• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

WCEarp

Welcome to the group Hank. Glad your first trip out was a good one.

From one Vet to another, people will notice the same way as if you were in uniform. Most won't notice, some will look and then go about their business, even fewer will repeatedly look at you or nudge their buddy to point you out, and rarely someone will even say something (usually positive or inquisitive).

Hopefully, your wife will be like mine and start to forget you even have it on. Or better yet be like mine and decide to get a gun and ccw permit for her own protection.

In keeping with the thread: Ate dinner with the family at Cheddar's near Bass Pro in Independence. Sat at the high top tables near the bar, which was a high traffic area for the wait staff. Non-event meal.

TRuch2010

New to here

I'm new to this sight just bought my first pistol about a month ago. I found out last week that oc is legal in Missouri and that the cities around me have no laws on it. So far I have only oc in my neighbor hood and in my grandparents neighborhood. I'm unsure of the proper way to handle any contact about me oc. I was wanting to see who had any advice for me I live in Raymore, Mo.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263

states you can open carry in a car with out a permit

That is a good, simple reference but can be misleading to a novice.

Read again what the summary states, and note that it is not a legal cite:

"While open carry is generally legal in Missouri, their preemption statute is unique in that it preempts the entire field of firearms law except for the regulation of open carry. Consequently, carrying openly in Missouri will expose you to a checkerboard of local ordinances."

TRuch2010

Today I opened carried at Casey's in Raymore than around holiday lakes in Odessa, nothing eventful had one person take a double take at Casey's and that is all. Oh my dad laughed at me and said it looked funny and my daughter said she was embarrassed. I guess embarrassing my daughter was all in a days work lol.

JEStucker

Greetings.

This is my first post over here, Marc knows me from some other boards and Facebook, and I'm getting to know Oramac on a few other sites as well.

I'm primarily a CCW'er, but I've been experimenting with OC from time to time. Inevitably everything goes smooth, except when I'm running a few errands, am actually in a hurry, and then I end up playing Q&A with someone that didn't know it's perfectly legal in Independence. They're never scared or intimidated (at least they don't act it) but they always have questions, which I usually try and answer to the best of my ability, but this only seems to happen when I have a deadline to meet or an appointment to keep. If I'm just out killing time, wandering stores, no one notices or if they do, they don't say anything (at least not to me.) I'm just glad I was directed here, this is another great resource to add to my favorites list.

Jim40Cal

Greetings.

This is my first post over here, Marc knows me from some other boards and Facebook, and I'm getting to know Oramac on a few other sites as well.

I'm primarily a CCW'er, but I've been experimenting with OC from time to time. Inevitably everything goes smooth, except when I'm running a few errands, am actually in a hurry, and then I end up playing Q&A with someone that didn't know it's perfectly legal in Independence. They're never scared or intimidated (at least they don't act it) but they always have questions, which I usually try and answer to the best of my ability, but this only seems to happen when I have a deadline to meet or an appointment to keep. If I'm just out killing time, wandering stores, no one notices or if they do, they don't say anything (at least not to me.) I'm just glad I was directed here, this is another great resource to add to my favorites list.

I carry all over Independence an only once had a problem at Sunfresh on 24 hiway. That was before they changed hands also.

Oramac

Greetings.

Glad to have you, and good to meet you!

Redbaron007

Greetings.

Just sayin....you will be judged by those who you hang with! LOL!!

pmccurjr

I have only recently started open carrying and only have to nerve to do so in stores I frequent most often. I have been a customer of a 7-11 in independence for over a decade and to my surprise the first time I carried in there I was asked to leave my firearm in the car by the gentleman that has worked the register for at least the last 4 years as well as helped me most mornings I buy my coffee. I simply stated that there wasn't a posted sign on the door. He then said he didn't allow weapons in the store so I told him to have a good one and went to the conoco across the street.

Oramac

I have only recently started open carrying and only have to nerve to do so in stores I frequent most often. I have been a customer of a 7-11 in independence for over a decade and to my surprise the first time I carried in there I was asked to leave my firearm in the car by the gentleman that has worked the register for at least the last 4 years as well as helped me most mornings I buy my coffee. I simply stated that there wasn't a posted sign on the door. He then said he didn't allow weapons in the store so I told him to have a good one and went to the conoco across the street.

That's unfortunate. You might talk to the manager and let him know you were a regular, but if their policy is no guns, you'll take your business elsewhere. I've heard of a few places reversing policy when they realize there's money to be lost if they don't.

OT: OC'd at a QT in Lake St Louis getting gas. No issues, as usual.

poolmanjim

Hello, I have been lurking for awhile now and finally decided to open carry outside my house tonight. I live in KC, Missouri and tend to cross the state line for work and all. There are a few municipalities that outlaw open carry so I'm rather limited in my "range." However, today was one of those days when I was 100% on the MO side.

Went into CVS to return a redbox movie and to pick up some stuff. Got a couple of eyeballs at my SR40 on my hip, but no one said a word. Hopefully future experiences go as well as this one.

logunowner

I have been open carrying for several months without issue. I carry in Lake Ozark, Osage Beach, Olathe, KS....many other places. But I was glad I paid attention to my surroundings when I was in Monett, Mo. I thought I had better call the local Police station to check if there was an ordinance against open carry. And low and behold there was. So a word to the wise, until HB 436 becomes law, make sure the city you are in Missouri does not have a local ordinance against open carry.

Boba Fett

Today I met with my pastor and a couple others from my church at Hibachi Grill in Springfield. I've OC'd there before and all went well. We ended up talking a little bit about carry laws and such. Awesome food. And they bought me lunch. My church family is so great. :)

Next I went across the street to Walmart to get a bottle of shampoo and a Minecraft gift card for my friend's birthday. Had a couple people who noticed, the clerk in the game section seemed really cheerful and helped me find what I needed. Went to check out and the elderly lady said "That's a pretty green shirt you have on!" (Propper ICE polo in OD). I said thanks and told her it was expensive. lol

On the way home I stopped by my bank, and went through the drive through. The teller told me I'd have to come inside (I wanted to get change for a bunch of coins).
My bank has a "No Weapons" sign, and I've talked to them about it like a year ago. They told me to just use the drive-through. Also, the City Of Fair Grove used to have open carry with a CCW, but they changed a law and knocked the weapons offenses section out of order and now there's a goofy exemption saying you can carry in a school and no exemption for CCW holders (they weren't paying attention when they changed it and didn't update the exemption section. Cops can't technically open carry now. lol).
Since the city code uses the words "readily capable of lethal use," I unloaded my Glock, locked the slide and holstered it. On the way into the bank and towards the counter, like 3 people greeted me, and the lady took my coins and had bills for them in like 15 seconds (same lady I discussed the gun sign with a year ago). The lady that was running the drive through window came over and said "Sorry we couldn't do the change counter through the window." I said, "That's fine." Walked out, got in my car, reloaded and went home. :)

Pretty good day and an interesting little interaction at my bank (first time I went inside in over a year). Loyal customer for like 10 years now. I still get a free account with them thanks to my mother. haha

Last edited: