, and churches are around here.
Basically, strap it on and go about your normal business. According to MO, to be OC, the firearm has to be easily identified as such. I take this to mean no "flap" style holster, that covers the gun.

Watch out when you're walking along, and if you're on UCM property or not. (They own some of the sidewalks along public roads.) Although it's not against the law to carry on campus, if you're a student, you will be expelled without question. Along the lines of schools, remember you must be at least 1,000' from any primary/secondary (elementary, middle, and high) school property. (Unless you get a MO CCW permit, or you're in your vehicle.)

The 'Burg is great with OCing. I've had noting but good encounters with LEOs and the public. I can tell you that New China Buffet is super OC friendly. She loves us there.

Here are the MO firearm laws and the Warrensburg firearm laws.

woodja72

I-44 Corridor

I live in Richland and was curious about OC, anyone OC up and down the I44 corridor? I have see some Rolla and some Springfield and one fellow Richland resident, it is no longer Evans LOL. Just curious as a guy I know has been having issues in Rolla.

BOOMcat12B

Well I live in Rolla and have had 4 MWG calls so far. Most of them in the last 3 weeks or so. Of course I walk everywhere I go so I guess I get a bit more exposure than most who drive and the like...Plus I do look "Scary" from what I am told so that probably has something to do with it as well. But here are the recaps of my MWG calls (Set a record yesterday, will explain in a minute.) As far as putting up the audio that I record, most of it is not really worth it, however there is one that I want to put up, I just need to figure out how to transfer it onto here (my recorder has no port to connect to my computer)...It was the only real negative experience I have had with a LEO so far.

Call 1- My buddies and I were coming back from Rayjays and just as we get to the intersection reight before Pine street (The one by the rent a center and Meeks storage yards) a Rolla PD officer pulls up hits his lights and comes out and talks to us. Both he and the other officer were professional and courteous. They removed my weapon from the holster (They told me they were going to, just for their safety, which I was ok with because they were not being ignorant about things) They unloaded my Ruger and put it on the trunk of one of the cruisers....Asked us for our IDs ( I was the only one carrying but we all complied) ran all our ids...All the while BSing with us and apologizing saying they just had to respond to the call. They let us go and we went on our way. The officers were professional and courteous. No problems

Call 2 was not even a call. There is one officer here in Rolla that I have encountered that is dead set against anyone who carries unless you have a badge. He had just got done responding to a different call at Wal-mart and was getting ready to leave when he saw us walk into the store. He followed us in ( This officer also responded to the first call and tried to tell me that OCing was bad.) and once again he tries to convince me that OCing is bad...All the while trying to tell me I am going to get kicked out of Wal-Mart for OCing in there...I tried to tell him that Wal-Mart follows corporate policy but he insisted... We contiuned to talk back and forth till he got fed up with me not backing down and he just left. This is the one that I would like to post up to see what everyone thinks about it. Like I said there was no call on this one.

Call 3- This one was while I was at RollaFest. I was with a close friend of mine and her 3 yo son. We were over by the blow up play areas and the little one was playing while her and I talked... I noticed an officer talking to someone and I knew what was coming. He came up to me and we talked for a minute, he was professional and courteous, BSed with me while he ran my info, we talked about OCing and where you can carry and what not. He was surprised to learn that you can carry just about anywhere here in Rolla...Most places have no problem with it. Then he wished me a good day and I went on my way. As I was heading away I guess one of the owners of the fair equipment was talking to the officer and she wanted me to leave but the officer told her I was well with in my rights and the law by carrying and being on public property.

Call 4- This happened yesterday and it is the new record for LEOs responding to me OCing... My buddies and I were walking to Wal-Mart from Pine St and we were right next to Pryors Pizza when I heard a cruiser coming... Knew what was coming so I pulled out my recorder hit record and kept walking towards the cruiser that pulled ahead of us...When the officer got out of the car I gave a friendly greeting and stopped. At this point we had The Phelps county Sheriffs dept, Missouri S&T police and the Rolla PD there. 9 officers and 7 cruisers. They shut down the side of 63 we were on for about 5 minutes. The officer asked us what we were doing, then asked me why I was carrying, while he removed my weapon from the holster. I told him to be careful as it was loaded. He unloaded it into the grass and took both my mags and put them in the grass as well... Then put my pistol into his waistband... I am not happy about the treatment of my property but I let it slide at the time. The officer said that they got a MWG call as weel as someone saying that we were involved in a verbal argument in the Krogers parking lot... Which was not true, we were just walking through there, not loud or boisterous or anything like that. The officer ran all our IDs, then he ran my serial number. The whole time my buddy and I are just laughing and talking with the other cops... We are getting used to dealing with these calls by now. We commented on how sad it was that they were getting calls about a MWG like they are and how we were confused about the whole verbal argument bit. I explained that while carrying there is a certain responsibility that goes with it, and the like. After things were done and the LEOs were leaving the officer handed me my weapon back, and suggested that I go home and leave it there. I told him that I was heading to Wal-Mart and that since what I was doing was legal I was going to continue what I was doing. He then tried to tell me that OCing was a bad idea because I could get attacked by some "Rogue Cowboy" who was armed and then I would have to wait for the LEOS to arrive. I simply told him that was the very reason I carry, to defend myself against situations like that, and should I find myself in that situation it was going to end badly for the "Rogue Cowboy". The officer said exactly (which confused me) then he suggested that I just put my weapon back in the holster unloaded and with the slide locked back... I gave him a "are you retarded look" and told him that one the holster was not designed to hold a weapon like that therefore rendering it unsafe, asn I also told him that an unloaded weapon was useless unless as a chunk of steel, and therefore I was going to reload my weapon. I asked him if he wanted me to do it in front of him or if he would feel safer for me to wait till they left and reload then. He did not answer so I wished him and the fellow officers a good day and told them to be safe out there, waited till they left then re loaded and went about my business.

Now I know there are 2 reasons for me getting these calls. One is like I said I "look" scary- I have a Mohawk died red blue and Ruby, a goatee, and I wear alot of muscle shirts so you can see my tattoos and the like. And 2 my buddies are usually with me and we walk everywhere since we live in the middle of town. All of these calls were while I was walking to or from somewhere. Once I am somewhere I have never had a problem. Other than Taco Bell... They are not carry friendly. Anyways this is what I have so far...I figur before the end of the summer I will have had most of the department (Both Rolla PD and the Sheriffs) stop me at some point... But as long as they continue to be professional then I am ok with that. Only because change takes time...

Please let me know what you guys think of all this and I will try to figure out how to post some of those recordings on here....

S&W_Guy

First Time OC-ing in Kansas City and other locations

First off, I'm new to the board and wanted to say hello. I purchased my first handgun last week after doing more homework than I've ever done for a college-level paper. In the end, I chose a S&W M&P .40.

I've been open-carrying since I purchased the gun and I've had pleasantish mixed reactions.

QuikTrip (Many different locations): A good amount of open carries in the first week. Only two really noteworthy reactions. First, a woman and her kid were at the soft-drink section of the store. The boy very excited said, "Look Mommy, that man's got a gun!" She proceeded to take her child from the store, leaving their drinks on the counter. The second was a biker-type opening the door for me. As he did, he looked down at my hip and noticed the pistol. He smiled and nodded at me as I walked through the door.

Walmart (Liberty): On several occasions, I've opened carried in the store. Only one weird incident occurred. I walked by a cashier entering the store and she panicked asking her co-worker for a walkie-talkie. Nothing came of it.

Lowes (Chillicothe): I walked by a manager on my way to the rest room while he was on the phone with someone. In hushed tones I overheard him talking to someone about a man entering the store with a gun. I spent over an hour in Lowes and nothing came of the encounter.

No Name Gas Station (Tecumseh, NB): After brushing up on Kansas and Nebraska laws (the states I travel to most frequently due to family), I decided to venture an open carry in this little gas station. The lady behind the counter glanced at the gun and didn't say anything about it.

Now that I'm done traveling for a while and am back in Kansas City (North of the River to be specific), I wanted to know what to expect from the LEOs and see if any of you had advice for a first-time gun owner and OC-er.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well I live in Rolla and have had 4 MWG calls so far.

--snip--

Please let me know what you guys think of all this and I will try to figure out how to post some of those recordings on here....

Wow, just wow! That many stops in that short of a time and all of those violations of your rights...........and yet you are so cavalier about it and apparently don't follow through with any complaints or other action - strange that.

Perhaps you'd be willing to provide the documentation (time, date, location, officers names et al) for the most egregious stop ( you have the recording, right?) so that someone else can FOIA the incident.

BOOMcat12B

Wow, just wow! That many stops in that short of a time and all of those violations of your rights...........and yet you are so cavalier about it and apparently don't follow through with any complaints or other action - strange that.

Perhaps you'd be willing to provide the documentation (time, date, location, officers names et al) for the most egregious stop ( you have the recording, right?) so that someone else can FOIA the incident.

Well in all honesty I am not sure how to go about all of that. I have OCed for about a year now, and this has all recently happened so I am new to this side of Ocing... Also due to the fact that all but one officer has been professional and polite about the encounters I have not worried about it to much. They get a call they still need to respond to the call a check things out. As long as they do not get ignorant or try to bully me then I am fine with them doing their jobs. There is one officer that I have decided the next time I have an encounter with him then I will most likely be writing a letter to the Chief about his handling of our encounters ( as well as taking him the recordings that were taken at the time)

Also I am not exactly clear on what my rights are during a stop.... The research I have done shows many different ways to handle a stop, but all seem to be contrary to the other... I know that I have to show ID if requested, and on the last stop I asked if I was being detained and the ooficer said I was for the time being until they figured out what was going on. However I read into it and it looks like I can not be detained without probable cause, so I really do not know. Any advice for me Grapeshot? Or any from anyone else...especially those in MO in this area? I am more than willing to learn and become a better OCer and ambassador for the OC community.

Last edited: