• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

jimogden

They took my gun which I will never allow again and put a lock on it. Then of course it wouldn't fit in my holster so I hand carried it for most of the time I was in the store.
Now how dumb was that? Not to mention when I left I told them I'd take my money else where and have never been back.....

Wow, the main reason I go most of the time is to use the range. I cc and when I walk in with a box of ammo, glasses, and ear plugs they think nothing of it. Even ask if I conceal carry when they put their little sticker on the stuff I bring in. I thought of all places bass pro would be pro carry

Redbaron007

Wow, the main reason I go most of the time is to use the range. I cc and when I walk in with a box of ammo, glasses, and ear plugs they think nothing of it. Even ask if I conceal carry when they put their little sticker on the stuff I bring in. I thought of all places bass pro would be pro carry

BPS is pro carry; unfortunately, their employees aren't always edjucated on the cumny policy. As long as the city doesn't prohibit OC, Bass Pro won't either. If your are stopped again, just ask for the manager and where is it posted you can't OC. Their corporate policy is gun friendly, allowing OC and CCW. The only exception is they want a gun coming in for repair to secure it.

Enjoy OCing!

Marc

Ok this thread seems to be falling almost off the first page. Can we get an admin to sticky it maybe? Any way my day went as always carried at work and to the gas station in the ghetto, no problems. An officer who is well acquainted with me also stopped and spoke with me at my place of business, her only comment was "I see you're still carrying the .380" which i replied "yes because i have no time to get to the range this is the biggest caliber i feel comfortable shooting if i need to use it when other people are present. I know i can hit the target and the Critical Defense rounds in it will not overpenetrate." She then continued about what she wanted to know on something else, then went on her way. Just a normal typical day for me. (of course it was none of her business so she didnt even know that i also had my PF9 in my pocket;) my business to know not hers)

usmcbess

Oc'd at Buffalo Wild Wings in Ballwin today with my best friend and his son. Food was great!
Now hat I know Ballwinnis OC friendly I will carry every time we go there. I also went to castlewood state park in ballwin earlier in the week but didnt OC because I wasnt sure about there ordinances. Its a great OC friendly park and I will be going back soon!

mspgunner

Oc'd at Buffalo Wild Wings in Ballwin today with my best friend and his son. Food was great!
Now hat I know Ballwinnis OC friendly I will carry every time we go there. I also went to castlewood state park in ballwin earlier in the week but didnt OC because I wasnt sure about there ordinances. Its a great OC friendly park and I will be going back soon!

If Castlewood State Park is in Ballwin (?) OC is OK. Assuming Ballwin is OC OK?
ALL Missouri State PArks are OC legal, Missouri is an OC legal State. The only problem coem into play where the State Park is within the City limits of a municipality which prohibits OC - Such is the case with Babler State Park in Wildwood... Don't get me started on this!

Heck OC is even legal on National Park Service Property such as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Except the Arch grounds are within the City Limits of the City of St. Louis so OC is not legal on ther Arch Grounds. Funny (NOT) how local laws can even trump federal regulations.

IT'S MISSOURI 2A LAWS AT WORK!

usmcbess

If Castlewood State Park is in Ballwin (?) OC is OK. Assuming Ballwin is OC OK?
ALL Missouri State PArks are OC legal, Missouri is an OC legal State. The only problem coem into play where the State Park is within the City limits of a municipality which prohibits OC - Such is the case with Babler State Park in Wildwood... Don't get me started on this!

Heck OC is even legal on National Park Service Property such as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Except the Arch grounds are within the City Limits of the City of St. Louis so OC is not legal on ther Arch Grounds. Funny (NOT) how local laws can even trump federal regulations.

IT'S MISSOURI 2A LAWS AT WORK!

Now Marc have you gotten this info from an attorney or is this just the conclusion that you have come to through personal research and study.

mspgunner

Now Marc have you gotten this info from an attorney or is this just the conclusion that you have come to through personal research and study.

OC is legal in MO. State Parks - from the State Park commanding Officer - Jefferson City MO.
Babler State Park - Information from Wildwood Police.
NPS Property - The Federal Register

Ballwin/ Castlewood State Park - check local laws always!

jimogden

I open carried for the first time yesterday, felt weird at fist but that didn't last long. Started out at dicks sporting goods in lees summit and nobody noticed or didn't seem to anyway. Same with walmart on 39th st in independence. The only person who seemed to notice was the guy at the gas station by walmart in blue springs. I was carrying a springfield 1911, he asked if it was a colt and I told him what it was. We talked for a couple minutes and I was on my way. I did kind of feel like I was doing something wrong when there were kids around though, I'm guessing that feeling will pass as I get used to open carrying. All in all it was a pretty good day.

jimogden

That is one of the biggest reasons that I open carry...for the sake of the children. Well, my child anyway...but I would protect others as well.

i would too without a doubt. theres people out there though that may not want firearms around their children though and thats their right to feel that way. but at the same time theyre in a public place. it wont make me not carry but it was on my mind. i wont take my gun into a friends house that has kids unless i know theyre ok with it. most are but some would rather i didnt. its just a matter of respect.

Redbaron007

OC'd today at Panera Bread, then the new HyVee here. Got several second glances at the HyVee; but no confrontations.

kylemoul

Indeed. Respect your friends and/or family's personal property. I have asked my family if they are ok with it and ask my friends before I set foot in their home.

However public is public. The people who get upset about their children being around firearms may be the same people who allow their kids to watch firearm violence on television or let them play video games with firearm violence. Either way that burden is not on you at all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have to admit that I have never asked a friend, family or anyone else if it was OK with them if I carry. Not in their home, their place of business or even at their wedding (yes sir I carried there) but was admittedly CCing in all cases when I knew they that would be uncomfortable.

I don't feel that I was showing them any disrespect either. I wasn't "in their face", I was just myself. As it became known over time as things happen, I was asked once or twice if I would consider not bringing "it". Politely said that I never go without it and explained why. In both cases I was told they guessed it would be alright if I kept it covered. Now some years later, I OC with these same people as they have been acclimated - I no longer CC except at weddings and funerals.

Speaking of funerals, at one such recently I was asked rhetorically if I was carrying - replied of course and was treated to a glimpse of his Glock .40 - one of my better pupils....my son. He told me there were two more of his friends there so dressed.

xdmcompact

Went to the gun show in St. Charles today, was wearing my Open Carry T shirt. After the show we ended up at Smash Burger for some lunch, my father in law had never been there. Good food and OC friendly.
050.jpg

Last edited:

Jim40Cal

Went to Apple market on 24 across from William Christman High School. There always friendly. Later on went to Walmart on 39 & Bolger. Never carried there before but when wife and I was walking in a cop was standing at the door. I passed him again while in the store and all he did was look at me, nothing else...I find most places are friendly in Independence...

usmcbess

OC is legal in MO. State Parks - from the State Park commanding Officer - Jefferson City MO.
Babler State Park - Information from Wildwood Police.
NPS Property - The Federal Register

Ballwin/ Castlewood State Park - check local laws always!

Do you have the contact info for the Sate Park CO? I would like to ask him about Babler. It just doesnt seem right that a local muni would have jurisdiction over a STATE park. Although we do live in 21st century America where the constitution has been thrown out the window.
What is the federal register? can you help me out with a link to the paperwork that prohibits OC on federal grounds?

mspgunner

Do you have the contact info for the Sate Park CO? I would like to ask him about Babler. It just doesnt seem right that a local muni would have jurisdiction over a STATE park. Although we do live in 21st century America where the constitution has been thrown out the window.
What is the federal register? can you help me out with a link to the paperwork that prohibits OC on federal grounds?

Wildwood:
9. It shall be unlawful for any person carrying a firearm, air gun, archery device or crossbow to knowingly enter or go upon the premises or property of another, or to fire or discharge any firearm, air gun or archery device while on the premises or property of another without first having obtained the written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of such premises or property. The duly obtained written permission shall be carried in the personal possession of the person requesting and receiving such permission. This Subsection shall not apply to a person carrying, firing or discharging any firearm, air gun, archery device or crossbow while in the immediate presence of the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property or premises, or to the entry upon the premises for the sole purpose of obtaining written permission of the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property. This Subsection shall also not apply to a person with the sole purpose of carrying a concealed firearm and who is otherwise in compliance with Chapter 571, RSMo., regarding concealed carry endorsements.

Wildwood Police:
This question has come up before. It is part of our mission to protect all Constitutional rights, including the right to bear arms. And, exceptions for the concealed carry provisions of Missouri statutes are built into the Wildwood ordinance dealing with firearms. However, Wildwood ordinance does not allow exposed carry except on property owned by the person carrying the firearm or, if on the property of someone else, with written permission from the property owner. In other words, if someone were wanting to carry a firearm exposed at Dierbergs, Subway or the Wildwood City Council, written permission would have to be obtained from the property owner (or someone with authority to give the permission). The same ordinance applies to firearms for hunting or self-defence, when referring to exposed carry. State statute authorizes the City of Wildwood to enact legislation concerning exposed firearms. Obviously, state law governs concealed carry.

I have not provided the law citations, but would be happy to provide that information if you want the individual statutes and ordinances. Please let me know if you need more information or if you have additional questions.

Brad Wood
Neighborhood Policing Officer
Wildwood Precinct
St. Louis County Police Department
636-458-9194
--------------
More Poice:
Me,
The ordinance/law comes from the City of Wildwood and we are tasked with enforcing it. My response was not taken from a particular opinion, but from the text of the law. I hope this helps.
As I mentioned, it doesn’t prohibit but identifies the requirement to do so.
I have found even though, through the email you provided from Major Hoover, the state does not regulate open carry within their parks. However, since the park falls within the city limits of Wildwood; Wildwood Ordinances do apply. Under Wildwood Ordinance, more specifically section 210.220, you may carry openly however; each individual wishing to do so, must first obtain written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of the premise. This document must be carried on their person at all times when on the property. It is also the discretion of the landowner to limit what type of firearm can be carried and must be identified in the letter. Ones failure to comply with this does constitute a violation and are subject to prosecution and seizure of their weapon.
Sgt. Jim Molden
Watch Supervisor \ Wildwood Precinct \ 17014 New College Ave. \ Wildwood MO 63040 \ Station 636-458-9194 \ Fax 636-458-4839

---------------------

From The Missouri State Parks Ranger (Jefferson City):
NOTE: The State of Misosuri is OK with OC, it is the City of Wildwood which can prohibit OC because it is their City limits.
Want ot fight it? OC in Babler, call the police on yourself and fight it in court, that is what will happen.

I received your e-mail concerning concealed and open carry of firearms in Missouri State Parks. Thank you for your interest in Missouri State Parks and your desire to comply with park rules, regulations and state statutes.

Concealed carry is permitted in Missouri State Parks with the possession of a valid concealed carry permit.
Open carry is also legal in Missouri State Parks; however, it is a violation of state law to carry a weapon, either concealed or open carry, into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal or state government (i.e., park office, visitor center, etc.).

Again, thank you for your interest in Missouri State Parks. Please let me know if you have additional questions, or if I can be of further service.

Sincerely,

John P. Hoover, Major
Division of State Parks
Park Ranger Program
573-751-5358
john.hoover@dnr.mo.gov

mspgunner

I can help you out with National Parks. According to Federal law, only States have the authority to regulate firearms in National Parks located within their borders, not municipalities:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/16/1a-7b

(b) Protecting the right of individuals to bear arms in units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if—
(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and
(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

Thanks, great post. You can CCW at the Arch grounds, but yo ucannot open carry because of the laws of the City of St. Louis which prohibits OC and the Arch grounds even though NPS property is within the City of St. Louis.