• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liberty missouri

phator

I know its legal i talked to the lt. At police station and went over the city codes with him. I only open carry at night since i have to walk my dog and i get off work at midnight and don't get home until almost one.

I was just trying to find people from liberty to just have general discussions.

ColtJD45

I know this is an old thread but I just happened to run across this website and thread. I am curious, is it still legal to open carry in Liberty? Is this something the cops would harass you for doing?

OC for ME

Sec. 22-21. - Weapons offenses.permanent link to this piece of content

Unlawful use of weapons.

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed on or about his person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
(2) Sets a spring gun; or
(3) Discharges or shoots a firearm within the limits of the city; or
(4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner; or
(5) Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated; or
(6) Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof, or into any public assemblage of persons met for any lawful purpose; or
(7) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.
(8) Possess a switchblade knife, knuckles, or any firearm that is not readily identifiable as a firearm. (OC is not specifically addressed)

3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (6) and (7) of subsection 1.....

4. Subdivisions (1), (6), and (7) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to section 571.094 of the Missouri Revised Statutes or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state. (571.094 does not exist)

5. Subdivisions (3), (4), (6), and (7) of Subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to Section 563.031 RSMo. (Defense of person is addressed but not defense of property per 563.041 RSMo)

6. Nothing in this section shall.....

7. Any person convicted of violating subsection 1.....

8. No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed and carry endorsement issued pursuant to 571.094 RSMo or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(1) Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol office.....

(2) Within twenty-five feet of any polling place on any election day......

(3) The facility of any adult or juvenile detention or correctional institution,.....

(4) Any courthouse occupied by the circuit, appellate or supreme court.....

(5) Any meeting of the governing body of a unit of local government; or any meeting of the general assembly.....

(6) Any building, park, sports complex, grounds, or any other property that is owned, leased, or maintained by the City of Liberty;

(7) Any establishment licensed to dispense intoxicating liquor or nonintoxicating beer for consumption on the premises, which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose without the consent of the owner or manager. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any bona fide restaurant open to the general public having dining facilities for not less than fifty persons and that receives at least fiftyone percent of its gross annual income from the dining facilities by the sale of food. This subdivision does not prohibit the possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the establishment and shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is in the premises. Nothing in this subdivision authorizes any individual who has been issued a conceal carry endorsement to possess any firearm while intoxicated; (This part seems to contravene state statute)

(8) Any area of an airport.....

(9) Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law;

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility.....

(11) Any portion of a building used as a childcare facility.....

(12) Any church or other place of religious worship without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing.....

(13) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen (14) inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch.....

(14) Any sports arena or stadium with a seating capacity of five thousand or more.....

(15) Any hospital accessible by the public......

9. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivision (1) to (15) of subsection 8 of this section by any individual who holds concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to 571.094 RSMo shall not be a criminal act.....

(Ord. No. 4375, § 1, 6-1-81; Ord. No. 8652, § 1, 3-22-04)

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11164

http://www.ci.liberty.mo.us/index.aspx?NID=19
Boycott Liberty Missouri. There is a great deal of work to be done to clean up the unlawful use of weapon code for Liberty.

OC for ME

I know this is an old thread but I just happened to run across this website and thread. I am curious, is it still legal to open carry in Liberty? Is this something the cops would harass you for doing?
Get a recording device and be prepared for harassment. There are a great many places that the cops will likely think is off limits but would be wrong. Liberty's city code is extrememly long and a great many prohibitions are listed applying to CC. OC is not specifically addressed but don't risk using that as a defense if you get popped by the local fuzz.

ColtJD45

I personally asked two Liberty officers at QT about open carry, they basically told me they don't know. They said they would most likely stop me and ask why I had a visible gun. But basically they did not know the actual laws. They just told me to conceal it. I don't doubt they would jump all over questioning anybody with a firearm on their hip, that might be the most excitment they get most days in Liberty.

xdmcompact

I personally asked two Liberty officers at QT about open carry, they basically told me they don't know. They said they would most likely stop me and ask why I had a visible gun. But basically they did not know the actual laws. They just told me to conceal it. I don't doubt they would jump all over questioning anybody with a firearm on their hip, that might be the most excitment they get most days in Liberty.

Can not say this enough do not ask the police if OC is legal, most do not know the law, the rest will lie to keep you from doing it.

kylemoul

Law enforcement that does not know the law? Another reason not to take no advice what so ever from them.

Whiskey

I carry in Liberty quite often. Never had an issue, but most people don't see my weapon even though it's right in the open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbofreek

Been trying to find out as well. Is a permit required for open carry? Or is it just a safe net incase harrassment is in order

M1A shooter

Liberty Open carry

Read RSMo 21.750 and all the related links. The State allows open carry but since Excelsior just banned open carry, there must be something I'm not seeing that allows cities to do this. RSMo 21.750.2 basicly says that no city or town can prevent open carry but then they muddy the water with all kinds of exceptions.

Last edited: