• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dont have a 1911 yet, but found the one I want..

Richieg150

This is the 1911, I'm wanting to buy..... I have read the Kimbers have extractor problems, but have no experience with the Kimbers myself, but a friend of mine talks highly about the Kimbers....but I like the look of the Wilson and have read they function flawlessly, trying to find a shop that has one I can actually hold, but the two dealers close to me,special order them, when they do get one in, its out the door or sold before they even get it in....
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb.htm

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Excellent choice. I haven't heard anything negative about Wilson Combat. Of course for the price, it better be awesome! I love 1911s, I have 4, none as nice as a Wilson though. What kind of holster are you considering.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Wilson and have read they function flawlessly, trying to find a shop that has one I can actually hold, but the two dealers close to me,special order them, when they do get one in, its out the door or sold before they even get it in....

Check the forsale forums on mocarry primmersinmyshoe has a great one with the highly accurate set up, the 50 yard 1" group guarantee.

xdmcompact

I know alot of people do not like Taurus firearms but they make a very nice 1911, depending on model between $600 and $800. I have owned one and am waiting on them to come out with their newest version a compact 1911 in 9mm. Ruger is about to release or has recently released their own version of the 1911, not sure the price of the Ruger. I will say Wilson Combat is a top of the line 1911 manufacturer, I could never afford one though.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I know alot of people do not like Taurus firearms but they make a very nice 1911, depending on model between $600 and $800. I have owned one and am waiting on them to come out with their newest version a compact 1911 in 9mm. Ruger is about to release or has recently released their own version of the 1911, not sure the price of the Ruger. I will say Wilson Combat is a top of the line 1911 manufacturer, I could never afford one though.

I have Taurus 1911 as well, great gun! The Ruger is out, it is running between $700-$800. Do you have any details about the Taurus 9mm?

Richieg150

Excellent choice. I haven't heard anything negative about Wilson Combat. Of course for the price, it better be awesome! I love 1911s, I have 4, none as nice as a Wilson though. What kind of holster are you considering.

I havent checked on holsters yet, have read some are useing leather holsters for this weapon, I'm kinda hopeing Serpa makes a leval 2 holster for it, but havent even started looking into holsters.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Taurus 1911s are not "terrible." But take a look at the insides. (i've owned 3)

DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

Last edited:

xdmcompact

I have put almost 2000 rounds thru my Taurus 1911 before I sold it. (needed money more than the gun at the time) regret getting rid of it. I know the first run of 1911's from Taurus had a problem with the ambi saftey popping out of the gun on the left side. My first one did that and Taurus replaced it, got the replacement and put almost 2000 rounds thru it without a single malfunction. I do know that Taurus uses alot of MIM (metal Injection molding) parts in there guns and hear thats why alot of people do not like them. I never planned to buy another Taurus firearm after my pt145 but got the 1911 and will buy another 1911 from Taurus.

c45man

XDM, what generation Tuaurus 145 did you own? I have a second generation and had no problems.

How much are wilsons going for these days? Personally, by wallet begins to shake if I even walk by one. They are quality though, right along with Les Bear and Ed Brown.

xdmcompact

XDM, what generation Tuaurus 145 did you own? I have a second generation and had no problems..

I believe mine is a third gen, I have had feed issues but believe that is a problem with the factory mags. I have bought pro mag mags but the hole for the catch is in a different spot and does not seat the mag far enough into the gun. My factory mags do not sit high enough into the gun anymore, I have to hold them up for the gun to fire without nosediving a round into the feed ramp.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I believe mine is a third gen, I have had feed issues but believe that is a problem with the factory mags. I have bought pro mag mags but the hole for the catch is in a different spot and does not seat the mag far enough into the gun. My factory mags do not sit high enough into the gun anymore, I have to hold them up for the gun to fire without nosediving a round into the feed ramp.

Spend the extra money and get some Wilson Combat magazines. I am using them in my Taurus and they work wonderfully!

45acpForMe

This is the 1911, I'm wanting to buy..... I have read the Kimbers have extractor problems, but have no experience with the Kimbers myself, but a friend of mine talks highly about the Kimbers....but I like the look of the Wilson and have read they function flawlessly, trying to find a shop that has one I can actually hold, but the two dealers close to me,special order them, when they do get one in, its out the door or sold before they even get it in....

I'll admit the 1911 design is a great gun. I would strongly suggest before spending that much cash you shoot a couple 1911's (rent or borrow) and break them down and clean them to see how you like the gun. If I spent that much I would be too worried that I would scratch it or ding it from every day carry. It is a beautiful gun and Wilson is a high quality name.

I have/had Colt, Springfield and Para 1911's. As far as quality and reliability the Colt wins hands down. My Colt was less than half the price of what you are looking at. I toy with the idea of getting another 1911 but each time I fear placing the idiot mark on it (especially if I spend a high dollar amount) since it only take one careless moment to put a scratch on it while assembling it after cleaning. If I had to do it over again I would send my Colt in to the custom shop to get a lighter trigger pull (4lb) and a brushed stainless finish on it but I sold it to fund another purchase.

Good luck in your purchase!

xdmcompact

Spend the extra money and get some Wilson Combat magazines. I am using them in my Taurus and they work wonderfully!

He asked me about my PT145 not my 1911, that's what I am having mag trouble with. My Taurus 1911 never gave me an ounce of trouble I had four factory mags and four Chip McCormick mags all worked perfectly.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
He asked me about my PT145 not my 1911, that's what I am having mag trouble with. My Taurus 1911 never gave me an ounce of trouble I had four factory mags and four Chip McCormick mags all worked perfectly.

Oops, misread that one, sorry :). Chip McCormick mags are great as well.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I have read the Kimbers have extractor problems,...

I won't pretend to be an expert on Kimbers, but I do carry a Kimber Custom Covert II. From what I remember reading, Kimber experimented several years ago with an external extractor, but it wound up not being a good one (though S&W and Sig and Dan Wesson are successfully using external extractors). Perhaps this is what you might be thinking of. Modern Kimbers have the original internal extractor. I've never had problems with mine. I not only carry it, and practice my carry ammo, but I also shoot IDPA and USPSA with the same Kimber, and all the practice that goes along with that.

xdmcompact

This is posted on Missouri Shooting Sports Association www.missouricarry.com

For Sale - Les Baer Premier II 1911, 45acp, 1½"@50
For sale is one of my Les Baer PIIs (I have two). This is the Tactical model (corners slightly rounded off). It's used but not abused.

It has the 1.5" @ 50 yard guarantee. That is an option available, at an additional charge.

This 1911 is a tack driver. I still have the famous plain cardboard box that Baer uses.

I'm selling to fund another 1911 purchase.

You will get the smiley spring plug in addition to the original.

Link:
http://www.lesbaer.com/Premier5.html

Quote from website: Customers can request a "1-1/2” groups at 50 yds.” guarantee on many 5” and 6” steel pistols. This service is available only on Les Baer Pistols. Add... $ 295.00

Price is $1,650.

Price lowered to $1,500.

Price lowered to $1,400.

Wetworx

Go for it, man! I just got a CQB Elite a few weeks ago and I love it! I had wanted a Wilson Combat for so many years, but always got other brands of 1911's. I carry mine in a Comp-Tac CTAC. Once you get a Wilson, you'll never look back! :)

WalkingWolf

If you can still find them Sistema Colt Modelo 1927 usually run around $300, They are surplus colts built in Argentina on a colt license. Parts are completely interchangeable with original colts. Though as the original colt designed for ball ammo they only need minor smithing to handle hollow points. I owned one years ago and was talked out of it by a buddy. The gun functioned flawlessly with all ammo with no smithing, I got lucky on it. I replaced it eventually with a star 9 largo because it fits my wifes small hands better. The stars also block the hammer instead of the sear.

.45acp

I have several Wilson's, 5" and 4" Guns (not to mention a shotgun and AR type rifle).

The 4" Stealth is my CC 1911 and is a great pistol. I bought it back in 2002, I only have 6,000 +/- rounds through it, mostly reloads and a couple of hundred Fed 230 Gr. Hydroshocks.

The 5" Tactical Elite and only has 1500 rounds or so through it. I don't carry this gun much so it does not get shot as much.

Both of these guns are outstanding in terms of function, realiablity and accuracy. If you want a Wilson I say go for it, you'll not be disappointed and if there is an issue with gun, Wilson will make it right. I have not heard of anyone being hung out to dry by the Wilson guys.