• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

Festus_Hagen

Carried to Capital Pawn and Boggs Creek in JC, then went to Subway to eat. Sat next to a family of about 6 with a cute baby girl in a hi chair that was waving to me and smiling real big. :) I was waving back and we were having fun... she was shy but still wanting to engage me somehow. Her Dad saw what she was doing after he saw me waving at here. He told her to turn around and eat while smiling and getting a kick out of it. I told him it was fine, she was just flirting with me. We joked a little about it and went about our business. It was a great thing, I love babies when they aren't mine. :lol: Anyway, no strange looks or anything of the sort. I went to the convenience store to get a soda then on to California. I stopped by the Vet to get some pills for my dog. Talked to Dr. Steck about 20 minutes, he never said a word. On to Bonecutters in Cali, made a trade! :monkey Went to the Mayor's liqueur store , grabbed a 12'er , and went to the station and filled up ( gas is cheaper there) . All went well, no strange looks, no draw-downs. As it should be. :)

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
The wife and I got dinner and a movie Sunday night here in Lees Summit, its a lot more fun to see a movie when I OC I don't worry about stupid people so much LOL

Firedawg314

OC at Mcdonals

In Florssiant where OC is "OK".... but yesterday was really weird. The people there gave me this feeling that there were in trouble??? You know when you watch a movie where everyone is really on edge because a robber is there trying to be subdued? I mean everyone was trying to avoid eye contact with me... really it was like something was about to go down. IF you are wondering, what I was wearing? Black polo shirt with tan docker pants with shoes to match, along with my XD compact .45. As I sat down waiting for my food, I notice this guy across from me, was talking on his cell phone. Not in a normal tone, as if he was trying to be quite... I stared at him (really I was trying to read his black and read Itialian shirt), I quess he thought I was paying attendtion to him... he quickly said to the person on the phone, "...sorry, never-mind... false alarm" and quickly hanged up the phone??? I had wondered... was he calling the cops? Was he about to start or make a scene because I walked in OCing? So, I just looked at him and turned my back. Once my food was ready I walked out.

The first time and in a long time, I felt scared to OC in fear I was breakin some law or something. I hate to say it... I think people still have "fears" and it depends on certain factors; what you are wearing, race, and location.

Just saying... some people I know of (I won't mention them)... but if they where to see a Middle Eastener OC... they probably get followed. I really think that because I am black and I walked in there with my gun, some of them where thinking the worse. GOD I hope that I am wrong... but I'm pretty good about my "gut feelings", normally 90% right.

Mo

Banned
Black polo shirt with tan docker pants with shoes to match, along with my XD compact .45. As I sat down waiting for my food, I notice this guy across from me, was talking on his cell phone. Not in a normal tone, as if he was trying to be quite... I stared at him (really I was trying to read his black and read Itialian shirt), I quess he thought I was paying attendtion to him... he quickly said to the person on the phone, "...sorry, never-mind... false alarm" and quickly hanged up the phone??? I had wondered... was he calling the cops?

I don't know where you were, but it is possible that the gentleman across from you was somehow up to no good (e.g waiting for a drug dealer/buyer) and he may have mistaken you for a plain clothes LEO and he was giving the heads up to whoever he was talking to on the phone... "Hey man, abort... a cop just walked in and gave me the eye.."

There has been a lot of instances mentioned in these forums where certain individuals (teens and young adults mostly) stopped what they were doing or changed their behavior abrubtly when they've spotted an OCer.

Just saying it was possible, not trying to discount the possibility that you were racially profiled.

Festus_Hagen

Seems like you were dressed nice and caused no problems, I'd say that's the location more than anything.
The first time and in a long time, I felt scared to OC in fear I was breakin some law or something. I hate to say it... I think people still have "fears" and it depends on certain factors; what you are wearing, race, and location.

Just saying... some people I know of (I won't mention them)... but if they where to see a Middle Easterner OC... they probably get followed. I really think that because I am black and I walked in there with my gun, some of them where thinking the worse. GOD I hope that I am wrong... but I'm pretty good about my "gut feelings", normally 90% right.

I think location is a HUGE factor. Probably more than anything else, really. It sounds like the Loo is not to partial to guns, as well as some areas of KC and also St. Joe. Here in Jeff City ( the capital, go figure ... ) it seems to be more lax than the places I mentioned. Even Columbia, nobody bats an eye.

I'm not a prejudice person by any means, but if I see someone dressed like a thug, my guard goes up . I don't care if he's black/ white/ hispanic/ martian, don't matter. There are just certain "types" of people that make me .. iffy. If I saw a Mid Eastern guy come into Subway or somewhere, acting normal and "looking right" , I wouldn't have a bad thought about it. Same with a black or Hispanic. Their dress/ attitude/ demeanor are what I think makes a big difference, besides location.

Firedawg314

I don't know where you were, but it is possible that the gentleman across from you was somehow up to no good (e.g waiting for a drug dealer/buyer) and he may have mistaken you for a plain clothes LEO and he was giving the heads up to whoever he was talking to on the phone... "Hey man, abort... a cop just walked in and gave me the eye.."

There has been a lot of instances mentioned in these forums where certain individuals (teens and young adults mostly) stopped what they were doing or changed their behavior abrubtly when they've spotted an OCer.

Just saying it was possible, not trying to discount the possibility that you were racially profiled.

Hey, its true... some times we are racially profiled.... it happens. I didn't think about the fact that he might have thought I was a LEO. Not here to stop people in their "business"... just wanted a burger...LOL. But I guess that's the good thing about OCing. druggies, thugs will go to places they feel "safe" to do their "dirt". I always wonder why more people don't OC?????

Firedawg314

I think location is a HUGE factor. Probably more than anything else, really. It sounds like the Loo is not to partial to guns, as well as some areas of KC and also St. Joe. Here in Jeff City ( the capital, go figure ... ) it seems to be more lax than the places I mentioned. Even Columbia, nobody bats an eye.

I'm not a prejudice person by any means, but if I see someone dressed like a thug, my guard goes up . I don't care if he's black/ white/ hispanic/ martian, don't matter. There are just certain "types" of people that make me .. iffy. If I saw a Mid Eastern guy come into Subway or somewhere, acting normal and "looking right" , I wouldn't have a bad thought about it. Same with a black or Hispanic. Their dress/ attitude/ demeanor are what I think makes a big difference, besides location.

Hey, its true... Even I am a black man... if I (in general) see other black people dressing thugish with the attitude... my gaurd goes up... even if I'm not carrying. Doesn't mean they are thugs... most of them just want to be, too look "good" as a strong person infront of females. But location does have a lot to do with it. Florissant... is the "normal" subbran area. If I had to guess, probably 80% white, 15% black and the rest is other. In general, great people and a strong 2A group out here (even though most of them are pretty old). Its the young people (15 and up) and others who move in from the city of their ideas of OCing is wrong or that cops are only allow to have a gun or buy one etc.

But in all, if OCing helps a business to do better (having thugs etc to go other places) then so be it.

usmcbess

I try and patronize the phillips 66 in Gray Summit as much as possible for a few reasons. They have never given me trouble about OC, I street preach at that intersection, they have a good selection, and they give you a nickel off gas if you pay cash.
I OC'd there today twice and do so on an almost daily basis.

Festus_Hagen

OC'ed at Hu Hot in Columbia again today. Took the wife and mother-in-law. Also stopped by Midway USA and picked up and order I put in an hour earlier. Went in with shirt tucked in, gun shin' and he didn't bat an eye. Went to Dollar General in California as well as Mr. G's. That was about my day , unless you count my buddies house who expects me to have no less than 6 guns in my possession when i show up ...lol.

xdmcompact

Went to the range today, put another 60 rounds thru my carry weapon. I am at about 2000 rounds thru my carry weapon since I bought it, can not wait for taxes hoping to get a new carry weapon. Met the wife's dad at the range, he is looking for a new CCW weapon. He tried out a few guns he was interested in at the range, now he just has to decide which one he wants to get.

Just got back from Cabela's and Bass pro, at Cabela's was asked if I knew I could not remove my gun from my holster in the store. Then was asked to cover it up and I replied open carry is legal, she said I know but, I did not let her get anything else out. I looked around for about an hour, was there for some foaming bore cleaner. Then headed over to Bass Pro for some of their Winchester SXZ personal protection ammo, they never have it anymore. It is a Bass Pro exclusive made for them by Winchester. Nothing said at Bass Pro about my OC, ended up with some Winchester PDX1 Defender personal protection ammo. We will see how it shoots next trip to the range.

Last edited:

usmcbess

Today... yesterday I was at some resturant in Florissant, located on Valle and New Halls Ferry. They are only open like 3 days a week right next to Imo's pizza. I walked right in with my fire arm on my side, no problems, and everyone seems "ok". I think its the fact they may think I'm a cop so no one says anything.

I have notice the public will react depending on how you dress. Normally I wear a polo shirt, some jeans etc. Now it the temp being cooler, I wear a nice leather jacket that is mainly open (if I have to reach for it)... but for the most part the firearm is concealed 99% of the time while wearing it... yeah its amazing how it covers it up. Anyway, I walked in and waited... I got a few "looks" as everyone eyes where focused on it. But I guess their fears rested when they seen me focus on the menu and had my wallet in my hand.
:banana:

I also found the holster I am carrying makes a difference in how people react. When I am carrying with my standard paddle hip holster rather than my shoulder rig I get far less strange looks. Now that its winter I generaly wear my heavy leather coat so hip holster is not an option. So I carry in my woodland digital shoulder rig.

xdmcompact

Met my brother who is a cop for lunch, he is up here for taser training. Was in St. Ann so OC was not allowed, really tired of all this different muni crap. The Taser class he was in they do not trust the officers to be armed they feel they will draw the wrong weapon, seems even the police do not trust their officers.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
. The Taser class he was in they do not trust the officers to be armed they feel they will draw the wrong weapon, seems even the police do not trust their officers.

Not a product of trust, but pretty darn good practice actually. I think you would find such practices to be standard. If you are not engaging in a live fire exercise, having loaded firearms available on the range is a big no no.

No quality trainer would allow otherwise.

usmcbess

I oc'd at Famous Footware in Eureka. The women who worked there looked pretty shook up by me ocing. I ordered a pair of Nike's. They should get here in about a week.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Walked from Pacific to Eureka today OC.

This would indeed be communities that share a border correct?

FYI I indeed live within 300 feet of Wentzville/Lake St Louis/Dardine Prarrie/ OFallon mo borders and walk my dogs through all three daily.

I LIVE in OFallon and can almost pee on Wentzville Schools, in fact the dogs do so.

I am not being a pain, I am just not totally familiar with that area and simply thought they TOUCHED.

Mo

Banned
This would indeed be communities that share a border correct?

FYI I indeed live within 300 feet of Wentzville/Lake St Louis/Dardine Prarrie/ OFallon mo borders and walk my dogs through all three daily.

I LIVE in OFallon and can almost pee on Wentzville Schools, in fact the dogs do so.

I am not being a pain, I am just not totally familiar with that area and simply thought they TOUCHED.

No. There's unincorporated St. Louis County in between the two munis south of I-44 from looking at the county boundary map. I-44 to the north is in the Wildwood city limits.