Thread: Anyone here shop at military surplus stores?

Anyone here shop at military surplus stores?

Last edited by mik253; 10-23-2016 at 01:40 AM.

Thumbs down

o_O

I practically do all my clothes shopping at my local surplus store.

I love how we are going to ignore the fact that all the people we have arrested for terrorism in this country or the last 10 years have all been muslim men betwen the ages of 18-45 usually of middle eastern or arab decent save 1 muslim convert american woman, because knowing who are enemy is would be racial profiling and that would be "bad"

So instead we go after legal law abiding citizens who, heaven forbid, want to be prepaired for an emergency.

+thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Huh. That list of suspicious actions is kinda strange when you think about it...

Demands identity privacy? In an age of rampant identity theft, NOT showing your ID except when absolutely necessary is just being smart. I'd be intensely suspicious of a store that cards customers who are buying cookies (the single item I'm most likely to buy in a surplus store is MRE cookies, I love the things).

Insists on paying with cash? I don't own a credit card, I only use a debit card for my groceries and gas. I pay cash for everything else. Since when is paying with legal tender an indication of terrorist activity?

Changes appearance? How would you define this in such a way, that someone with little or no common sense can't misconstrue it? Does this mean that to avoid being reported to the feds as a possible terrorist, I'm not allowed to change clothes between visits to a store?

Missing fingers? Chemical burns? My friends and I are definitely blue collar types. A fair number of people I know have suffered workplace accidents, and a few of those leave lasting marks. And last time I checked, discrimination against someone for a physical disability isn't legal.

Racism/religion? Last I checked, both varieties of speech fall under the first amendment. For a government agency to circulate a flier describing exercise of a protected right to be a sign of terrorist activities isn't good.

Condones violence? Advocates violence in support of a cause? That describes almost every cop I've ever met. It describes my sister's ex, who is active duty army (ranger). It probably describes the FBI agents who helped draft that flier.

Displays interest in odd uses of items? That describes me, more often than not. I take things apart and use the parts for various things. I own a lamp that was five different things in the past (only two of which were lamps). I've found that surplus flashlight pouches are the ideal magazine pouch for the magazines my paintball gun uses.

Possesses little knowledge of purchased items? So...all those terrorist training camps we hear about don't actually TEACH the terrorists to use equipment? This one is one of the weirdest of the lot, since it would tend to direct greater scrutiny to a housewife stocking an earthquake kit than it would a gung-ho nutjob who knows every single possible use for the contents of an MRE.

Makes bulk purchases? I could sortof see it for things like bipods and nightvision gear. But the entire point of MREs is bulk purchases; Buying just one doesn't do your emergency kit a whole lot of good. And how many is bulk, anyway? Is a box of ammunition bulk? A can? A crate? Depending on who you talk to, buying enough to fill a magazine could be declared a bulk purchase.

Going by that list, my elderly mother, the woman who wants to ban all guns, knives and explosives, who is a devoted pacifist, who is working off and on stocking a disaster kit, is more likely to be the subject of a terrorism investigation than a highly trained actual terrorist!

This is funny

Just about every suspicious activity listed in the left hand column covered pretty well the owner of the last Mil-Surp Store I shopped in.

He displayed just about every suspicious trait except for the credit card item.

He said he insisted in paying cash. Didn't trust the Government not to snoop in his credit transactions.

Had missing digits on one hand.

Smelled like a Chemical Factory.

Promoted stockpiling everything; Tools, Food, Gold, Ammo, Guns

and on, and on.

So what do we have here? A potential Terrorist that runs a Military Surplus Store??? or just another Citizen that doesn't trust the Government? Gee, why wouldn't he, especially being in business and having them as a de facto partner due to their taxation.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

It seems that the FBI is learning from the communist block. Spy on your countrymen, require id, report on others, etc...

And can anyone explain what a "night flashlight" is? I didn't know that I own a dozen daytime flashlights.

Angry Mil-surp stores

Sounds like a lot of work for store employees to go through to no real purpose...

If I go into a store [and military surplus stores are in short supply in town] to get some paracord and a box of MREs, in no way am I required to provide ID, especially using cash.

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    And can anyone explain what a "night flashlight" is?
    I'm not completely sure what that is either. Perhaps it's an odd way of saying "infrared illuminator"?

I could of sworn I read something from the movie "Red Dawn".... then I saw that it was issued by REAL Departments, and I raged! This stuff is insane to say the least! I went to a few surplus stores before, and I never had been asked any of these things, and if I was, I'd probably not shop there anymore. This is f*****g ridiculous and scary, shame on the govt to issue such things.

I love how they say to look out for suspicious behavior because someone's speech, actions, beliefs, appearance, or way of life is different, they say that it's important to remember that just because someone's speech, actions, beliefs, appearance, or way of life is different does not mean that he or she is suspicious.

No one one here has anything to worry about after all. We all carry guns around in full view of the public, so we know "they're" already watching us. I mean, who does that, really??
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Dupe.

I posted this days ago...

Link

oh fak! I think I might be under survielance... I went to a surplus store bought ammo and high capacity mags for AK-47 and Ar-15s, a bipod for a rifle, asked what kind of household items could I get anywhere that could sterilize water and be used for other purposes(6 drops of bleach per gallon). Whats worse is I shaved off my beard I grew in Houston. I think I am screwed
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    oh fak! I think I might be under survielance... I went to a surplus store bought ammo and high capacity mags for AK-47 and Ar-15s, a bipod for a rifle, asked what kind of household items could I get anywhere that could sterilize water and be used for other purposes(6 drops of bleach per gallon). Whats worse is I shaved off my beard I grew in Houston. I think I am screwed
    I guess we'd better report you now huh.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Targeted or Not ??

Send the local FBI office an email and express your concern. I'll let you know if they answer me.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

I'm sure glad the government has some crack minds working on this very pressing terrorism problem, which, as we all know, presents an existential threat to the "homeland" and our way of life.

/sarcasm

Flashlights

I only use my flashlights during the day.
    I take my flashlight batteries out at night and disable them.

Live Free or Die!

Are there even any military surplus stores left? I used to go to the duffle bag in Tacoma but I don't know of any that have taken its place.

I am a long time patron of the foxhole, they only have the one store left now down off berkley but there are several shops right there along the strip across from the base.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post

Afterall, you're just thinking of the children!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post

I assume it's properly registered, you have a licence to carry such, you've been properly trained in its use, AND you notify all local LE in advance when you walk around with it?

Still too dangerous, you should just use a mirror. Flashlights should only be carried by gov't professionals.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack
    I'm sure glad the government has some crack minds working on this very pressing terrorism problem
    You may have identified the cause of the problem right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Ya my wife wanted me to say that she thinks we will be ok. As long as surplus stores dont sell PC flight simulator programs. I e-mailed the Puyallup FBI office of the poster... will let you know if I get a response. Also asked my name was aquired by the Sheriff in pierce county when they illegaly demanded AR-15 sales reciepts.
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

I buy on occasion at Edís Surplus in Lynnwood, decent selection of goods.

surplus

Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    I am a long time patron of the foxhole, they only have the one store left now down off berkley but there are several shops right there along the strip across from the base.
    I've spent quite a bit of time in the foxhole. They don't give you a second glance on what you buy. It's my sons favorite store just to go in and look around.