• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Philly

Chaingun81

Hey Y'all!

I'm planning a short one day visit to Philly. I hold a resident VA CHP and would like to carry while I'm there. I prefer to CC in unknown places if possible.

Will probably have my XD in either 9 or 45 and maybe a LCP as a backup. Am I ok to do that? Any special limitations I need to be aware of (parks, family restaurants serving alcohol, duty to notify officer, etc.)?

Thanks!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hey Y'all!

I'm planning a short one day visit to Philly. I hold a resident VA CHP and would like to carry while I'm there. I prefer to CC in unknown places if possible.

Will probably have my XD in either 9 or 45 and maybe a LCP as a backup. Am I ok to do that? Any special limitations I need to be aware of (parks, family restaurants serving alcohol, duty to notify officer, etc.)?

Thanks!

To my knowledge, Philadelphia requires it's own carry permit (separate from the regular PA permit) in order to OC or CC. You may be better served posting this in the PA forum.

There are some good details about firearm carry in Philly in this article.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Hey Y'all!

Thanks!

You will be fine, most especially since you are planning on going CC. Philly is not the ideal place to OC, and I'm afraid I have to recommend against it, unless you really know what you are in for and are ok with the risk.

As with any other state, you will want to be aware of the presence of schools and steer clear of the Federal 1000' GFSZ, and also be aware that there are numerous National Park areas. National Park buildings are prohibited if federal employees work in them.

To my knowledge, Philadelphia requires it's own carry permit (separate from the regular PA permit) in order to OC or CC. You may be better served posting this in the PA forum.

There are some good details about firearm carry in Philly in this article.

Philly does not require it's own permit, actually LTCF, License To Carry Firearms. The PA LTCF is the same throughout Pennsylvania, no matter where it was issued.

Ah, OK, now that I've read the article you linked I see where this is coming from. The "Directive 137" is an abomination and contains numerous errors. I swear it was written by an imbecile. It was recently produced by Philly, and we are still working on getting it corrected.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Philly does not require it's own permit, actually LTCF, License To Carry Firearms. The PA LTCF is the same throughout Pennsylvania, no matter where it was issued.

Ah, OK, now that I've read the article you linked I see where this is coming from. The "Directive 137" is an abomination and contains numerous errors. I swear it was written by an imbecile. It was recently produced by Philly, and we are still working on getting it corrected.

Yes, I did a little more research and saw that you are also correct. Confusing to say the least. It seems that OC is okay in Philly with a valid PA permit.

http://paopencarry.org/open-carry-questions-answers#2

Last edited:

taurusfan

Be extremely careful parking in Philly they like to tow cars and make you pay a lot to get the car back. I fear they are even worse than New York City in this regard.

At least we can have a gun in Philly!

Blk97F150

Since you will be traveling through the Peoples Republik of Merryland:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html
926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

mrjam2jab

Chaingun81;1591555 Any special limitations I need to be aware of (parks said:
Parks - City/County/State Concealed No limitations....although Philly has several National Parks that do have restrictions.
Restaurants serving alcohol - No limitations
Duty to inform - No

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Since you will be traveling through the Peoples Republik of Merryland:

Blk 97 is correct: it is pretty much necessary to go through the dreaded Maryland. If the OP has the time and disposition, he could take one of the back routes through there into PA and enjoy the scenery. He could go through one of the narrow parts of MD into, say, Gettysburg and likely be unnoticed. From there, the push into Philly would be pretty safe and easy.

I've CC'd in Philly a few times, but I wouldn't have the nerve to OC, even though it is legal with my VA permit. The Philly cops take a dim view of the practice, legality notwithstanding, and could ruin your whole visit. Philly is kind of like the old Norfolk on steroids. They still think they can make their own laws, and don't need no steenkin' ideas from Harrisburg, that little hick town!