• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

havegunwilltravel

Pleasantly Suprised

Started off the open carry evening at big frogs tshirt shop (kansas city, mo), then harbor freight (gladstone, mo), then Dickys barbarque (kansas city, mo), then Orsheln's farm store (kearney, mo). Only saw one LEO at dickys barbarque (kansas city, mo) brief eye contact no contact beyond that. Doing it again tonight. Highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Started off the open carry evening at big frogs tshirt shop (kansas city, mo), then harbor freight (gladstone, mo), then Dickys barbarque (kansas city, mo), then Orsheln's farm store (kearney, mo). Only saw one LEO at dickys barbarque (kansas city, mo) brief eye contact no contact beyond that. Doing it again tonight. Highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone.
You seem fairly comfortable with it. :)

kcgunfan

While I don't think you were actually in Gladstone for the Harbour Freight trip, I will go ahead and inform you that OC is illegal in Gladstone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

logunowner

Not so good...Open Carry in Kansas Today

In Lenexa, Ks today visiting my daughter. Went to GoodYear on Stevenson, got to the door and saw the "sign". I needed to pick up my daughters car so I put my weapon in the car. After I finished my business I told the Manager I wish he was more 2nd Amendment friendly and he said it was the corporate owned stores. They have had 7 robberies and he was told to put up the sign. I said that will stop them, or if they are robbed the bad guy will leave his gun in his car.....unbelievable.

Went on to Nebraska Furniture Mart. Walked in the door, open carrying and exchanged hellos with the guard. About 15 minutes later two plain clothes guys come up and introduce themselves and tell me open carry is not allowed in side the store. I said there is no sign and I walked right by the guard and he didn't say a word. They said he is the one that called them. They asked to see my Concealed Carry Permit, I hesitated but my granddaughter was with me so I showed him. If she wasn't there I don't think I would have showed them. I pull out my shirt and everyone went on their way. I told them it would be nice if they put up a sign indicating no open carry.

Did I need to show them my Concealed Carry Permit?????

mspgunner

Probably a better question on the KS OC site.
In Lenexa, Ks today visiting my daughter. Went to GoodYear on Stevenson, got to the door and saw the "sign". I needed to pick up my daughters car so I put my weapon in the car. After I finished my business I told the Manager I wish he was more 2nd Amendment friendly and he said it was the corporate owned stores. They have had 7 robberies and he was told to put up the sign. I said that will stop them, or if they are robbed the bad guy will leave his gun in his car.....unbelievable.

Went on to Nebraska Furniture Mart. Walked in the door, open carrying and exchanged hellos with the guard. About 15 minutes later two plain clothes guys come up and introduce themselves and tell me open carry is not allowed in side the store. I said there is no sign and I walked right by the guard and he didn't say a word. They said he is the one that called them. They asked to see my Concealed Carry Permit, I hesitated but my granddaughter was with me so I showed him. If she wasn't there I don't think I would have showed them. I pull out my shirt and everyone went on their way. I told them it would be nice if they put up a sign indicating no open carry.

Did I need to show them my Concealed Carry Permit?????

kcgunfan

If you carried in NFM, you were in KCK, just be happy you weren't arrested, it's still illegal there.

logunowner

If you carried in NFM, you were in KCK, just be happy you weren't arrested, it's still illegal there.

After looking into your response that it is illegal to open carry in KCK, I believe that you might be mistaken. Other people on different forums are of the opinion that you can open carry legally in the entire state as long as the weapon is secured on your person. Any one else have any thoughts? Thanks

Oramac

After looking into your response that it is illegal to open carry in KCK, I believe that you might be mistaken. Other people on different forums are of the opinion that you can open carry legally in the entire state as long as the weapon is secured on your person. Any one else have any thoughts? Thanks

IANAL. That being said, don't just ask others for thoughts. Read the law. Ask a lawyer. Preferably both. People's opinions have a nasty habit of being incorrect more often than one might suspect.

kcgunfan

I would definitely get all your legal advice from forums. That way, when you are arrested, you simply tell the judge that bebop1279 at www.supersmartgunguys.com said it was legal, and you should be have the charges dropped as a result. Let us all know how that works out for you.

Since I'm feeling nice today, here's what you need to know about KCK.

Section 22-177 (a)(4) clearly bans open carry:

"Carrying or possessing any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle or other firearm on the person except when on the person's land or in the person's own abode or fixed place of business or office."

If you violate this section, here's the penalty:

"No person shall unlawfully use weapons as defined herein. Any person unlawfully using weapons, as defined herein, shall, upon conviction thereof, be deemed guilty of a class A violation. In addition to the penalty for the violation of this section, it shall be the duty of the municipal judge to order such weapon to be forfeited to the unified government. The same shall be destroyed, retained for use by the police department or sold by the chief of police whenever the weapon is no longer needed for evidence."

There are some exceptions later, notably section (e) for mere mortals, which provides an exception for licensed concealed carry, but none of them are relevant to open carry.

You may read the code for yourself here: http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=13488&jobId=192175&docID=0

The people on the other forums might be referring to this. The Attorney General of Kansas has offered up a non-binding opinion that says that political subdivisions may regulate the manner of open carry, but not whether or not you may open carry. Based off of that, some cities have changed there open carry ordinances, but not all of them. Kansas City/Wyandotte county is one of those. The sheriff and Police Chief have both stated their opposition to open carry in no uncertain terms. If you want to know more about that opinion, you can read it here, http://www.kansas.com/2012/10/06/2516872/weight-of-attorney-generals-opinion.html

If this is something that you feel confident hanging your hat on, it's certainly not my place to tell you otherwise. At the end of the day, what you do is your decision, so pick wisely.

Jason Castillo

Red Robin in Independence... along with about 10 others, it was a good lunch, pictures were taken, I'm sure they'll be posted in a few hours.

I was there! After the meeting, I went to dinner with my wife and her mother, and was stopped twice before entering. One man thanked me for OC'ING, because he did the same. He had never heard about this site so I gave him a card referring him here. (Generously given to me by one of the guys at that meet,sorry I'm bad with names.) And the other guy stated "I'm glad you are here, I just wish there were more people like you, so that thing in the theatre wouldn't have happened." After that I went to a grocery store here in independence, and had 3 people tell my wife and I " thank you" and "I'm glad you are here" and " you are my hero" ( because my wife and I were both OC'ING.) It felt good to have people thank me for just being around...

JEStucker

I was there! After the meeting, I went to dinner with my wife and her mother, and was stopped twice before entering. One man thanked me for OC'ING, because he did the same. He had never heard about this site so I gave him a card referring him here. (Generously given to me by one of the guys at that meet,sorry I'm bad with names.) And the other guy stated "I'm glad you are here, I just wish there were more people like you, so that thing in the theatre wouldn't have happened." After that I went to a grocery store here in independence, and had 3 people tell my wife and I " thank you" and "I'm glad you are here" and " you are my hero" ( because my wife and I were both OC'ING.) It felt good to have people thank me for just being around...

Much better reaction than "Oh my Gosh! A man with a gun, dial 911, we're all gunna die!" that seems to be the norm in a lot of areas...

Mykhael

Longhorn steakhouse south Springfield, Mo. no problems at all. Few eye contacts, one waiter (guy) asked me what type gun I was carrying. Mentioned the website as well for him to check out.

Redbaron007

After leaving church yesterday (Sunday), had to make a couple of stops on the way home; the last stop was Walgreens...OCd. The lady in the pharmacy told me, "detective, have a good day". I guess being dressed in dress slacks, shirt and tie with a pistola on my side equates to being a detective. I did correct her...I'm not a detective. :lol:

mpurcell75

OC

Hello everyone been OCing for a wile now just decided to sign up. Open carried into Rhods gas station, Little Caesars, and Store 24 gas station, Scott City MO, Jackson MO. No issues, people around here mind their own and really dont care to much. But the manager at Caesars was very interested in my Rock Island Armory 1911 45 and more interested in the ability to open carry his own firearm.