• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

HYRYSC

Had the IDPA shoot at Bear Creek Tactical in Stockton. Met some friends at McDonalds in Bolivar. Several of us were OCing, nobody said anything, but got a few interesting looks from some of the older patrons of the McD's.

Col. T

Springfield Open Carry

Yesterday I strapped on my Colt 1911 and decided to open carry for the whole day here in Springfield. I have a cc permit and really never even conceal carry. I did my morning walk with my dog around the neighbor hood. I really don’t think anyone even noticed. The mail lady was delivering my mail when I returned and walked up to her packing and she hand delivered my mail. She noticed but never said any thing.

Later I went to Starbucks on Campbell and ordered a coffee. No one said anything. I also went to auto zone. When I got out someone leaving noticed my holstered gun and asked me about it. They were more interested in seeing (buying) the gun than anything. No problem here.

I later went to Bass Pro and was asked to put a gunlock on the gun and to conceal it in a store carry case. (I thought this was kind of weird for a gun store.) After that I went to Gun Smoke pawnshop here in town. On their door a sign says to unload before you enter.

Made a trip to Republic and ate at Rocco’s Pizza. There was a bout half a dozen Republic police cars parked outside. I almost took my gun off but decided against it. So in I go packing and loaded to the gills. I am a bit nervous at this point because it looks like a cop convention in the corner or the room. But I have made a decision to stand of my constitutional right to carry my sidearm today. So, if need be I will go to jail for that cause. I walk towards them headed to a table located directly behind them. They are all conversing together and know one says anything. One cop has his wife setting next to him. I am certain she sees my gun but she never said anything. Maybe she thought I was just another cop. Maybe it was just no big deal. Anyway I finished my lunch before they did and stood up in plan site and walked right pass them and out the door. No problem here.

Went to Lowes and noticed a couple watching me but no more than that. I went to several other places in Springfield with no issue at all. All in all, I think Springfield is old school enough to not really make an issue out of open carry. I don't think most of cops here in Springfield would have a problem with open carry unless it was some young punk liberal trying to show his athority. Most older cops are just good old ozark guys that grew up here carring themselves since they were kids.

I plan to do this on occasions and record the results.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

I later went to Bass Pro and was asked to put a gunlock on the gun and to conceal it in a store carry case. (I thought this was kind of weird for a gun store.) After that I went to Gun Smoke pawnshop here in town. On their door a sign says to unload before you enter.

Welcome to OCDO - all in all a good day I'd say.

Regarding Bass Pro - someone was ill informed I believe.

1st that required you to handle your gun w/o providing a safe way to do that i.e. no unloading barrel. Surely no trigger lock was placed on a loaded gun. :uhoh:

2nd BP policy has always been to my knowledge that only guns coming in for repair or trade need be unloaded. For personal carry, they follow state law. Suggest that you follow up with the manager.

Redbaron007

Yesterday I strapped on my Colt 1911 and decided to open carry for the whole day here in Springfield. I have a cc permit and really never even conceal carry. I did my morning walk with my dog around the neighbor hood. I really don’t think anyone even noticed. The mail lady was delivering my mail when I returned and walked up to her packing and she hand delivered my mail. She noticed but never said any thing.

Later I went to Starbucks on Campbell and ordered a coffee. No one said anything. I also went to auto zone. When I got out someone leaving noticed my holstered gun and asked me about it. They were more interested in seeing (buying) the gun than anything. No problem here.

Made a trip to Republic and ate at Rocco’s Pizza. There was a bout half a dozen Republic police cars parked outside. I almost took my gun off but decided against it. So in I go packing and loaded to the gills. I am a bit nervous at this point because it looks like a cop convention in the corner or the room. But I have made a decision to stand of my constitutional right to carry my sidearm today. So, if need be I will go to jail for that cause. I walk towards them headed to a table located directly behind them. They are all conversing together and know one says anything. One cop has his wife setting next to him. I am certain she sees my gun but she never said anything. Maybe she thought I was just another cop. Maybe it was just no big deal. Anyway I finished my lunch before they did and stood up in plan site and walked right pass them and out the door. No problem here.

Went to Lowes and noticed a couple watching me but no more than that. I went to several other places in Springfield with no issue at all. All in all, I think Springfield is old school enough to not really make an issue out of open carry. I don't think most of cops here in Springfield would have a problem with open carry unless it was some young punk liberal trying to show his athority. Most older cops are just good old ozark guys that grew up here carring themselves since they were kids.

Welcome and Congrats!!

Welcome to OCDO - all in all a good day I'd say.

Regarding Bass Pro - someone was ill informed I believe.

1st that required you to handle your gun w/o providing a safe way to do that i.e. no unloading barrel. Surely no trigger lock was placed on a loaded gun. :uhoh:

2nd BP policy has always been to my knowledge that only guns coming in for repair or trade need be unloaded. For personal carry, they follow state law. Suggest that you follow up with the manager.

You are correct Grapeshot about BPS.

The unfortunate thing is they have hired several newer younger people and haven't edjucated them on the store policy for OC and CCW. Col. T, you can OC in BPS without the locks; if confronted, just asked them where is prohibits you from carrying, they will have to call their manager, then be edjucated. In addition, if you carry a firearm in something (rangebag) and they ask about firearms in it, just let them know you have nothing to declare. They are not posted at any entrance.

It was about this time last year that Loss Prevention and the store had to come to an agreement on their policies. Since then, the new folks aren't fully edjucated until they encounter a circumstance.

Keep OCing Col T; maybe I'll see you out there. :D

HighFlyingA380

Welcome!!!

Yeah, Bass Pro is still kinda screwy. As the previous posters said, the policy only relates to firearms coming in to sell or get work done, not personal SD firearms. Unfortunately, the employees usually don't understand this part of the policy. Along the same lines is the pawn shop issue. I too thought that one of my local shops also banned firearms, but then I read the small print. It too is only applicable to guns to be sold, looked at, or worked on. If it's staying in the holster, no problem. Next time you head over there, really take a look at the sign, and ask for clarification from the employees if you want. If they say they don't want any firearms to be loaded, even personal SD ones, then tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.

I know how you feel about the cops, but I have to say, I was way more nervous than you around them. A couple times I changed dinner plans or gas stations just because there was a cop car outside. I know I'm not doing anything wrong, but who knows if they will know that.

Keep up the good work spreading the OC message! I also have a CCW, but with this nice weather, it's easier and more comfortable to OC. And it helps the cause.

usmcbess

Dont call me names

Welcome!!!

Yeah, Bass Pro is still kinda screwy. As the previous posters said, the policy only relates to firearms coming in to sell or get work done, not personal SD firearms. Unfortunately, the employees usually don't understand this part of the policy. Along the same lines is the pawn shop issue. I too thought that one of my local shops also banned firearms, but then I read the small print. It too is only applicable to guns to be sold, looked at, or worked on. If it's staying in the holster, no problem. Next time you head over there, really take a look at the sign, and ask for clarification from the employees if you want. If they say they don't want any firearms to be loaded, even personal SD ones, then tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.

I know how you feel about the cops, but I have to say, I was way more nervous than you around them. A couple times I changed dinner plans or gas stations just because there was a cop car outside. I know I'm not doing anything wrong, but who knows if they will know that.

Keep up the good work spreading the OC message! I also have a CCW, but with this nice weather, it's easier and more comfortable to OC. And it helps the cause.

I am not an exhibtionist, show off, or anything like that but I make it a point to stop at places that I see police at if I need to stop or at places that have "police substation" on there door.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am not an exhibtionist, show off, or anything like that but I make it a point to stop at places that I see police at if I need to stop or at places that have "police substation" on there door.

Huh ? I don't see where he said that ? :confused:

I think that usmcbess was saying that about himself - in other words he is not seeking undue attention, but is doing his part to normalize carry by LAC.

He was not, as I read it, reflecting on another poster.

Edit: I apologize for not knowing the gender of the poster.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah I had to read that twice before I got his point. He was not saying anyone did call him names, he was requesting no one do so post his comment.

I am going to stick with calling him umcbess or bess, calling someone "names" just seems odd... think about it. Yo Names, how you wuz?

lol

Festus_Hagen

Yeah I had to read that twice before I got his point. He was not saying anyone did call him names, he was requesting no one do so post his comment.

I am going to stick with calling him umcbess or bess, calling someone "names" just seems odd... think about it. Yo Names, how you wuz?

lol
I be good. Guess I misunderstood. :lol:

BionicRooster

1st time out

OC'd for the 1st time today. Went to Thriftway Market and didn't even get a 2nd look from anyone. Went to the little gun shop where I bought my gun to pick up a spare clip, and of course they're not gonna have any problems. And after dinner, took a nice long walk around the neighborhood. I even saw a dome light on a car still on and did the nice thing by knocking on the door and letting them know.

Whether or not anyone even noticed I am unsure as they didn't react one way or the other.

So, all in all, was a pretty peaceful 1st time.

HighFlyingA380

I don't take this comment as anything more than just a reply or addition to my comment, not any name calling or anything. As long as people aren't being an exhibitionist, I think it's good to interact more with police in this manner; it helps to condition them and teach them the law, as well as shows the public who may be watching that there is nothing wrong with peacefully carrying a firearm. My comment was not against carrying in from of cops, but just that, as a newbie, I too am nervous about it.

OC'd for the 1st time today. Went to Thriftway Market and didn't even get a 2nd look from anyone. Went to the little gun shop where I bought my gun to pick up a spare clip, and of course they're not gonna have any problems. And after dinner, took a nice long walk around the neighborhood. I even saw a dome light on a car still on and did the nice thing by knocking on the door and letting them know.

Whether or not anyone even noticed I am unsure as they didn't react one way or the other.

So, all in all, was a pretty peaceful 1st time.
Yay, we got another!!! I'm sure some people did take a 2nd look, but you just didn't notice. I thought the same the first time I OCd, but then I was informed by another person person that there was a family behind me staring at my gun the whole time.

(ps: If it's a pistol, it's probably a magazine, not a clip. Sorry, but I'm kinda OCD about the mag/clip thing, but misusing the terms can really discredit you on firearms forums. What gun was it for?)

BionicRooster

Yay, we got another!!! I'm sure some people did take a 2nd look, but you just didn't notice. I thought the same the first time I OCd, but then I was informed by another person person that there was a family behind me staring at my gun the whole time.

(ps: If it's a pistol, it's probably a magazine, not a clip. Sorry, but I'm kinda OCD about the mag/clip thing, but misusing the terms can really discredit you on firearms forums. What gun was it for?)

Ok ya got me, it was a spare magazine that I picked up.

And it's just a Walther P-22.

Jim40Cal

Bass Pro Shop and Sunfresh is the only place I have had trouble with in Independence. Needless to say I do not go there anymore. Thriftway and Apple Market could care less. Ryan's is a good place to eat also and they also could care less. Stay away from Independence Center...

usmcbess

lol

YEah thats what I was gettin at.

jimogden

Bass Pro Shop and Sunfresh is the only place I have had trouble with in Independence. Needless to say I do not go there anymore. Thriftway and Apple Market could care less. Ryan's is a good place to eat also and they also could care less. Stay away from Independence Center...

What happened at bass pro in indep? I've never open carried but have been planning on starting. I go there often and would like to know what to expect if I decide to oc there.

Jim40Cal

They took my gun which I will never allow again and put a lock on it. Then of course it wouldn't fit in my holster so I hand carried it for most of the time I was in the store.
Now how dumb was that? Not to mention when I left I told them I'd take my money else where and have never been back.....

BionicRooster

What's the big deal anyways?

I've seen CC'ers talk about the 'WalMart Walk', like it's a right of passage or something. Really?!?

I just got back from WallyWorld, and hafta say, it went rather smoothly. I went in to pick up some CCI MiniMags, so I had to walk all the way to the back of the store, passing many employees along the way.

The associate working the sporting goods dept. was stocking shelves in the aisle where ammunition is located, and I was browsing other calibers to see what I was in for when I move up to a larger gun for a few minutes while she was working, on my strong side of course. After purchasing my ammo, I decided to walk around a little more, I spend at least 30 minutes, but not quite 45 total, walking around.

As I was walking towards the exit, I passed within 5ft of KC's finest, notice his eyes go straight to my hip, and when we made eye contact, I gave him a "greeting" nod.

I exited the store, and came home, nobody said a thing, and I know for a fact multiple people saw it, including an officer!

One funny note, walking though the electronics section, I was about to get cut-off by a rather thuggish looking older teen, and he stopped dead in his tracks when he spotted my firearm. I laughed on the inside :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've seen CC'ers talk about the 'WalMart Walk', like it's a right of passage or something. Really?!?

I just got back from WallyWorld, and hafta say, it went rather smoothly. I went in to pick up some CCI MiniMags, so I had to walk all the way to the back of the store, passing many employees along the way.

The associate working the sporting goods dept. was stocking shelves in the aisle where ammunition is located, and I was browsing other calibers to see what I was in for when I move up to a larger gun for a few minutes while she was working, on my strong side of course. After purchasing my ammo, I decided to walk around a little more, I spend at least 30 minutes, but not quite 45 total, walking around.

As I was walking towards the exit, I passed within 5ft of KC's finest, notice his eyes go straight to my hip, and when we made eye contact, I gave him a "greeting" nod.

I exited the store, and came home, nobody said a thing, and I know for a fact multiple people saw it, including an officer!

One funny note, walking though the electronics section, I was about to get cut-off by a rather thuggish looking older teen, and he stopped dead in his tracks when he spotted my firearm. I laughed on the inside :)

Categorically an armed society is a polite society.

CCing a Wally World walk is like sneaking a sip of your dad's beer - doesn't count unless he sees it. :lol: