• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

mspgunner

HOWEVER, the Federal government has not granted authority to the City of St. Louis to regulate firearms on Federal property. NPS land is Federal property. The Federal government has only granted the authority to regulate firearms on Federal property to the state government.

I understand that, but I can promise you wil have to explain (or try to explain) this to a st. Louis Circut Court judge. They will not be very understanding.

If some one has the lawyer bucks.... I would love to see the outcome!

Whats right is not always what coem to pass.

I'd like to be there to watch.....
I am not suggesting, nor encouraging anyone to violate State or federal laws!

HighFlyingA380

The other night I was hangin' at a buddies place across town (they were drinking, I only had one beer the whole night), and they decided to go to the bars at midnight for one of their 21st birthdays. Since I was carrying, and was flying the next morning (eight hours from bottle to throttle), I decided to head home. I rode to the bar with them, and walked the remainder. (Shortened my walk from 2.5 miles to .75 miles) About half way, I heard people behind me, like on a porch or something, start yelling and making a ruckus. I glanced back, and saw several (I think about 5-7) people running towards me. As they got closer, I heard them yelling things such as, "Hey motherf**ker, pay me the 500 bucks you owe!!!" and "If he don't have it, beat it out of him!!!" I knew I don't owe anybody money, so I did a quick threat scan to see if there was somebody else around, or across the street in line with me. Nobody around. At this point I figure they think I'm somebody else. At this point they are probably about 40-50 ft. from me, kinda in a slow jog, not full speed sprint. I noticed a few of them holding some objects (what I found out soon was that they were beer bottles), and made the decision to draw, simultaneously yell for the them to stop, or I will use deadly force. They stopped in an instant, and threw their arms up, about 20 ft. from me. They apologized profusely, saying I looked like somebody else, and thanked me for not shooting. I gave them a bit of a lecture on not trying to be such a harda$$ and to deal with these matters in a more civilized manner.

Looking back on the whole situation, I feel there's really not any other option I had but to do what I did. I'm just thankful they were loud and basically gave me some prior warning. If they would have tried to sneak up and jump me, I probably would have ended up firing, which would have been bad news for all involved. One thing I will take away from this is that I (and everybody else too) should really practice Tueller drills, which I have been putting off for a while. Although my draw speed was sufficient in this case, if the range was shortened to 20-30 ft, it would not be. Those will be the focus of my next few range tips.

PS: I have to give a shout-out to TruGlo TFO tritrium night sights. It was a dimly lit street, and I could see those dots glowing clear as day. I know there is no way I would be ale to see the stock sights in that light.

Last edited:

Oramac

The other night I was hangin' at a buddies place across town (they were drinking, I only had one beer the whole night), and they decided to go to the bars at midnight for one of their 21st birthdays. Since I was carrying, and was flying the next morning (eight hours from bottle to throttle), I decided to head home. I rode to the bar with them, and walked the remainder. (Shortened my walk from 2.5 miles to .75 miles) About half way, I heard people on a porch start yelling and making a ruckus. I glanced back, and saw several people running from the porch towards me. As they got closer, I heard them yelling things such as, "Hey motherf**ker, pay me the 500 bucks you owe!!!" and "If he don't have it, beat it out of him!!!" I knew I don't owe anybody money, so I did a quick scan to see if there was somebody else around, or across the street in line with me. Nobody around. At this point I figure they think I'm somebody else. At this point they are probably about 40-50 ft. from me, kinda in a slow jog, not full speed sprint. At this point I make the decision to draw, simultaneously yell for the them to stop, or I will use deadly force. They stopped in an instant, and threw their arms up, about 20 ft. from me. I didn't get a full draw on them, but what I call a low-ready, where the aim point is about halfway up to the target, and held there. They apologized profusely, saying I looked like somebody else, and thanked me for not shooting. I gave them a bit of a lecture on not trying to be such a harda$$ and to deal with these matters in a more civilized manner.

Looking back on the whole situation, I feel there's really not any other option I had but to do what I did. I'm just thankful they were loud and basically gave me some prior warning. If they would have tried to sneak up and jump me, I probably would have ended up firing, which would have been bad news for all involved. One thing I will take away from this is that I (and everybody else too) should really practice Tueller drills, which I have been putting off for a while. Although my draw speed was sufficient in this case, if the range was shortened to 20-30 ft, it would not be. Those will be the focus of my next few range tips.

PS: I have to give a shout-out to TruGlo TFO tritrium night sights. It was a dimly lit street, and I could see those dots glowing clear as day. I know there is no way I would be ale to see the stock sights in that light.

Sounds pretty rough. Glad it turned out ok for everyone. I've got to agree about the Tueller Drills. I never knew they had an official name, but I've practiced them from time to time before. I feel like I need more practice now though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The other night I was hangin' at a buddies place across town (they were drinking, I only had one beer the whole night), and they decided to go to the bars at midnight for one of their 21st birthdays. Since I was carrying, and was flying the next morning (eight hours from bottle to throttle), I decided to head home. I rode to the bar with them, and walked the remainder. (Shortened my walk from 2.5 miles to .75 miles) About half way, I heard people on a porch start yelling and making a ruckus. I glanced back, and saw several people running from the porch towards me. As they got closer, I heard them yelling things such as, "Hey motherf**ker, pay me the 500 bucks you owe!!!" and "If he don't have it, beat it out of him!!!" I knew I don't owe anybody money, so I did a quick scan to see if there was somebody else around, or across the street in line with me. Nobody around. At this point I figure they think I'm somebody else. At this point they are probably about 40-50 ft. from me, kinda in a slow jog, not full speed sprint. At this point I make the decision to draw, simultaneously yell for the them to stop, or I will use deadly force. They stopped in an instant, and threw their arms up, about 20 ft. from me. I didn't get a full draw on them, but what I call a low-ready, where the aim point is about halfway up to the target, and held there. They apologized profusely, saying I looked like somebody else, and thanked me for not shooting. I gave them a bit of a lecture on not trying to be such a harda$$ and to deal with these matters in a more civilized manner.

May we presume that you called the local constabulary? Can't imagine walking away from there with numerous witnesses who could all claim that I threatened deadly force for [fill in the blank innocent reason.] Another good argument for having a recorder running at all times.

HighFlyingA380

Sounds pretty rough. Glad it turned out ok for everyone. I've got to agree about the Tueller Drills. I never knew they had an official name, but I've practiced them from time to time before. I feel like I need more practice now though.
Same here, I just recently learned the name. I have done a lot of drawing on a target behind me, but never with it moving towards me at the same time, just static. Time to get some movement involved. (Also, most people use the B-27 target for these drills. I, for one, use B-29 targets, which are smaller. I figure I'll get better practicing on a target half the size of real-life, so when it happens it will look like a gigantic target.)

May we presume that you called the local constabulary? Can't imagine walking away from there with numerous witnesses who could all claim that I threatened deadly force for [fill in the blank innocent reason.] Another good argument for having a recorder running at all times.
No, I didn't. Most people I have consulted about this type of thing suggest not getting them involved. I'm of that mindset too. If there wasn't any shots fired, I'd prefer to just settle it between ourselves and not get involved with all that mess.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

--snip--

No, I didn't. Most people I have consulted about this type of thing suggest not getting them involved. I'm of that mindset too. If there wasn't any shots fired, I'd prefer to just settle it between ourselves and not get involved with all that mess.

Usually the first person to make the call starts out with the upper hand. I'd much rather be a victim and demonstrate that I acted responsibly, than have to defend against possible charges. Council has given similar advice.

Firm believer in CYA as much as possible - the price is small, the benefits large.

BionicRooster

My 1st LEO "issue"

Last night I went for a fountain drink down at Quik-Trip. 1st thing I notice upon pulling in is the police cruiser parked in the lot. I didn't think anything of it, as I go there daily and have never had any issues.

I park, enter, and greet the cashiers as I walk by and head towards the drink fountains. I notice one LEO getting coffee on my way.

I get my drink and walk up to the counter. I paid for it, and as I was putting the change in my pocket and in the motion of turning to exit, I hear the cashier say, "No, we don't have any policy against it."

I get turned and notice that 2 officers were directly behind me, and apparently asked the cashier about my firearm before confronting me.

Kudos to the cashier for saying that, but "Boo!" to the officer that looked to be fishing for a reason to approach me.

Nothing was ever said to me, I just nodded and walked on by the officers, and left.

I guess it could have gone way worse.

Jim40Cal

Bionic, I have a letter I received from my councilman about three years ago having discussed open carry with the Chief of Police and City Counselor. I had a run in with a Independence police officer who said he would take my gun and put me in jail if he caught me open carrying. I will share it with you and you can make a copy if you'd like to meet sometime. And which Q.T. was it?

Last edited:

BionicRooster

Bionic, I have a letter I received from my councilman about three years ago having discussed open carry with the Chief of Police and City Counselor. I had a run in with a Independence police officer who said he would take my gun and put me in jail if he caught me open carrying. I will share it with you and you can make a copy if you'd like to meet sometime. And whic Q.T. was it?

I would gladly meet to get a copy, as I suspect it could come in handy.

It was the QT in Independence, on Noland Rd. & 23rd St.