• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

Redbaron007

I wonder what would happen if I did this and whether it could be considered forgery? here it goes

I am nifty with photoshop, so i wonder if i can get a copy of yours, scan it, blink out your name, copy the font, and then i can make one for anyone that wishes to carry it... but once again, i wonder if that would be considered forgery...

it might be easier if you just tell us the process you followed to get it in the first place, to be honest i would personally prefer that to possible forgery. I can see the headline now:

Missouri open carry act has been terminated due to a number of people forging a letter from the mayor, more at 9!

that would be my luck...

It could be a forgery if he puts his name on it and attempts to give the impression the letter was given to him by the signer, when it wasn't. He would presenting a document as real, when it wasn't.

The other thing that comes to mind, similar to forgery, is impersonation.

If it were me, I would black out Jim40cal's name and not put anything else, not eliminate the name, just black it out. The point you are trying to make with the document is it is legal, via this letter, to OC in Independence MO. YMMV

Good luck.

Jim40Cal

Don't let anyone tell you it's illegal to open carry in Independence. I have a letter I carry from the chief of police and the city attorney saying otherwise..

I had a discussion with an officer who said he would take my gun and put me in jail if he caught me open carrying. I wrote to my city councilman who sent me a letter stating he talked to the city attorney and chief of police and they said I was legal..The letter is from my councilman. Give me a time an place an I will give you a copy. I'll also try an paste it on here later.

wolfgangmob

Well had an unexpected encounter today, walked past two Rolla PD who were questioning a guy at a Philips 66 just up the road from me when I went to get a soda (don't keep any in my place). I walked past them going in and they didn't notice, coming out they saw it and one of them just said "I know it's legal but not a good idea bro." I just told him I don't have a problem with it and that I didn't know they were there, which was the truth. I then walked on back to my apartment and nothing happened.

kylemoul

Well had an unexpected encounter today, walked past two Rolla PD who were questioning a guy at a Philips 66 just up the road from me when I went to get a soda (don't keep any in my place). I walked past them going in and they didn't notice, coming out they saw it and one of them just said "I know it's legal but not a good idea bro." I just told him I don't have a problem with it and that I didn't know they were there, which was the truth. I then walked on back to my apartment and nothing happened.

why would it matter if they were there or not?

HighFlyingA380

I went to Discount Smokes and Liquor an hour or so ago to pick-up some pipe tobacco and a six-er of Blue Moon. When I got up the the counter, the other clerk started makin' fun of me for trying to act cool carrying an airsoft gun. I ensured him it was not, but he didn't believe me until I showed him my secondary mag with actual bullets. That shut him up pretty fast. To top it off, a security guard (not for the store) came up behind me in the line, and told them not to sell to me because it was illegal to purchase alcohol while carrying a gun. He said he knew 100% that it wasn't. I asked who he worked for, and that's when I found out he was a security guard. At that point I told him he had no place in the conversation and to be quiet. I then told him and the clerk that if he didn't believe me, I could get me copy of the laws out of my car and show him. The clerk said that he wasn't going to argue with somebody with a gun, so he didn't need to see them. Overall, pretty good encounter, since one clerk and a few other customers were genuinely interested in learning more, so I didn't let the rent-a-cop ruin my night.

Last edited:

bp231986

I went to Discount Smokes and Liquor an hour or so ago to pick-up some pipe tobacco and a six-er of Blue Moon. When I got up the the counter, the other clerk started makin' fun of me for trying to act cool carrying an airsoft gun. I ensured him it was not, but he didn't believe me until I showed him my secondary mag with actual bullets. That shut him up pretty fast. To top it off, a security guard (not for the store) came up behind me in the line, and told them not to sell to me because it was illegal to purchase alcohol while carrying a gun. He said he knew 100% that it wasn't. I asked who he worked for, and that's when I found out he was a security guard. At that point I told him he had no place in the conversation and to be quiet. I then told him and the clerk that if he didn't believe me, I could get me copy of the laws out of my car and show him. The clerk said that he wasn't going to argue with somebody with a gun, so he didn't need to see them. Overall, pretty good encounter, since one clerk and a few other customers were genuinely interested in learning more, so I didn't let the rent-a-cop ruin my night.

Rent a cops like him are the ones that give me and others good officers i work with bad names, that securtiy officer should know that he has NO power at all out of his working zone(post)and shouldnt be making up any weird or stupid laws. should have taken his badge number and called it in, if we were to ever pull such a stupid stunt as that we be looking for a different job.....Next time tell him to stay true to his post/zone.

Boba Fett

If anyone's read my review on FriendorFoe.us, they know that Incredible Pizza here in Springfield has decal-text on the doors saying "No concealed weapons". Several months ago, I called and asked the owner, Mr. Mark Eastin, about this policy. He said that they only had the text for legal purposes and that he was pro-carry and that the policy was not enforced. I specifically asked him about carry in the building, and he said that either concealed or open carry was perfectly ok.

Well, today my mom needed me to drive her back from an eye doctor appointment, and she wanted to go to there. I was OC'ing my Glock and we went in and made a few rounds through the buffet with no issues. However on our way back tot he game room, a manager stopped me and asked me to secure my sidearm in my vehicle. I told him I had personally talked to Mr. Eastin about it. He insisted that no one had told him about not enforcing the policy, and that I would have to disarm. I asked him if he disarmed LEO's, to which he replied that he did, and that a something-or-other deputy that was a regular customer was always made to disarm.

I promptly left with my mother. I suppose I'll have to give Mr. Eastin another call and ask him to inform his managers the same way he informed me.

NG19

My wife and I went for a walk around the burg tonight. We took our dog and a neighbors dog too. Walked all around town and through a couple of subdivisions. Had no problem except for the few drunk college kids we passed by, hootin and hollerin about me having a gun with a cop just down the road watching them. Nothing came of it though. This town gets to be very loud when college is in session. Very nice night to walk through some quiet areas though. A pretty full moon and only a few clouds allowed us to see a good distance even without street lights.

BeautifuloserMC

Just Curious

I've been reading through this thread for a few hours now and have raised a few questions. Internet research has helped a lot, but I still have some questions.

First a little background. I'm fairly new to guns, but I made sure to go through a couple of safety courses and everything before buying one. I live in IL, where both OC and CC are (aside from a very few exceptions) Illegal. I have my FIOD card, and an Arizona Non-resident Concealed Carry Permit(which MO honors). I come into STL quite often and this is where my questions start...

Per IL law I can have my gun in my vehicle if it is unloaded and in a locked case (I have a truck so Trunk isn't an option for me), but from what I can tell so far, In MO I can CC in my vehicle and on my person... OC when not in the vehicle, though there seems to be certain places where that is prohibited by city ordinances.

THE off limit place seems to be: St. Louis City (correct?)
Can anyone else give me Cities where OC and/or CC are Prohibited. (I've never been in trouble with the cops and I plan on avoiding it as much as possible...)

I've seen a lot of posts about "Unincorporated St. Louis County" and I'm a little uncertain as to what that means. If someone could explain that, I'd be grateful.

OK places seem to be: Bella Villa, Lake St. Louis, Affton, and some other places I've never really heard of... Someone mentioned Kirkwood(which made me happy, because I'm often in Kirkwood).
what are some other places frequented where it hasn't really been an issue.

I'd also like more info on specific areas that I tend to be in, areas like: Webster Groves, The Grove(which I believe is part of STL City... so I'm expecting a NO there), Ucity, The Loop(also think that's part of STL City), Ballwin, Brentwood, Clayton, CWE, Towergrove...

P.s. Thanks for being patient... I know I'm a newbie and seriously appreciate all the help I can get.

Andrew

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I've been reading through this thread for a few hours now and have raised a few questions. Internet research has helped a lot, but I still have some questions.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Answer a couple for you. With your AZ permit, you can Concealed carry in any place in the state, except for a very few building exceptions. You will want to THOROUGHLY read the Missouri concealed carry laws so you are compliant and while most of the time you can rely on what you hear, since it is your freedom, you really need it to be YOUR decisions on what buildings are restricted. Thankfully the MO concealed weapons laws are clear and to the point, you should be fine, but if you develop a question on one part or another you can feel free to ask and will likely get very accurate information.

As far as OC goes, it is a real pain in the butt in the metro St Louis area as muni's can and do ban it and not all of them make it easy to find out if they have banned it. Some report to webspaces where you can find it, but they have no obligation to update those webspaces and many do not do so aka it might look legal in Maplewood if you go on their webspace, but it is not, they passed a law a year ago and still have not posted it so there is no real good list or answer. If you depend upon the opinions of myself or others regarding a municipality you are going to visit, you are taking legal advice from a totally unqualified party. For that reason alone you must do your own research and NOT rely on others opinions unless they are your own lawyer.

Unincorporated St Louis county means it is within the boundaries of St Louis county, but is not inside any other political subdivision aka city or town. Like you mentioned Kirkwood, it shares a border with Webster Groves, there is no unincorporated area between them. If there were space between them no other town "owned" then that area would indeed be unincorporated. Cities are corporations. This is kind of important in st louis county as there are indeed COUNTY laws which is a bit unusual as most counties do not opt for ordinances or laws that go above and beyond the state level except to collect taxes and fees, they usually have no behavioral laws at all, St Louis County does. Most likely it stems from when St Louis City indeed was separated from the county and while not a city, there were indeed enough persons in the area to need to organize and then they opted to regulate as well. Kinda sad for a free country, but it is what it is and each and every little power center is seeking to gain as much power as possible often times without regard for the laws as well, they just want the power.

HighFlyingA380

Per IL law I can have my gun in my vehicle if it is unloaded and in a locked case (I have a truck so Trunk isn't an option for me), but from what I can tell so far, In MO I can CC in my vehicle and on my person... OC when not in the vehicle, though there seems to be certain places where that is prohibited by city ordinances.
Per MO law, if you are 21 or over, it is perfectly legal to CC or OC while in your vehicle anywhere within the state. It is the "Peaceable Journey" law: http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf Look at the last page under the heading "Carrying A Weapon In A Vehicle," in particular, the first two sentences.

Luckily I've been on the other side of the state for the bulk of my OC life, so I cannot comment much on where you can carry, except to BE CAREFUL!!! The lawmakers over there don't seem to make sensible laws that help the public, but rather laws to make money.

xdmcompact

. Someone mentioned Kirkwood(which made me happy said:
Kirkwood is no OC, they banned it this year along with five or so other municipalities Olivette, Ellisville, Maplewood, Maryland Heights and Rock Hill.

lambofevil

I'm still new to OC carryed today running around a few looks but nothing more

I do have a question...I have done some looking around online and have found that st.peters is OC with a. Cc permit are there any other non OC friendly places in saint charles county?

HighFlyingA380

Just got back from a fuel stop at Break Time on Hwy. 13 in Warrensburg, just south of campus. The normal night worker was there who I know is extremely supportive of OC since her employer doesn't let her protect herself. There was also a new trainee at the station who had just started his first shift. Got talking to the two of them; both were extremely supportive of OC and constitutional carry. I might have gotten us another possible OCer, since he said he was anxiously awaiting to turn 21 to get his CCW in order to carry. I informed him that he did not have to be 21 to OC in MO, and he was very happy about that. As I said, hopefully that means we'll get another OCer around town.

OPENCARRYMISSOURI

Yesterday open carry actives

Hello All,

Yesterday I open carried while doing yard work and later that evening had a small group of armed neighbors at my home to discuss adopting a stretch of highway 33 between kearney, mo and lathrop, missouri for trash pick up as a open carry group. out of the 5 of us all agreeded to help in this project to educate the local people and law enforcement personal.

I have looked thu this website to find a simple example to print and distubte. spelling out what missouri law/s allow for plubic open carry. if anyone can direct me to such printable info it would be very helpful. the link for missouri open carry law on the map page is a dead link. thanks again.

Your Friend in Freedom, Jon

kcgunfan

It's the same law that makes it legal to wear a red shirt on Thursday. Laws do not make things legal, they make them illegal. So, if it's not illegal, then it's legal. It's no harder than that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Boba Fett

It's the same law that makes it legal to wear a red shirt on Thursday. Laws do not make things legal, they make them illegal. So, if it's not illegal, then it's legal. It's no harder than that.

No it's the law after the one that says you can drive after drinking any amount of coffee.

Anyways, you nailed it. And good luck OPENCARRYMISSOURI.