Thread: Age requirment

Age requirment

I am 19 years old and have a valid permit from North Dakota which is recognized in Georgia. According to North Dakota attorney generals cite I'm good to go even though I'm not yet 21. I did see on handgunlaws.us that carry under 21 was prohibited. Anyone know if this is true? I know handgunlaws.us isn't the best place to find it so I'd just like to know if there would be any statue requiring the non-resident carrier to be 21.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I am 19 years old and have a valid permit from North Dakota which is recognized in Georgia. According to North Dakota attorney generals cite I'm good to go even though I'm not yet 21. I did see on handgunlaws.us that carry under 21 was prohibited. Anyone know if this is true? I know handgunlaws.us isn't the best place to find it so I'd just like to know if there would be any statue requiring the non-resident carrier to be 21.
    When in Georgia, you will be subject to Georgia law.

Age to OC or CC in Georgia is 21 years old.

http://www.opencarry.org/age.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Well there's a difference between the age required to apply for a Georgia permit and carrying on an out of state permit. In Michigan you must be 21 to apply to get a CPL but an 18 year-old from Indiana who has a carry permit can carry concealed.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

The best I could find would be this:
    O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
    Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.
    I have found no law saying you must be 21 to carry a handgun just that you must be 21 to apply for the permit.

Well there's a difference between the age required to apply for a Georgia permit and carrying on an out of state permit. In Michigan you must be 21 to apply to get a CPL but an 18 year-old from Indiana who has a carry permit can carry concealed.
    Wash, rinse, repeat - when in Georgia, you will be subject to Georgia law - only Georgia law.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Wash, rinse, repeat - when in Georgia, you will be subject to Georgia law - only Georgia law.
    I recognize that but I'm just making the comparison. Unless I can find a law saying that you must be 21 to carry in Georgia if I am there visiting family then I would be able to carry on my North Dakota permit.

Activist Member
    I recognize that but I'm just making the comparison. Unless I can find a law saying that you must be 21 to carry in Georgia if I am there visiting family then I would be able to carry on my North Dakota permit.
    First, IANAL.

Second, I agree with you. The only requirement for age that I can find is the same as others have found and this is the requirement that you be 21 to apply for a Georgia permit. There is no minimum age requirement for nonresidents for the permit of another state to be recognized that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    First, IANAL.

Second, I agree with you. The only requirement for age that I can find is the same as others have found and this is the requirement that you be 21 to apply for a Georgia permit. There is no minimum age requirement for nonresidents for the permit of another state to be recognized that I can find.
    It is unlawful to carry a handgun or concealable firearm, openly or concealed, on or about one's person without a license to carry.

No license will be issued to: Anyone under 21 years of age.
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ga.htm

Georgia does not honor North Dakota permits.
    http://www.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...375811,00.html

How can it be any more clear?

I will look more into Georgia recognizing the permit because everywhere I have looked lists that it is recognized.

But looking at the full text of the law IMHO I am correct.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
    Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.
    "whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part". Nothing in "this part" requires me to be 21. And again the laws of this state don't require you to be 21 to carry just 21 to get the Georgia permit.

Activist Member
    It is unlawful to carry a handgun or concealable firearm, openly or concealed, on or about one's person without a license to carry.

No license will be issued to: Anyone under 21 years of age.
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ga.htm

Georgia does not honor North Dakota permits.

How can it be any more clear?
    This brings up a good point. A direct reading of the Georgia statute O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 would suggest that North Dakota's permit is recognized in Georgia as Georgia's permit is recognized in North Dakota. On the contrary, however, Georgia's own website has a list of recognized permits that seem to contradict it's own law. One thing is for sure: this is one big clusterf*** of poor organization/execution on Georgia's part.

This brings up a good point. A direct reading of the Georgia statute O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 would suggest that North Dakota's permit is recognized in Georgia as Georgia's permit is recognized in North Dakota. On the contrary, however, Georgia's own website has a list of recognized permits that seem to contradict it's own law. One thing is for sure: this is one big clusterf*** of poor organization/execution on Georgia's part.
    I think for whatever reaon it just didn't make it on that list. Some secretary probably put it up.

Indeed there would seem to be a conflict when 16-11-126e is taking w/o considering other statutes - which of course you cannot do - such is clearly pointed out in 16-11-126(e), see blue, bold text.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state."

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
    (2) No weapons carry license shall be issued to:
    (A) Any person under 21 years of age.

Further supporting 21 year old requirement: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ga.htm

The Georgia Attorney General would seem to agree that North Dakota residents with ND permits are NOT included in reciprocity agreements.

Would definitely NOT want to be a test case on this issue.

Indeed there would seem to be a conflict when 16-11-126e is taking w/o considering other statutes - which of course you cannot do - such is clearly pointed out in 16-11-126(e), see blue, bold text.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state."

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
    (2) No weapons carry license shall be issued to:
    (A) Any person under 21 years of age.

Further supporting 21 year old requirement: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ga.htm

The Georgia Attorney General would seem to agree that North Dakota residents with ND permits are NOT included in reciprocity agreements.
    Lets just assume ND is recognized. "No weapons carry license shall be issued to:" does not mean someone 21 cannot carry. It just means to get the Georgia license you must be 21.To carry within the laws of that state would seem to me to include places where you can't carry or you can't drink while carrying stuff like that. Like I have been saying there is a difference between age to get the Georgia license and age to be able to carry on an out of state permit.

Lets just assume ND is recognized. "No weapons carry license shall be issued to:" does not mean someone 21 cannot carry. It just means to get the Georgia license you must be 21.To carry within the laws of that state would seem to me to include places where you can't carry or you can't drink while carrying stuff like that. Like I have been saying there is a difference between age to get the Georgia license and age to be able to carry on an out of state permit.
    Bottom line is you might have to "tell it to the judge" to get a favorable (or unfavorable) decision.

IMHO - "in compliance with the laws of this state" and age 21 requirement for issuance of a Georgia permit would be viewed as placing that burden upon ALL persons.

Wanna be the test case or would you agree that such compliance is prudent?

Bottom line is you might have to "tell it to the judge" to get a favorable (or unfavorable) decision.

IMHO - "in compliance with the laws of this state" and age 21 requirement for issuance of a Georgia permit would be viewed as placing that burden upon ALL persons.

I just wanna find out what the law is, that's why I started the thread. I appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The last time the Attorney General updated their reciprocity list was in January, 2008:
    http://law.ga.gov/00/press/detail/0,...850559,00.html

The North Dakota Attorney General says they have full reciprocity with Georgia:
    http://www.ag.nd.gov/bci/CW/reciprocity.htm

I agree, and apparantly so does John Pierce, the founder of this site, that xmanhockey7 can carry in Georgia on his North Dakota license at 19 years old. Georgia is an open carry state for valid license holders only (and military/law enforcement exceptions). Yet, even with the license required to carry, John Pierce says there is no statutory age limit for open carry with a license:
    http://www.opencarry.org/ga.html

It would stand to reason that there would be no statutory limit for concealed carry which requires the exact same license as open carry.
    No statutory age limit to OC, but there is for CC which John does not address.

Georgia Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor.
    (must be 21 years of age or older)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

No statutory age limit to OC, but there is for CC which John does not address.

In Georgia CC is the same as OC as far as the law is concerned. If you could get handgunlaws.us to provide us a cite as to how they came up with the must be 21 part, and it was legitimate I would completely believe it.

Grapeshot,

I am surprised at you. Now you're just making stuff up.

Can you please show us where there is any distinction made in Georgia law between concealed carry and open carry? It's simple, John Pierce correctly states in his summary that there is no statutory lower age limit in Georgia code for CARRYING a firearm. Georgia code says that a firearm may be carried in accordance with Georgia law for CARRYING a firearm. Georgia law says that a GA resident must posses a GWCL to carry, or an out-of-state resident must possess a recognized out-of-state permit. Period, that's all. Georgia law says that a valid permit issued by a state that recognizes Georgia's permit will be valid in Georgia. Georgia code does NOT require that the person also meet the requirements for the Georgia permit.
    How do you define "just making stuff up" when I have cited the reference?
    Granted I'm not as cognizant of nuances with Georgia as I tend to be of those in Virginia.

Respectfully, you are citing another website's opinion which differs from this website's opinion. Georgia LAW, the ACTUAL STATUTE says that his permit is valid in Georgia. the ACTUAL STATUTE never states that he must also meet the requirements for Geogia's license, only the other website does.
    Thank you. Just because handgunlaws.us says something is law doesn't always mean it is. They do their best and cite some of the stuff they find but not that.

xmanhockey7:

In Georgia..., The Age Limit to OWN a Handgun is 18, per Georgia Code 16-11-132, as is Codified under Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of Volume 14A of The Official Code of Georgia Annotated.

However, The Age to CARRY a Handgun is 21, as it is Impossible under Georgia Law to Carry a Handgun without First Meeting at least 1 or more of The Enumerated Exceptions Listed under 16-11-126, under The Same Index.

You Cite an Exception..., and that Exception is NOT VALID, because, North Dakota Permits are NOT Honored under Reciprocital Agreements with Georgia.

The Information You Seek is Veiwable here: http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...375811,00.html

aadvark

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    xmanhockey7:

In Georgia..., The Age Limit to OWN a Handgun is 18, per Georgia Code 16-11-132, as is Codified under Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of Volume 14A of The Official Code of Georgia Annotated.

However, The Age to CARRY a Handgun is 21, as it is Impossible under Georgia Law to Carry a Handgun without First Meeting at least 1 or more of The Enumerated Exceptions Listed under 16-11-126, under The Same Index.

You Cite an Exception..., and that Exception is NOT VALID, because, North Dakota Permits are NOT Honored under Reciprocital Agreements with Georgia.

The Information You Seek is Veiwable here: http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...375811,00.html

aadvark
    Georgia's state law is that they recognize all permits from states that recognize their. The state of North Dakota recognizes Georgia's permits. I'm assuming this list is old due to the fact they talk about two states recently added and they were added in 2008. And I am considering getting a New Hampshire permit which would definitely be recognized in Georgia. So like I have been saying no one has found a statue requiring the carrier to be 21 just that to get a Georgia permit you must be 21.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126

Georgiapacking.org as well as North Dakota's website and everywhere else I have looked does recognize North Dakota's as valid. http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflr.php

aadvark,

You need to contact the North Dakota Attorney General, Wayne Stenehjem and tell him he is mistaken, then, because he sure seems to think he has reciprocity with Georgia:
    http://www.ag.nd.gov/BCI/CW/reciprocity.htm

His website also says this:

Given that the Georgia Department of Public Safety's information has NOT BEEN UPDATED since January 15, 2008 and is 3 1/2 years old, who do you think is more likely to have incorrect information posted on their website, THE Attorney General of the State of North Dakota, or the Georgia Department of Public Safety?

handgunlaw.us votes for THE Attorney General of the State of North Dakota. usacarry.com votes for THE Attorney General of the State of North Dakota. The NRA-ILA votes for THE Attorney General of the State of North Dakota. Oh, and I forgot georgiapacking.org....

So, do you REALLY know more than the above resources? Do you REALLY know more than THE Attorney General of the State of North Dakota and the NRA? You are up against some pretty heavy hitters there, and basing your statements upon info that is 3.5 years old.

Also, Georgia law says that xmanhockey7 can carry on his recognized permit and says NOTHING about having to also qualify for a GWCL.
    Thank you for your insight and help. If we were looking at lets say North Carolina it might be a little bit harder to figure out whether or not I could.
    As of August 14, 2003, North Carolina also allows certain out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed handguns, pursuant to such permits in North Carolina if the person’s respective state also grants such privilege to North Carolina concealed handgun permittees. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.24(a) The list of states granting such reciprocity, and therefore, recognized by North Carolina, is constantly changing. You should refer to the North Carolina Department of Justice’s website at www.ncdoj.com for a current listing of those states which are allowed to carry, pursuant to their concealed carry permits in North Carolina. While carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified out-of-state permittees are held to the same standards as North Carolina permittees. Consequently, there are a number of areas where concealed handguns cannot be carried in North Carolina, regardless of the individual having a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Again, this list is set forth on the North Carolina Department of Justice’s website. Also included on the website is a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” for carrying a concealed handgun in North Carolina. In order to acquire a North Carolina permit, an individual must apply to the sheriff's office in the county in which he/she resides. As part of the application process, the applicant must accomplish the following:
    "While carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified out-of-state permittees are held to the same standards as North Carolina permittees." Does that standard include being 21 or just not allow me to carry anything besides a handgun? I'm not sure. But I wouldn't carry in NC unless I could get an answer from the AG or a firearms attorney.

Op i dunno if your license is honored or not...but iirc NH will issue you a license if you have one from another state...so you can get a NH license and carry in GA for sure....there is no age limit as who can carry as long as they are licensed....(or exempt under 16-11-130)

for example Alabama issues at 18 and people from there can carry here on their license
    Last edited by rmodel65; 08-21-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Moderator / Administrator

I don't think so - to place a burden on the permit holder from another state georgia would have to state the restriction like virginia does/